• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Silence

Salty Booger

Royal Crown Cola (RC)
Some say that silence is the canvas on which everything exists. For me this brings to mind the time I have spent sitting in nature and simply..."observed." To find quiet moments in life that allow us to simply appreciate seem more rare as we grow older.

pexels-ian-beckley-2440061.jpg
Photo by Ian Beckley from Pexels

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Besides the absence of sound, silence can refer to the absence of thought, a goal in several forms of meditation. I wish that was as easy as finding the absence of sound.

It is also seen (in our home at least) as the absence of children

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
Some say that silence is the canvas on which everything exists. For me this brings to mind the time I have spent sitting in nature and simply..."observed." To find quiet moments in life that allow us to simply appreciate seem more rare as we grow older.

View attachment 50791
I actively seek solitude in nature as part of my routine. There is something invigorating about taking a brief moment to drink in a forest far from the sounds and sights of people.

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member

View attachment 50791
If you are interested, the is a Japanese concept termed Shinrin-yoku that literally means forest bathing. It is spending time enjoying the woods. There is research that supports the benefits of doing this.

TSTS

There is silence in the absence of noise. There is silence between the notes, There is silence between the thoughts.....so on and so forth...but....

The absence of noise isn't silence, just like the absence of wars isn't peace.

Surely 'any silence' induced by practice, by drugs, by nature etc, is contrived and artificial.

Thus the observer is more concerned with understanding the nature of silence than being busy 'experiencing' a contrived silence.

Otherwise silence then becomes the new drug, the new panacea, the new projection, and before long it becomes part of the old and the known.

Last edited: