• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sikhism and Krishna

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Do the Sikhs believe that Krishna existed?
Not in the same way as most Hindus.
Sikhs do not believe in avatars as God coming down in a human form, so Krishna is usually nothing more than a wise or saint man to Sikhs.

Sikhism believes there have been many:
ਕੇਤੇ ਪਵਣ ਪਾਣੀ ਵੈਸੰਤਰ ਕੇਤੇ ਕਾਨ ਮਹੇਸ ॥
So many winds, waters and fires; so many Krishnas and Shivas.
- Page 7; Gurū Nānak Dev

ਹਰਿ ਆਪੇ ਕਾਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੁ ਉਪਾਇਦਾ ਮੇਰੇ ਗੋਵਿਦਾ ਹਰਿ ਆਪੇ ਗੋਪੀ ਖੋਜੀ ਜੀਉ ॥
The Lord Himself created Krishna, O my Lord of the Universe; the Lord Himself is the milkmaids who seek Him.
- Page 174; Gurū Rām Dās

And also uses Krishna etc. as metaphors:
ਆਪੇ ਗੋਪੀ ਕਾਨੁ ਹੈ ਪਿਆਰਾ ਬਨਿ ਆਪੇ ਗਊ ਚਰਾਹਾ ॥
The Beloved Himself is the milk-maid and Krishna; He Himself herds the cows in the woods.
- Page 606; Gurū Rām Dās

Or as mere names of the Lord:
ਏਕ ਕ੍ਰਿਸਨੰ ਸਰਬ ਦੇਵਾ ਦੇਵ ਦੇਵਾ ਤ ਆਤਮਾ ॥
The One Lord Krishna is the Divine Lord of all; He is the Divinity of the individual soul.
- Page 469; Gurū Angad Dev

Hope this clears it up a bit. :)

chinu

chinu
Do the Sikhs believe that Krishna existed?
Yes "Shri krishna" existed, There are many proofs for the existance of "Shri krishna" in "Guru Granth Sahib"
But... according to my personal understandings "Shri Krishna" is mentioned as "Kaal" (Nagative power) in "Gurbani".
While in one of his discourses to arjuna in the war of "Mahabharta", Krishna opened his mouth, and asked Arjuna to look inside. Arjuna saw that Krishna's mouth contained the whole universe, including millions of Kauravas, who looked like clouds, but then vanished from sight, after this krishna said arjuna that all creatures of the universe are eaten by me.:)

_/\_
Chinu