• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sikhism: Did Nanak proclaim to be Guru?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Why would it matter?

Sikhism is very interesting Faith from a Baha'i perspective given many similarities between the Teachings of the two Faiths. Both faiths have struggled at some point to be recognised as independent religions.

Whereas Baha'is view Gautama Buddha and Krishna as Manifestations of God, there is no clear reference to the Sikhs or their Gurus in the Bahá'í Writings, (although it is believed that Ábdu'l-Baha made reference to the Sikhs when He was talking about the existence of a physically strong people who neither smoke nor drink). Bahá'í's might view Guru Nanak as better understood as one of sainthood, rather than independent prophethood. In a letter from the Universal House of Justice, it is stated that Guru Nanak was endowed with a "saintly character". In the same letter, the Universal House of Justice states that he was

"inspired to reconcile the religions of Hinduism and Islam, the followers of which religions had been in violent conflict.... The Bahá'ís thus view Guru Nanak as a 'saint of the highest order' ".

Common principles might include:

- Sikhs believe in One God (Satnam, Waheguru)
- Men and women are equal
- Rejection of any system of class or caste
- Deeds are more important than membership of any particular religion
- A high standard of conduct and morals
- The importance of service to others
"Sikhism is very interesting Faith"

Sure, it is. That is why I am studying it from its roots that is from Nanaks' contents in the Granth. Has one studied it? If yes, then the answer should be simple. Right, please?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
The Baha'i see Guru Nanak as one who was "…inspired to reconcile the religions of Hinduism and Islám, the followers of which religions had been in violent conflict.… The Bahá'ís thus view Guru Nanak as a 'saint of the highest order'."

He had many great teachings.

Regards Tony
Please give an answer specific from Nanak's contents in the Granth, from the roots, please. Right, please?
Has one read Granth, please?

Regards

danieldemol

Premium Member
My question in the OP is about Nanak from his contents in the Granth specifically. Please look into it. Right, please?

Regards
Why should I waste time on a pointless exercise?

Let us suppose Nanak never used the words “I am a Guru”, does this mean he was not a Guru? Does the apple have to proclaim itself an apple in order to be an apple?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Let us suppose Nanak never used the words “I am a Guru”, does this mean he was not a Guru? Does the apple have to proclaim itself an apple in order to be an apple?
Reading Granth and specifically Nanak's contents in it will be useful for one. It won't harm one. Right, please?

Regards

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Does one mean that Nanak did not find anybody in his whole life to whom he could teach, and it was only after his demise that people became his disciples, please?

Regards

Hello paarsurrey, I hope you are well and happy. I say that is for you to decide upon.

I am sure the teachings given by Guru Nanak have helped and still help many people. As to how he was inspired to give those teachings, is for each to come to their own conclusions. I have posted as to how I as a Baha'i see Guru Nanak.

Many of His teachings, which Baha'u'llah has confirmed as a Noble path, have become my goal in life.

Regards Tony

danieldemol

Premium Member
“O Lalo, as I receive the word of the Lord, so do I utter.”3
Guru Granth Sahib, pp. 942, 943. 2. Ibid., p. 599. 3. Ibid., p. 722.
Does this overlooked portion of the text not represent an unambiguous claim to divine revelation?
Reading Granth and specifically Nanak's contents in it will be useful for one. It won't harm one. Right, please?

Regards
There is no harm in reading it, however looking specifically for words which prove nothing and may or may not exist is a waste of time right?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Anyone who has read Guru Nanak's writing(s) can see that he was a great master/teacher/guru of the highest order, who related to the people of his time by addressing issues that were dividing people.
He is one of the people that I am glad turned up in history.

And never wandering around spouting off how great he was. That's what makes teachers great ... some humility.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

All the Hindu gurus I've ever met would never say that. It's on their followers. Can you imagine the Dalai Lama going around saying that? He would lose so much respect.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
@paarsurrey ... Are you reading a translation, or an original? Translations can have a lot of bias, and I think it's good to be aware of that. I hope you do discover what you're looking for about Sikhism.

