• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sikhism?

chinu

chinu
How else to be happy?
How else to be fair?
Story example: A pig who was invited by king to live in his garden as a permanent resident.

King; Hello pig !
Pig: Hi king !

King: I invite you to live in my garden permanently, do you ?
Pig: Please give me some time, I will decide this opportunity with my wife. Will give you my final decision tomorrow.

Day after asked the king; What’s your decision dear ?
Pig; Actually me, my wife, in fact whole family is very confused!

King; why confused ?
Pig; actually what kind of place is garden we want to know ? Is there a plenty of dirt to enjoy ? So that we could enjoy whole life ?

Moral of story:
Like, a pig who thinks that garden might be some kind of place which might be having a plenty of dirt to enjoy.
Similarly, we human think that heaven might be some kind of similar place.
Whereas, in reality the things that we humans enjoy on earth are equal to dirt in comparison to heaven.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Religion DOESN’T mean any special kind of community, or a mind set.

Rather, religion simply means re-union with... from where we all started the journey of life in the beginning.

Or, simply re-union with God.
" Religion DOESN’T mean any special kind of community, or a mind set."

Then why name "Sikhism" as a Religion, please?
It must be one's own comprehension, I understand. Right, please?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
You inferred that today's Sikh's are the way they are today (a huge generalisation, BTW) by reading their sacred book? So Nanak prophesised how Sikhs would behave today?

So by the same logic, I can understand you by reading the Koran, or the works of the Mirza Gulam?
" by reading their (Sikhism) sacred book "

Yes please, and to be more pertinent by reading Nanak's hymns in the "Granth", as I understood them. Right,please?

One would may please like to recall that my present search/research of "Sikhism" started with the post #1 in the thread "Are these the authorized versions of Sri Guru Granth Sahib?" and then with other threads* in different sub-forums of RF, please. Right, please?

Regards

Isn’t it an incorrect translation of the word “sikh” as “Sikh”,please?
Did Nanak name any scripture as "Granth"
Did Angad and his successive “gurus” alter Nanak’s hymns in Granth?
Is it unscientific to know Nanak from Nanak's words?
Didn't Nanak’s hymns form a complete code for “Sikhism”?

Sikhism: Did Nanak proclaim to be Guru?
Who was Nanak’s Guru?
Did Nanak mention Sikhism as a religion in Granth?
Sikhism: did Nanak receive any direct Converse of G-d?

Is "sikh" a common noun and "Sikh" a term?
Historicity of Nanak’s travels?

Last edited:

chinu

chinu

Similarly like.. “Math” is kinda study which is for the people of whole world. Rather, just group of few people.

It must be one's own comprehension, I understand. Right, please?
Regards
It can be, yes.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Story example: A pig who was invited by king to live in his garden as a permanent resident.

King; Hello pig !
Pig: Hi king !

King: I invite you to live in my garden permanently, do you ?
Pig: Please give me some time, I will decide this opportunity with my wife. Will give you my final decision tomorrow.

Day after asked the king; What’s your decision dear ?
Pig; Actually me, my wife, in fact whole family is very confused!

King; why confused ?
Pig; actually what kind of place is garden we want to know ? Is there a plenty of dirt to enjoy ? So that we could enjoy whole life ?

Moral of story:
Like, a pig who thinks that garden might be some kind of place which might be having a plenty of dirt to enjoy.
Similarly, we human think that heaven might be some kind of similar place.
Whereas, in reality the things that we humans enjoy on earth are equal to dirt in comparison to heaven.
nice try.....I like it

and here we are in this place

wallowing in the dust

PearlSeeker

The word "Sikh" itself = "Learner"
Sikh doesn't mean.. a turban, a beard or an any special type of clothing, or ritual etc. (Beware! becuase Its all just man made things)

Everybody/everyone on this earth is "Learner" (Sikh) by default because nobody is complete on this earth.
There's NO need to be "Sikh" because all people are "Sikhs" on this earth, by default.

