• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Silver Lining or Too Good to Be True?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I saw this list today:

Where abortion stands in your state: A state-by-state breakdown of abortion laws

It looks like at least so far, many states either only ban abortion after 13 weeks or don't ban it at all. The six-week ban in Texas and Ohio is currently an outlier, if that list is accurate.

That looks like some silver lining in that the vast majority of abortions happen before 13 weeks and also because, since most states aren't as restrictive about abortion, Ohio and Texas will hopefully have neighboring states that allow it so that it's at least a bit easier for women living there to travel and get an abortion in another state.

However, I may be missing something due to my unfamiliarity with the nuances of state-specific laws. Is this as consoling as it looks, or are there caveats that give it a deceptive appearance of silver lining? I suspect some politicians will try to go after the 13-week limit or even women who have abortions in other states, but I'm asking about things as they currently stand.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Because as soon as Roe is overturned it, all these red states are going to ban it totally now that they can, that is their goal, not partial bans

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I saw this list today:

Where abortion stands in your state: A state-by-state breakdown of abortion laws

It looks like at least so far, many states either only ban abortion after 13 weeks or don't ban it at all. The six-week ban in Texas and Ohio is currently an outlier, if that list is accurate.

That looks like some silver lining in that the vast majority of abortions happen before 13 weeks and also because, since most states aren't as restrictive about abortion, Ohio and Texas will hopefully have neighboring states that allow it so that it's at least a bit easier for women living there to travel and get an abortion in another state.

However, I may be missing something due to my unfamiliarity with the nuances of state-specific laws. Is this as consoling as it looks, or are there caveats that give it a deceptive appearance of silver lining? I suspect some politicians will try to go after the 13-week limit or even women who have abortions in other states, but I'm asking about things as they currently stand.
I listen to a podcast hosted by a doctor in West Virginia. A few weeks ago, she said that abortion would automatically become a felony in her state if Roe v. Wade were overturned. This is more pessimistic than the article you linked to.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I saw this list today:

Texas is a huge state. And surrounded by other states likely to follow suit. Texas is 1.2 times the size of France. Add in the neighboring countries and you have an area that is the same size as Western Europe.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
From my perspective one of the more interesting observations to be found in the referenced article is ...
Kansas

The right to abortion is protected by state law. Voters will decide on Aug. 2 whether to change the state constitution to say there is no right to abortion. [emphasis added]
As the conservatives seek to consolidate and advance, Voting Rights will come under increasing attack and become an ever more critical civil rights issue.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I saw this list today:

Well then the politicians have to answer to the people they serve. They serve at our will. So there is no one to blame for the state of the state we live in other than ourselves.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Texas is a huge state. And surrounded by other states likely to follow suit. Texas is 1.2 times the size of France. Add in the neighboring countries and you have an area that is the same size as Western Europe.
This suggests that assisting people in traveling to other
states for medical services will become a useful charitable
service to those in need. It will pay benefits over & above
securing their former right.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
This suggests that assisting people in traveling to other
states for medical services will become a useful charitable
service to those in need. It will pay benefits over & above
securing their former right.
I can even see a very very small percentage abusing that sort of charity and then others reacting in false indignation and trying to make a general claim about all that have to rely on such services. Life goes on.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That looks like some silver lining in that the vast majority of abortions happen before 13 weeks

I suspect that most American women wanting abortions will continue to have access to them. They may have to travel, but we can expect a host of pro-choice charities to arise to help with that. Also, at least one employer has already pledged up to $4000 support for any employee, spouse, or dependent on their insurance plan that wants an abortion and needs to go out of state for it.

She Couldn’t Get an Abortion in Texas. So She Went to Mexico.

F1fan

Veteran Member
From my perspective one of the more interesting observations to be found in the referenced article is ...

As the conservatives seek to consolidate and advance, Voting Rights will come under increasing attack and become an ever more critical civil rights issue.
I vote in Kansas and there are many signs out about this issue. I'm not sure why there is a vote in August when the midterms are in November, but that is how it is. It could an attempt to sway the result by scheduling a vote knowing more conservatives will show up, even moreso than the midterms. Kansas elected a Democrat for governor and a representative in Johnson County, so we are moving towards blue. But it is no slam dunk. Kansas is very rural and it is hard to predict these divisive issues. At least the majority of Americans support abortion access so that is a good indicator.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I saw this list today:

The red states tend to make women jump through hoops, which takes time. I think they are hoping to put the women off so they will change their minds or so they won't make it to the appointments before the time limit.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Because as soon as Roe is overturned it, all these red states are going to ban it totally now that they can, that is their goal, not partial bans
And Pence has already said what the goal is - a law banning it everywhere in the US.

Orbit

I'm a planet

I doubt New Mexico (a blue state) will follow suit. Already women from TX are traveling to NM for termination services. I'm waiting to see if TX will try to litigate against NM.