• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

silencing my inner humanist

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
(This is in the Christianity DIR)

It’s been just under a year since I accepted Christ as my Lord and Saviour, and I got properly baptised at the end of January this year. Since then I’ve been reading up on Christianity and spending time with other Christians as much as possible, to learn from them and to absorb the faith! Along the way I briefly slipped back into some of my old mad habits (e.g. simulation theory) but such madness is now well behind me, I am happy to report...

I am very serious about my religion and realise that spiritually, I’m still developing.

Before I became a Christian I was a deistic humanist, and before that a secular humanist and an atheist…

However, when thinking about stuff I still find that I sometimes still think as a secular humanist rather than as a Christian – I still come out with some very humanist things that don’t really sit with my religious beliefs, perhaps this is simply a matter of habit?

Basically, at times I come up with secular stuff rather than religious stuff. That's my problem! My thinking is obviously still somewhat secular!

Humanism may be a good moral compass that helps some people behave well, but I want a moral compass that points me towards God! I believe that I need to discard my old Humanist compass and start using my new Christian one. I feel as though I have started to do this with a considerable degree of success...

Any advice as to how I can further silence my inner humanist?

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
I would say Love your neighbor as yourself, and it will help you love God with all your heart, might, mind and strength.

74x12

(This is in the Christianity DIR)

It’s been just under a year since I accepted Christ as my Lord and Saviour, and I got properly baptised at the end of January this year. Since then I’ve been reading up on Christianity and spending time with other Christians as much as possible, to learn from them and to absorb the faith! Along the way I briefly slipped back into some of my old mad habits (e.g. simulation theory) but such madness is now well behind me, I am happy to report...

I am very serious about my religion and realise that spiritually, I’m still developing.

Before I became a Christian I was a deistic humanist, and before that a secular humanist and an atheist…

However, when thinking about stuff I still find that I sometimes still think as a secular humanist rather than as a Christian – I still come out with some very humanist things that don’t really sit with my religious beliefs, perhaps this is simply a matter of habit?

Basically, at times I come up with secular stuff rather than religious stuff. That's my problem! My thinking is obviously still somewhat secular!

Humanism may be a good moral compass that helps some people behave well, but I want a moral compass that points me towards God! I believe that I need to discard my old Humanist compass and start using my new Christian one. I feel as though I have started to do this with a considerable degree of success...

Any advice as to how I can further silence my inner humanist?
Not everything humanists believe is wrong; but if you want to align more with God's view; then it's good to study the Bible more.

Romans 12:2
And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

2 Timothy 2:15
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

It's good to set aside times at day and/or night to study and think of God's Word.

Psalm 1:1-3
Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.

Psalm 119:9
Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
What does that mean exactly? Philosophically, it’s at odds with religion as it’s means of information is not a fan of revelation of any sort and always inclines toward the sciences. It’s like having a nice robot that is able to deduce from results of experiments, but is short circuited when it gets into the complexity of love, human relationships, trust, belief, morals, etc. Humanism instantly spiders into thousands of competing positions. Like many secular systems, it’s only able to maintain itself by keeping it unrestricted and simple…………..Be nice………….the end.

The problem with casting out an entire philosophy or system of belief is that it assumes everything in it is a thing of the world. Is being nice really something Humanism invented? The answer is obvious to everyone. Their inclination toward the sciences is a good thing for example. The inherent flaw in most Christians (majority of denominations), is the inability to discern what they must keep and what they must dispose of.