Yes its also true to say that: "Sikh" = "By-default"
No need to be :)
Then the "L" (learner) sign shield should be changed to "S". If I continue your reasoning then all people would be S-s.

images

GURSIKH

chardi kla
I have a guy who has offered to teach me about Sikh ,I'm wondering if anyone can explain it to me?Debate is welcome.

Sikh(Shishya in sanskrit) means a 'student' and Guru means a 'teacher' -a perfect teacher who is one with the ONE(Ek-ONKAAR), A Sikh follows the teachings of the Guru to realize his/her true-self i.e. Oneness among all.

I hope you learned the basic definition of Sikhi/Sikhism.Further questions are welcomed

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I notice that it's a tradition for Sikhs to become
engineers, & move to SE Michigan for work.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Are you in the same field ? that might be the reason as probability of encounter increases.
I am!
How ever did you guess that?
I did work for a couple Sikhs. It's interesting that in India
they used many of the same engineering textbooks that
I did here. One said that a former prof of mine, Joseph
Shigley, was "revered as a god" there. (He did write some
fine books on analysis & design.) Pleasant memories.

GURSIKH

chardi kla
I am!
How ever did you guess that?
I did work for a couple Sikhs. It's interesting that in India
they used many of the same engineering textbooks that
I did here. One said that a former prof of mine, Joseph
Shigley, was "revered as a god" there. (He did write some
fine books on analysis & design.) Pleasant memories.
:D I have some spiritual guessing powers. Anyways its true regarding textbooks some authors do resonate with our own frequency . Respect automatically come for these authors. Once such book in Physics is Electrodynamics by Griffith.

Prior to Service sector and Industry boom, Sikhs were mainly into Agriculture and Army. Now its fully diversified.

Did you ever discussed religion with your Sikh colleagues ?

Here is one guy related to your field making tall claims regarding lithium batteries, Lets see if his company can deliver

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
:D I have some spiritual guessing powers. Anyways its true regarding textbooks some authors do resonate with our own frequency . Respect automatically come for these authors. Once such book in Physics is Electrodynamics by Griffith.

Prior to Service sector and Industry boom, Sikhs were mainly into Agriculture and Army. Now its fully diversified.

Did you ever discussed religion with your Sikh colleagues ?

Here is one guy related to your field making tall claims regarding lithium batteries, Lets see if his company can deliver

We never discussed religion....other than
the meaning of the dagger & rings.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
paarsurrey said:

Similarly like.. “Math” is kinda study which is for the people of whole world. Rather, just group of few people.

It can be, yes.

And Guru Nanak Ji didn't name any religion with the name "Sikhism" and or "Sikhi" or "Sikh Dharam" , I understand, please. Right?
If yes, then kindly quote from Guru Nanak Ji, please.

Regards

GURSIKH

chardi kla
And Guru Nanak Ji didn't name any religion with the name "Sikhism" and or "Sikhi" or "Sikh Dharam" , I understand, please. Right?
If yes, then kindly quote from Guru Nanak Ji, please.

Regards
Guru Nanak used "Sikh" for the followers/Students

ਵਡਭਾਗੀ ਗੁਰ ਕੇ ਸਿਖ ਪਿਆਰੇ ਹਰਿ ਨਿਰਬਾਣੀ ਨਿਰਬਾਣ ਪਦੁ ਪਾਇਆ ॥੨॥
vaddabhaagee gur ke sikh piaare har nirabaanee nirabaan padh paiaa ||2||
Very fortunate are the beloved Sikhs of the Guru; through the Lord, they attain the supreme state of Nirvaanaa. ||2||

Shabad O my life-mates, O Sikhs of the Guru, O Siblings of Destiny, instruct me in the Teachings, that I might merge in the Lord's Merger. ||1||Pause||. ਮੇਰੇ ਪ੍ਰਾਨ ਸਖਾ ਗੁਰ ਕੇ ਸਿਖ ਭਾਈ ਮੋ ਕਉ ਕਰਹੁ ਉਪਦੇਸੁ ਹਰਿ ਮਿਲੈ ਮਿਲਾਇਆ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ - SikhiToTheMax