Coronavirus has been difficult on the Sikh community as they've had to stop langar. Here in my community, a couple of restaurants have taken that over, and provide free food for everyone, pick up only. But it's just not the same as going to the gurdwara first for prayer, then langar. All the volunteers have nothing to do, so some have gone over to the restaurants to help.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
@paarsurrey ... Are you reading a translation, or an original? Translations can have a lot of bias, and I think it's good to be aware of that. I hope you do discover what you're looking for about Sikhism.

Coronavirus has been difficult on the Sikh community as they've had to stop langar. Here in my community, a couple of restaurants have taken that over, and provide free food for everyone, pick up only. But it's just not the same as going to the gurdwara first for prayer, then langar. All the volunteers have nothing to do, so some have gone over to the restaurants to help.
I am reading from an English translation rendered by:

"The Khalsa Consensus Translation presented here is regarded by some Sikh scholars as being among the finest and most accurate english translation currently available. The author, Singh Sahib Dr. Sant Singh Khalsa has faithfully attempted to follow the original Gurmukhi text as closely as possible and maintain accuracy in page breaks and the numbering notations found in Sri Guru Granth Sahib.
https://www.sikhs.org/english/frame.html
sggs_h.jpg

English translation & phonetic transliteration of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ਸ੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਗਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੀ
It is the most favorite Sikh translation, i have not yet found any other online translation on any Sikh site, as of now.

"In the 2000s, a translation by Sant Singh Khalsa appeared on major Sikhism-related websites such as 3HO/Sikh Dharma Brotherhood's Sikhnet.com.[63]"
Guru Granth Sahib - Wikipedia

Dr. Sant Singh Khalsa cannot be biased against Sikhism, he could be biased for, being a human. Right, please?

Regards

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

"The Khalsa Consensus Translation presented here is regarded by some Sikh scholars as being among the finest and most accurate english translation currently available. The author, Singh Sahib Dr. Sant Singh Khalsa has faithfully attempted to follow the original Gurmukhi text as closely as possible and maintain accuracy in page breaks and the numbering notations found in Sri Guru Granth Sahib.
sggs_h.jpg

English translation & phonetic transliteration of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ਸ੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਗਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੀ
It is the most favorite Sikh translation, i have not yet found any other online translation on any Sikh site, as of now.

"In the 2000s, a translation by Sant Singh Khalsa appeared on major Sikhism-related websites such as 3HO/Sikh Dharma Brotherhood's Sikhnet.com.[63]"

Dr. Sant Singh Khalsa cannot be biased against Sikhism, he could be biased for, being a human. Right, please?

Regards

Seems like a wise choice.

I posed your question on a Sikh forum, and one person said Nanak referred to himself as Slave Nanak, not Guru Nanak. That seemed very reasonable to me.

Last edited:

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
The Baha'i see Guru Nanak as one who was "…inspired to reconcile the religions of Hinduism and Islám, the followers of which religions had been in violent conflict.… The Bahá'ís thus view Guru Nanak as a 'saint of the highest order'."

He had many great teachings.
I don't remember this being mentioned in Baha'i threads where there has been one or two Sikh posters. What made him a "saint"? And what did he do to "reconcile" Hinduism and Islam?

Sikhism is very interesting Faith from a Baha'i perspective given many similarities between the Teachings of the two Faiths. Both faiths have struggled at some point to be recognised as independent religions.

Whereas Baha'is view Gautama Buddha and Krishna as Manifestations of God, there is no clear reference to the Sikhs or their Gurus in the Bahá'í Writings
Guru Nanak Biography
For three days, Nanak disappeared, leaving his clothes by the bank of a stream called Kali Bein. When he returned, he remained silent for a while before pronouncing he had received a vision of God’s court and had returned to lead people to this divine amrita (nectar).

