• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sikhs: Do all 'religions' lead to God?

Satnaam

Conquer your mind
This is a misconception. There are many evil cults out there, do they lead to god too, No they don't.
Who will define whether a religion is not a cult? Just because many people seem to follow something it doesn't make it a religion, there was a time when Nazism was rampant

We as Sikhs do respect all religions, our Gurus built mosques and gave up their lives defending Hindus BUT we do not believe that every religion out there leads to god. Yes, Hindus Muslims Christians can become one with God but not through the rituals that are part of/crept into their faith but the basics. So its not their religion per se leading them to god.

For example Sufis, Advaita Vedandists have a lot in common with Sikhs. But then will Wahhabism lead to God? I think only love and devotion leads to god, not any label. So we should stop saying that Sikhi believes all religions lead to god because then you can't say cults don't lead to god. And I'm sure many bad cults exist out there, if followed by more people would start to be called religions :)

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
The line between Religion and Cult is dubious at best. A whole lot thinner than many (often religious) people like to admit.
It is an interesting question though, just who decides between a cult and religion.

I don't think Nazism can be considered a cult or religion. More like a tyranny. It's a particular ideology steeped in oppression, superiority and fear. But Nazism itself doesn't proclaim any deities, worship practices/rituals or anything of the sort. Many considered themselves some flavor of Christian, but I'd be hesitant to label any Nazi who proclaims to be Christian as an accurate representation of the faith. But I digress.

That's all I really wanted to say.

Satnaam

Conquer your mind
Ofcourse Nazism is not religious or whatever, it is simply an ideology. But I just gave it as an example that some 'evil' or 'bad' things are at times practised by millions of people, so how could a 'religion' followed by millions also not be evil and no better than some sick cults? Do you understanding what I'm trying to imply?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Ofcourse Nazism is not religious or whatever, it is simply an ideology. But I just gave it as an example that some 'evil' or 'bad' things are at times practised by millions of people, so how could a 'religion' followed by millions also not be evil and no better than some sick cults? Do you understanding what I'm trying to imply?

I understand the implication, I just don't know if I necessarily agree with it. Religion is certainly not above "evil" (however one defines the word) nor is it ever this elevated divine being. It's still man made at the end of the day. But that's just silly little me's perspective. So what do I know?

There very well may be "evil" religions out there. I don't know every religion in existence. So I agree with you in the sense that it's certainly possible.

The thing is Religion is often.......complicated, with many many facets and many differing perspectives all huddled together. Just look at even the Abrahamic Religions. They all are less vague than the Eastern religions (generally speaking) and more centered around a common core. But there are still hundreds if not thousands of sects within each Religion, and each of those sects have their own divisions and so on and so forth. Some of those sects may even veer more towards "cult" territory. Depending on who you ask, I guess.
Cults tend to be a little more simple (generally.) But they tend to look unhealthy to the "outsiders." Usually noted by an unusually high amount of dependency on the part of those within the walls of said cult.
My point is that religion, generally is not as straightforward as one being all good and one being all evil. They're different certainly. But I don't know if that automatically makes them "evil" or even "good." As for which is the most "truthful" or the "one true religion" I'm going to politely sidestep/evade that one, for I don't think it's my place to say anything.

I will say though, people of all faiths do seem to have a disgusting habit of doing horrible things in the name of "God/Goddess" in order to excuse themselves. I see that more as a reflection of the people in question who would do such things, than I do the specific religion they claim to be a part of however.

The line between cult and religion is rather tenuous, but I guess it's still there and probably always will be. If you get me?

Last edited:

Satnaam

Conquer your mind
No, Sikhs believe there is One. Thats why I posted this question in Sikh DIR for those ignorant Sikhs whose views do not make sense ("all religions lead to god").

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
No, Sikhs believe there is One. Thats why I posted this question in Sikh DIR for those ignorant Sikhs whose views do not make sense ("all religions lead to god").
Is it to some degree a consensus among Sikhs that being led to god is better than following a religion, if for some reason you have to choose between the two?

Asha

Namaste

I can understand what the majority of Sikhs are meaning when they say ''All Religions lead to God'', they are meaning all Theistic Religions lead to God.

I would be happy to go along with this if we take it in the context that I imagine that it was said.

I think on the whole religion is taken to mean the faith system that a person or nationality adheres to. And genuine religions have very deep cultural history and are generaly based arround some conception, all be it a constantly evolving understanding, of a higer being, God or a system of Gods.

When you speak of Cults ? What exactly do you mean ? are these off shoots of established religions ?

in which case prehaps some are searching for different ways of understanding God, but it is true that there have been some cults that have built up arround an individual personality and in the process of doing so have perverted the true purpose of religion. In this case such Cults dont lead to God but instead they lead away from God consciousness.

But are these Cults Religions ? some deliberately throw out the God concept inorder to replace it with a godless philosophy.

To me all religions do lead to God , the remainder be thet cults or philosophies shouldnt realy be thought of as religions should they ?

