• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sikhs: How do you view Ramayana and Mahabharata?

ronki23

I'm particularly interested in how you view the Bhagavad Geeta as the fundamental message is to do your dharma (duty)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I am not a Sikh though I respect Sikh Gurus just like I respect Hindu sages. Dharma in all Indic religions (Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism and Sikhism) is the same.
As you know Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji has poetry by 15 bhagats, 11 bhatts (brahmins), nearly all of them Hindu, and Sikhs do not respect anything more than that.

Last edited:

ronki23

I am not a Sikh though I respect Sikh Gurus just like I respect Hindu sages. Dharma in all Indic religions (Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism and Sikhism) is the same.
As you know Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji has poetry by 15 bhagats, 11 bhatts (brahmins), nearly all of them Hindu, and Sikhs do not respect anything more than that.

I always thought of Sikhism as a reform movement. The biggest problem at the time was castes,

ਚਾਰੈ ਪੈਰ ਧਰੰਮ ਦੇ ਚਾਰ ਵਰਨ ਇਕ ਵਰਨ ਕਰਾਯਾ॥ ਰਾਣਾ ਰੰਕ ਬਰਾਬਰੀ ਪੈਰੀਂ ਪਵਣਾ ਜਗ ਵਰਤਾਯਾ॥

Dharma was now established on its four feet and all the four castes (through fraternal feeling) were converted into one caste (of humanity). Equating the poor with the prince, he spread the etiquette of humbly touching the feet. (Bhai Gurdas Ji, Vaar 1, Pauri 7)

Quite a lot of Gurbani writes against the caste system

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Guru Nanak was not alone in rejecting castecism. Think of Ramananda, Kabir's guru who accepted a person raised by Muslims as his disciple. Think of Basavacharya of the Lingayats. Think of Chaitanya. Think of Saint Gnaneshwar.

ronki23

Guru Nanak was not alone in rejecting castecism. Think of Ramananda, Kabir's guru who accepted a person raised by Muslims as his disciple. Think of Basavacharya of the Lingayats. Think of Chaitanya. Think of Saint Gnaneshwar.

Not only the caste system but various rituals are disregarded in Sikhi

"The Sky is Your platter, The sun and moon are the 'Deepaks' the lamps (lights), The Stars in the sky are the pearls,The 'Dhoop' (Incense) is the fragrance, That the wind propels, The whole forest is Your flowers" Guru Nanak

"O Lord, Your name is the Aarti, Your name is the Flower, the saffron, and the sandalwood That is offered to You. Your Name is the (Deeya) The Lamp, the oil and the cotton That is lighted in it. With the Light that Your Name gives out, The whole world is brightened. Your Name is the Thread and Your Name is also The Flowers that are strung into that thread. All that I offer to You is Yours. Your Name is the flywhisk, that you use, The (Chant of Your) True Name, We offer to You, All is false except Your Name!" Guru Ravidass

"He does not eat food; he tortures his body. Without the Guru's wisdom, he is not satisfied." (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, Ang 905)"

"Let your mind be content, and be kind to all beings. In this way, your fast will be successful." (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, Ang 299)

"I do not keep fasts, nor do I observe the month of Ramadaan. I serve only the One, who will protect me in the end. " (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, Ang 1136)

ronki23

Here's some more,

"Meaningless is caste and meaningless (caste) names,
The same shadow protects all beings"

SGGS page 83

"Truthfulness is the criterion"
SGGS page 142

"Discern the light; do not enquire (one’s) caste;
There is no caste in the hereafter"

SGGS page 349

"Do not enquire about (one’s) caste and birth
Preach the True Sastra
Caste and honour are determined by deeds"

SGGS page 1330

"There are lower castes among the low castes,
And some are absolutely low:
Nanak seeketh their company,
What hath he to do with the high ones?"

SGGS page 15

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Not only the caste system but various rituals are disregarded in Sikhi.
They are disregarded in many sects of Hinduism as well, but they exist in practicality, even among Christians and Muslim. Let a Jat Sikh marry a Mazhabi (take the case of SGPC President Jagir Kaur and her daughter).

GURSIKH

chardi kla
@GURSIKH how do you view Ramayan and Mahabharat /Geeta?

Dear Ronki, Sikhs holds Shri Krishna and Shri Rama in high regards. They are purest part(ansh) of God/Waheguru but not God/Waheguru. Waheguru as Mool Mantra says is Ajooni(Unborn), we cannot confine Waheguru to a particular form, shape, colour or sex.

ronki23

Dear Ronki, Sikhs holds Shri Krishna and Shri Rama in high regards. They are purest part(ansh) of God/Waheguru but not God/Waheguru. Waheguru as Mool Mantra says is Ajooni(Unborn), we cannot confine Waheguru to a particular form, shape, colour or sex.

As a Sikh what do you think about the Bhagavad Geeta and its message ?