Nanak taught that God was beyond religious dogma and external definition. He said he would follow neither the Muslim or Hindu religion, but just God’s path.​

He had a vision. He started a religious movement independent from Islam or Hinduism. He had similar teachings to Baha'u'llah but came several hundred years before Baha'u'llah. Why isn't he a manifestation?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Guru Nanak Biography
For three days, Nanak disappeared, leaving his clothes by the bank of a stream called Kali Bein. When he returned, he remained silent for a while before pronouncing he had received a vision of God’s court and had returned to lead people to this divine amrita (nectar).

Nanak taught that God was beyond religious dogma and external definition. He said he would follow neither the Muslim or Hindu religion, but just God’s path.
He had a vision. He started a religious movement independent from Islam or Hinduism. He had similar teachings to Baha'u'llah but came several hundred years before Baha'u'llah. Why isn't he a manifestation?

He was Divinely Inspired, not the bearer of a Revelation from God. Hinduism, Christianity and Islam have countless adherents who have lived outstanding lives and brought new insights as did Nanak. They are seers and saints. That doesn’t make them Manifestations of God as with Krishna, Jesus or Muhammad.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Reference post #11 Vinayaka Chapter 6 of this should be helpful ... https://www.vidhia.com/Jagjit Singh/Dynamics_of_Sikh_Revolution.pdf.
And my post #18:
“Tera kawan gurujis ka tu chela … … … Sabad guru surat dhun chela.”1 Again, “The transcendent Lord, God, is the Guru whom Nanak has met.”2 Guru Nanak himself claims direct communion with God, and that his mission is a consequence of divine revelation. “O Lalo, as I receive the word of the Lord, so do I utter.”3
Guru Granth Sahib, pp. 942, 943. 2. Ibid., p.
599. 3. Ibid., p. 722.

One could see that Nanak here says that Lord,God is Nanak's Guru and he does not present himself as such.
Right, please?

Page 599

Day and night, serve at the Guru's feet; the Lord is the Giver, and the Enjoyer. || Pause || He is within - see Him outside as well; there is no one, other than Him. As Gurmukh, look upon all with the single eye of equality; in each and every heart, the Divine Light is contained. || 2 || Restrain your fickle mind, and keep it steady within its own home; meeting the Guru, this understanding is obtained. Seeing the unseen Lord, you shall be amazed and delighted; forgetting your pain, you shall be at peace. || 3 || Drinking in the ambrosial nectar, you shall attain the highest bliss, and dwell within the home of your own self. So sing the Praises of the Lord, the Destroyer of the fear of birth and death, and you shall not be reincarnated again. || 4 || The essence, the immaculate Lord, the Light of all - I am He and He is me - there is no difference between us. The Infinite Transcendent Lord, the Supreme Lord God - Nanak has met with Him, the Guru. || 5 || 11 ||

SORAT'H, FIRST MEHL, THIRD HOUSE:
ONE UNIVERSAL CREATOR GOD. BY THE GRACE OF THE TRUE GURU:

When I am pleasing to Him, then I sing His Praises. Singing His Praises, I receive the fruits of my rewards. The rewards of singing His Praises are obtained when He Himself gives them. || 1 || O my mind, through the Word of the Guru's Shabad, the treasure is obtained; this is why I remain immersed in the True Name. || Pause || When I awoke within myself to the Guru's Teachings, then I renounced my fickle intellect. When the Light of the Guru's Teachings dawned, and then all darkness was dispelled. || 2 || When the mind is attached to the Guru's Feet, then the Path of Death recedes. Through the Fear of God, one attains the Fearless Lord; then, one enters the home of celestial bliss. || 3 || Prays Nanak, how rare are those who reflect and understand, the most sublime action in this world. The noblest deed is to sing the Lord's Praises, and so meet the Lord Himself. || 4 || 1 || 12 ||

PAGE 599 - Gurmukhi to English Translation and Phonetic Transliteration of Siri Guru Granth Sahib.
Right, please?

