• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sikhism, a Yoga?

Sikh

Is Sikhism a Yoga? And by extension are all faiths merely Yogas, techniques to reach enlightenment?

Many ways of Building a Box sort of thing?

If we go by this definition, could this be why the Gurus maintained that all paths followed and contemplated sincerely, are Ok?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I think you are right bhai. :)

In some ways, Sikhi is a yoga, as yoga is "joining", and Sikhi's goal is to join with the One. However, Sikhi is a dharma. All dharmas are yogas, but not all yogas are dharmas.

This manmukh's $0.02. :)

zer0

I believe that's mostly true. I think they are all related to the same phenomenon and that the same ultimate truth can be found in all of them. It is, however, more prevalent in some rather than others. As far as calling them Yoga's... Yoga's are a 'union' of physical, psychological and spiritual techniques which one teacher has found very useful in his path to enlightenment. They are not necessarily separate religious beliefs. For instance, a Yoga of Christianity could be praying to God, eating those bread things and bowing down. Not necessarily a great Yoga but Christianity doesn't stress all the things Yoga is composed of.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Sure, why not
Maybe not the orthodox, Hindu Yoga, but a "yoking" nevertheless.

Maybe Yogi Bhajan...?? :)

YogiBhajan.jpg

He's the master of Sikh Yoga! :D

Onkara

I think this debate could go on for ever because Sikhism is a way of living and it only requires definition when trying to understand it or compare it with other religions.

In my understanding Sikhism is considered by Sikhs as a religion in-itself and so it doesn't refer to itself as a Yoga explicitly to my knowledge. (feel free to quote a source which does!)

Never the less there are references to Yoga in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib. So Yoga is definitely considered. srigranth.com.

For example:

ਬਿਲਾਵਲੁ ਮਹਲਾ ੯ ॥
बिलावलु महला ९ ॥
Bilāval mėhlā 9.
Bilaaval, Ninth Mehl:

ਹਰਿ ਕੇ ਨਾਮ ਬਿਨਾ ਦੁਖੁ ਪਾਵੈ ॥
हरि के नाम बिना दुखु पावै ॥
Har ke nām binā ḏukẖ pāvai.
Without the Name of the Lord, you shall only find pain.

ਭਗਤਿ ਬਿਨਾ ਸਹਸਾ ਨਹ ਚੂਕੈ ਗੁਰੁ ਇਹੁ ਭੇਦੁ ਬਤਾਵੈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
भगति बिना सहसा नह चूकै गुरु इहु भेदु बतावै ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Bẖagaṯ binā sahsā nah cẖūkai gur ih bẖeḏ baṯāvai. ||1|| rahā▫o.
Without devotional worship, doubt is not dispelled; the Guru has revealed this secret. ||1||Pause||

ਕਹਾ ਭਇਓ ਤੀਰਥ ਬ੍ਰਤ ਕੀਏ ਰਾਮ ਸਰਨਿ ਨਹੀ ਆਵੈ ॥
कहा भइओ तीरथ ब्रत कीए राम सरनि नही आवै ॥
Kahā bẖa▫i▫o ṯirath baraṯ kī▫e rām saran nahī āvai.
Of what use are sacred shrines of pilgrimage, if one does not enter the Sanctuary of the Lord?

ਜੋਗ ਜਗ ਨਿਹਫਲ ਤਿਹ ਮਾਨਉ ਜੋ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਜਸੁ ਬਿਸਰਾਵੈ ॥੧॥
जोग जग निहफल तिह मानउ जो प्रभ जसु बिसरावै ॥१॥
Jog jag nihfal ṯih mān▫o jo parabẖ jas bisrāvai. ||1||
Know that Yoga and sacrificial feasts are fruitless, if one forgets the Praises of God. ||1||

ਮਾਨ ਮੋਹ ਦੋਨੋ ਕਉ ਪਰਹਰਿ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਕੇ ਗੁਨ ਗਾਵੈ ॥
मान मोह दोनो कउ परहरि गोबिंद के गुन गावै ॥
Mān moh ḏono ka▫o parhar gobinḏ ke gun gāvai.
One who lays aside both pride and attachment, sings the Glorious Praises of the Lord of the Universe.

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਇਹ ਬਿਧਿ ਕੋ ਪ੍ਰਾਨੀ ਜੀਵਨ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਕਹਾਵੈ ॥੨॥੨॥
कहु नानक इह बिधि को प्रानी जीवन मुकति कहावै ॥२॥२॥
Kaho Nānak ih biḏẖ ko parānī jīvan mukaṯ kahāvai. ||2||2||
Says Nanak, the mortal who does this is said to be 'jivan mukta' - liberated while yet alive. ||2||2||

Ismaila,
It is worth noting that Yoga isn't just a physical exercise i.e. hatha yoga, but it is a way to God. So there are many way to God, each way is a Yoga for example the other Yogas include: Bhakti Yoga, Karma Yoga, Raja Yoga etc.

