• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sikhism and Marriage

Bishka

Veteran Member
Questions for y'all

Does either family or the woman or man pay a dowry?

Is intermarriage between faiths allowed?

Age allowed to marry?

Engagements?

Is Pre-Martial Sex Allowed?

How is Marriage defined (man and man, woman and woman, man and woman)?

Is marriage required?

Is divorce okay?

Sikhism

a true sikh is one has been baptised by the panj (recieved "amrit"), see earlier topics for more info. and i will answer your questions for a amritdhari sikh:
Does either family or the woman or man pay a dowry?
No, we believe in equality. i actually recall a hymn written by the guru praising women!
Age allowed to marry?
there isnt an age defined, but should be of a suitable age, where the bride and groom are mature enough to make this life commitment.
Engagements?
religiously there it isnt a must for an engament party, but for many there is an engagement and celebrations due to indian traditions.
Is Pre-Martial Sex Allowed?
No
How is Marriage defined (man and man, woman and woman, man and woman)?
man and women
Is marriage required?
yes we believe we can be liberated while living a family life and sharing with others, while doing as many prayers and mediation on god as time allows us. we don't believe like some eastern religions to go to jungles (or not get married) and JUST meditate on god. so family life is important, and this is the natural order of god for us to have children.
Is divorce okay?
No, but due to extreme circumstances it is understandable why some do get divorced. its not like you'll go to hell or suffer punishments.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I hope you'll forgive the following off-topic comment, but reading this post brought to mind a Sikh wedding that my wife and I were fortunate enough to attend. Actually, it was a multi day affair including lunch, wedding, and dinner party. I have never been in a more welcoming environment.