Regards

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Reference post #11 Vinayaka Chapter 6 of this should be helpful ... https://www.vidhia.com/Jagjit Singh/Dynamics_of_Sikh_Revolution.pdf.
And my post #18:
“Tera kawan gurujis ka tu chela … … … Sabad guru surat dhun chela.”1 Again, “The transcendent Lord, God, is the Guru whom Nanak has met.”2 Guru Nanak himself claims direct communion with God, and that his mission is a consequence of divine revelation. “O Lalo, as I receive the word of the Lord, so do I utter.”3
Guru Granth Sahib, pp. 942, 943. 2. Ibid., p. 599. 3. Ibid., p.
One could see that Nanak here says that Lord,God is Nanak's Guru and he does not present himself as such.
Right, please?

Page 722
My Husband Lord is not pleased by these clothes, O Beloved; how can the soul-bride go to His bed? || 1 || I am a sacrifice, O Dear Merciful Lord; I am a sacrifice to You. I am a sacrifice to those who take to Your Name. Unto those who take to Your Name, I am forever a sacrifice. || 1 || Pause || If the body becomes the dyer's vat, O Beloved, and the Name is placed within it as the dye, and if the Dyer who dyes this cloth is the Lord Master - O, such a color has never been seen before! || 2 || Those whose shawls are so dyed, O Beloved, their Husband Lord is always with them. Bless me with the dust of those humble beings, O Dear Lord. Says Nanak, this is my prayer. || 3 || He Himself creates, and He Himself imbues us. He Himself bestows His Glance of Grace. O Nanak, if the soul-bride becomes pleasing to her Husband Lord, He Himself enjoys her. || 4 || 1 || 3 || TILANG, FIRST MEHL: O foolish and ignorant soul-bride, why are you so proud? Within the home of your own self, why do you not enjoy the Love of your Lord? Your Husband Lord is so very near, O foolish bride; why do you search for Him outside? Apply the Fear of God as the maascara to adorn your eyes, and make the Love of the Lord your ornament. Then, you shall be known as a devoted and committed soul-bride, when you enshrine love for your Husband Lord. || 1 || What can the silly young bride do, if she is not pleasing to her Husband Lord? She may plead and implore so many times, but still, such a bride shall not obtain the Mansion of the Lord's Presence. Without the karma of good deeds, nothing is obtained, although she may run around frantically. She is intoxicated with greed, pride and egotism, and engrossed in Maya. She cannot obtain her Husband Lord in these ways; the young bride is so foolish! || 2 || Go and ask the happy, pure soul-brides, how did they obtain their Husband Lord? Whatever the Lord does, accept that as good; do away with your own cleverness and self-will. By His Love, true wealth is obtained; link your consciousness to His lotus feet. As your Husband Lord directs, so you must act; surrender your body and mind to Him, and apply this perfume to yourself. So speaks the happy soul-bride, O sister; in this way, the Husband Lord is obtained. || 3 || Give up your selfhood, and so obtain your Husband Lord; what other clever tricks are of any use? When the Husband Lord looks upon the soul-bride with His Gracious Glance, that day is historic - the bride obtains the nine treasures. She who is loved by her Husband Lord, is the true soul-bride; O Nanak, she is the queen of all. Thus she is imbued with His Love, intoxicated with delight; day and night, she is absorbed in His Love. She is beautiful, glorious and brilliant; she is known as truly wise. || 4 || 2 || 4 || TILANG, FIRST MEHL: As the Word of the Forgiving Lord comes to me, so do I express it, O Lalo. Bringing the marriage party of sin, Babar has invaded from Kaabul, demanding our land as his wedding gift, O Lalo. Modesty and righteousness both have vanished, and falsehood struts around like a leader, O Lalo. The Qazis and the Brahmins have lost their roles, and Satan now conducts the marriage rites, O Lalo. The Muslim women read the Koran, and in their misery, they call upon God, O Lalo. The Hindu women of high social status, and others of lowly status as well, are put into the same category, O Lalo.
PAGE 722 - Gurmukhi to English Translation and Phonetic Transliteration of Siri Guru Granth
Sahib.
Right, please?