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Sat Siri Akal = Truth ultimately is without death...So religions with concepts of death, leading people to make a covenant with death, are also clearly leading the wrong way. :innocent:

Treks

No religion leads to "god", not even Sikhism. Religion is the problem! Naam is the key and can be accessed by anyone no matter their religion.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Namaste

I can understand what the majority of Sikhs are meaning when they say ''All Religions lead to God'', they are meaning all Theistic Religions lead to God.

I would be happy to go along with this if we take it in the context that I imagine that it was said.

I think on the whole religion is taken to mean the faith system that a person or nationality adheres to. And genuine religions have very deep cultural history and are generaly based arround some conception, all be it a constantly evolving understanding, of a higer being, God or a system of Gods.

When you speak of Cults ? What exactly do you mean ? are these off shoots of established religions ?

in which case prehaps some are searching for different ways of understanding God, but it is true that there have been some cults that have built up arround an individual personality and in the process of doing so have perverted the true purpose of religion. In this case such Cults dont lead to God but instead they lead away from God consciousness.

But are these Cults Religions ? some deliberately throw out the God concept inorder to replace it with a godless philosophy.

To me all religions do lead to God , the remainder be thet cults or philosophies shouldnt realy be thought of as religions should they ?
I so wish this were not in a DIR. Then I could answer.

Satnaam

Conquer your mind
No religion leads to "god", not even Sikhism. Religion is the problem! Naam is the key and can be accessed by anyone no matter their religion.

Half truth, latter part is right but Sikhi does leads to god, because Sikhi is Gurmat and if you follow Gurbani you achieve oneness.

ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਜਿਨੀ ਪਛਾਣਿਆ ਸੇ ਦੇਖਹਿ ਸਦਾ ਹਦੂਰਿ ॥
Gurmaṯ jinī pacẖẖāṇi▫ā se ḏekẖėh saḏā haḏūr.
Those who follow the Guru's Teachings realize Him, and see Him Ever-present.
ਮਃ 3

ਅਬਿਚਲ ਨੀਵ ਧਰੀ ਗੁਰ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਿਤ ਨਿਤ ਚੜੈ ਸਵਾਈ ॥੨॥੧੫॥੨੪॥
Abicẖal nīv ḏẖarī gur Nānak niṯ niṯ cẖaṛai savā▫ī. ||2||15||24||
Guru Nanak laid the immovable foundation, which grows higher and higher each day. ||2||15||24||
ਮਃ 5

Satnaam

Conquer your mind
Namaste

Asha, thats is my very question. What religions do lead to god according to those Sikhs who make these claims? Only theistic ones? Where in the SGGS is that stated? I am trying to show their logical fallacy.
By cults I mean anything from the cults in the west which indugle in immoral and criminal activities to the millions of Babas in India with alot of followers who are occasionally accused of rape, murder, brain washing, forced castration of followers and what not. Some of these like Ram Rahim Sirsa have millions of followers and believe their so called prophet leads them to God. Just as you summed it up: 'but it is true that there have been some cults that have built up arround an individual personality and in the process of doing so have perverted the true purpose of religion'
And where do you draw the line between cult and religion? No offence intended but if Islam only had 2 million followers today it wouldn't be considered a religion but a cult by media or people.

Asha

Namaste

As this problem affects Hinduism as much as it affects Sikhi, I hope I am not offending any one by answering in this DIR?

Asha, thats is my very question. What religions do lead to god according to those Sikhs who make these claims? Only theistic ones? Where in the SGGS is that stated? I am trying to show their logical fallacy.

Is this beleif verbalised by some Sikhs that ''all religions lead to God'' .. actualy contained within Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, if so how is this writen ?

Or does it come from the closseness and the common origins shared between the early Sikhs and their Neiboring Hindus, Could this expression be an example of the religious tollerance fostered by Sikhs ?

Is this just a peacefull and respectfull way of allowing each to practice in their own way and adhering to their cultural traditions ?

I do understand your point though, that many religions do seem to have departed from their primary concerns and become less God conscious and respectfull to others.
These prehaps should not be classed as religions ?

Asha

Namaste

I so wish this were not in a DIR. Then I could answer.

Thank you for exercising the respect not to give an Anti theistic oppinion to this qustion which is a theistic concern.
Please by all means answer by Private Message.

Treks

Namaste

Thank you for exercising the respect not to give an Anti theistic oppinion to this qustion which is a theistic concern.
Please by all means answer by Private Message.

It's not just a theistic concern. There are atheist Sikhs.

Treks

I thought Sikhism was not exactly theistic?

Precisely. Personally I would enjoy reading your responses, Luis.

Actually, is it kosher for *me* to be replying in the Sikh DIR? Where does one draw the line around who does and doesn't belong.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
As I understand it, all DIRs are functionally green these days (and IIRC this one was green even before the software transition), and therefore respectful answers are allowed, although debate is not.

Actually, debate is not allowed in DIRs, period. It matters little whether it is happening only among "natives".