Regards

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

And my post #18:
Right, please?

Page 942
Without the Shabad, all are attached to duality. Contemplate this in your heart, and see. O Nanak, blessed and very fortunate are those who keep the True Lord enshrined in their hearts. || 34 || The Gurmukh obtains the jewel, lovingly focused on the Lord. The Gurmukh intuitively recognizes the value of this jewel. The Gurmukh practices Truth in action. The mind of the Gurmukh is pleased with the True Lord. The Gurmukh sees the unseen, when it pleases the Lord. O Nanak, the Gurmukh does not have to endure punishment. || 35 || The Gurmukh is blessed with the Name, charity and purification. The Gurmukh centers his meditation on the celestial Lord. The Gurmukh obtains honor in the Court of the Lord. The Gurmukh obtains the Supreme Lord, the Destroyer of fear. The Gurmukh does good deeds, an inspires others to do so. O Nanak, the Gurmukh unites in the Lord's Union. || 36 || The Gurmukh understands the Simritees, the Shaastras and the Vedas. The Gurmukh knows the secrets of each and every heart. The Gurmukh eliminates hate and envy. The Gurmukh erases all accounting. The Gurmukh is imbued with love for the Lord's Name. O Nanak, the Gurmukh realizes his Lord and Master. || 37 || Without the Guru, one wanders, coming and going in reincarnation. Without the Guru, one's work is useless. Without the Guru, the mind is totally unsteady. Without the Guru, one is unsatisfied, and eats poison. Without the Guru, one is stung by the poisonous snake of Maya, and dies. O Nanak without the Guru, all is lost. || 38 || One who meets the Guru is carried across. The residues of his sins and mistakes are erased, and he is emancipated through virtue. The supreme peace of liberation is attained, contemplating the Word of the Guru's Shabad. The Gurmukh is never defeated. In the store of the body, this mind is the merchant; O Nanak, it deals intuitively in Truth. || 39 || The Gurmukh is the bridge, built by the Architect of Destiny. The demons of passion which plundered Sri Lanka - the body - have been conquered. Ram Chand - the mind - has slaughtered Raawan - pride; the Gurmukh understands the secret revealed by Babheekhan. The Gurmukh carries even stones across the ocean. The Gurmukh saves millions of people. || 40 || The comings and goings in reincarnation are ended for the Gurmukh. The Gurmukh is honored in the Court of the Lord. The Gurmukh distinguishes the true from the false. The Gurmukh focuses his meditation on the celestial Lord. In the Court of the Lord, the Gurmukh is absorbed in His Praises. O Nanak, the Gurmukh is not bound by bonds. || 41 || The Gurmukh obtains the Name of the Immaculate Lord. Through the Shabad, the Gurmukh burns away his ego. The Gurmukh sings the Glorious Praises of the True Lord. The Gurmukh remains absorbed in the True Lord. Through the True Name, the Gurmukh is honored and exalted. O Nanak, the Gurmukh understands all the worlds. || 42 || "What is the root, the source of all? What teachings hold for these times? Who is your guru? Whose disciple are you? What is that speech, by which you remain unattached? Listen to what we say, O Nanak, you little boy. Give us your opinion on what we have said.
PAGE 942 - Gurmukhi to English Translation and Phonetic Transliteration of Siri Guru Granth Sahib.

Right, please?

Regards

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

And my post #18:

Right, please?

Page 943
How can the Shabad carry us across the terrifying world-ocean?" || 43 || From the air came the beginning. This is the age of the True Guru's Teachings. The Shabad is the Guru, upon whom I lovingly focus my consciousness; I am the chaylaa, the disciple. Speaking the Unspoken Speech, I remain unattached. O Nanak, throughout the ages, the Lord of the World is my Guru. I contemplate the sermon of the Shabad, the Word of the One God. The Gurmukh puts out the fire of egotism. || 44 || "With teeth of wax, how can one chew iron? What is that food, which takes away pride? How can one live in the palace, the home of snow, wearing robes of fire? Where is that cave, within which one may remain unshaken? Who should we know to be pervading here and there? What is that meditation, which leads the mind to be absorbed in itself?" || 45 || Eradicating egotism and individualism from within, and erasing duality, the mortal becomes one with God. The world is difficult for the foolish, self-willed manmukh; practicing the Shabad, one chews iron. Know the One Lord, inside and out. O Nanak, the fire is quenched, through the Pleasure of the True Guru's Will. || 46 || Imbued with the True Fear of God, pride is taken away; realize that He is One, and contemplate the Shabad. With the True Shabad abiding deep within the heart, the body and mind are cooled and soothed, and colored with the Lord's Love. The fire of sexual desire, anger and corruption is quenched. O Nanak, the Beloved bestows His Glance of Grace. || 47 || "The moon of the mind is cool and dark; how is it enlightened? How does the sun blaze so brilliantly? How can the constant watchful gaze of Death be turned away? By what understanding is the honor of the Gurmukh preserved? Who is the warrior, who conquers Death? Give us your thoughtful reply, O Nanak." || 48 || Giving voice to the Shabad, the moon of the mind is illuminated with infinity. When the sun dwells in the house of the moon, the darkness is dispelled. Pleasure and pain are just the same, when one takes the Support of the Naam, the Name of the Lord. He Himself saves, and carries us across. With faith in the Guru, the mind merges in Truth, and then, prays Nanak, one is not consumed by Death. || 49 || The essence of the Naam, the Name of the Lord, is known to be the most exalted and excellent of all. Without the Name, one is afflicted by pain and death. When one's essence merges into the essence, the mind is satisfied and fulfilled. Duality is gone, and one enters into the home of the One Lord. The breath blows across the sky of the Tenth Gate and vibrates. O Nanak, the mortal then intuitively meets the eternal, unchanging Lord. || 50 || The absolute Lord is deep within; the absolute Lord is outside us as well. The absolute Lord totally fills the three worlds. One who knows the Lord in the fourth state, is not subject to virtue or vice. One who knows the mystery of God the Absolute, who pervades each and every heart, knows the Primal Being, the Immaculate Divine Lord. That humble being who is imbued with the Immaculate Naam, O Nanak, is himself the Primal Lord, the Architect of Destiny. || 51 || "Everyone speaks of the Absolute Lord, the unmanifest void. How can one find this absolute void? Who are they, who are attuned to this absolute void?" They are like the Lord, from whom they originated. They are not born, they do not die; they do not come and go. O Nanak, the Gurmukhs instruct their minds. || 52 || By practicing control over the nine gates, one attains perfect control over the Tenth Gate. There, the unstruck sound current of the absolute Lord vibrates and resounds. Behold the True Lord ever-present, and merge with Him.
PAGE 943 - Gurmukhi to English Translation and Phonetic Transliteration of Siri Guru Granth Sahib.

Right, please?

Regards

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
paarsurrey said:

sggs_h.jpg

Seems like a wise choice.

I posed your question on a Sikh forum, and one person said Nanak referred to himself as Slave Nanak, not Guru Nanak. That seemed very reasonable to me.

I have checked Nanak's words in the Granth, it has been translated by Sant Singh Khalsa as "slave" not "Slave" without capitalization, please.
Please inform that website for correction, please.
Right, please?

Regards

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
paarsurrey said:

sggs_h.jpg

I have checked Nanak's words in the Granth, it has been translated by Sant Singh Khalsa as "slave" not "Slave" without capitalization, please.
Please inform that website for correction, please.
Right, please?

Regards

I see no difference.