So there is Yoga in Sikhism, but Sikhism is not limited to a specific Yoga. It set itself aside in this approach.

GURSIKH

chardi kla
Sikhi is a Yoga , as Onkaara ,Od , Seyorni already stated for Sikhi Yoga simply means Union , its not confined to different Yogic postures ,Yogic actions ,

Guru Nanak States very clearly

ਸੂਹੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੧ ਘਰੁ ੭
Soohee, First Mehl, Seventh House:

ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥
One Universal Creator . By The Grace Of The True Guru:

ਜੋਗੁ ਨ ਖਿੰਥਾ ਜੋਗੁ ਨ ਡੰਡੈ ਜੋਗੁ ਨ ਭਸਮ ਚੜਾਈਐ ॥
Yoga is not the patched coat, Yoga is not the walking stick. Yoga is not smearing the body with ashes.

ਜੋਗੁ ਨ ਮੁੰਦੀ ਮੂੰਡਿ ਮੁਡਾਇਐ ਜੋਗੁ ਨ ਸਿੰਙੀ ਵਾਈਐ ॥
Yoga is not the ear-rings, and not the shaven head. Yoga is not the blowing of the horn.

ਅੰਜਨ ਮਾਹਿ ਨਿਰੰਜਨਿ ਰਹੀਐ ਜੋਗ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਇਵ ਪਾਈਐ ॥੧॥
Remaining unblemished in the midst of the filth of the world - this is the way to attain Yoga. ||1||

ਗਲੀ ਜੋਗੁ ਨ ਹੋਈ ॥
By mere words, Yoga is not attained.

ਏਕ ਦ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਕਰਿ ਸਮਸਰਿ ਜਾਣੈ ਜੋਗੀ ਕਹੀਐ ਸੋਈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
One who looks upon all with a single eye, and knows them to be one and the same - he alone is known as a Yogi. ||1||Pause||

ਜੋਗੁ ਨ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਮੜੀ ਮਸਾਣੀ ਜੋਗੁ ਨ ਤਾੜੀ ਲਾਈਐ ॥
Yoga is not wandering to the tombs of the dead; Yoga is not sitting in trances.

ਜੋਗੁ ਨ ਦੇਸਿ ਦਿਸੰਤਰਿ ਭਵਿਐ ਜੋਗੁ ਨ ਤੀਰਥਿ ਨਾਈਐ ॥
Yoga is not wandering through foreign lands; Yoga is not bathing at sacred shrines of pilgrimage.

ਅੰਜਨ ਮਾਹਿ ਨਿਰੰਜਨਿ ਰਹੀਐ ਜੋਗ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਇਵ ਪਾਈਐ ॥੨॥
Remaining unblemished in the midst of the filth of the world - this is the way to attain Yoga. ||2||

ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਭੇਟੈ ਤਾ ਸਹਸਾ ਤੂਟੈ ਧਾਵਤੁ ਵਰਜਿ ਰਹਾਈਐ ॥
Meeting with the True Guru, doubt is dispelled, and the wandering mind is restrained.

ਨਿਝਰੁ ਝਰੈ ਸਹਜ ਧੁਨਿ ਲਾਗੈ ਘਰ ਹੀ ਪਰਚਾ ਪਾਈਐ ॥
Nectar rains down, celestial music resounds, and deep within, wisdom is obtained.

ਅੰਜਨ ਮਾਹਿ ਨਿਰੰਜਨਿ ਰਹੀਐ ਜੋਗ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਇਵ ਪਾਈਐ ॥੩॥
Remaining unblemished in the midst of the filth of the world - this is the way to attain Yoga. ||3||

ਨਾਨਕ ਜੀਵਤਿਆ ਮਰਿ ਰਹੀਐ ਐਸਾ ਜੋਗੁ ਕਮਾਈਐ ॥
O Nanak, remain dead while yet alive - practice such a Yoga.

ਵਾਜੇ ਬਾਝਹੁ ਸਿੰਙੀ ਵਾਜੈ ਤਉ ਨਿਰਭਉ ਪਦੁ ਪਾਈਐ ॥
When the horn is blown without being blown, then you shall attain the state of fearless dignity.

ਅੰਜਨ ਮਾਹਿ ਨਿਰੰਜਨਿ ਰਹੀਐ ਜੋਗ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਤਉ ਪਾਈਐ ॥੪॥੧॥੮॥
Remaining unblemished in the midst of the filth of the world - this is the way to attain Yoga. ||4||1||8||

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
well he does have a large following in the Wet with lots of White people converting when they come into contact with his Kundalini yoga - no sure how the rest of the Sikh world view these gora sikhs ?
Seems like a lot of Sikhi like him, even who those who are not of the 3HO. Some treat him with a bit of wariness because of the whole Kundalini thing and its non-Sikh origins. Although I think it's a bit of a mistake to conflate 3HO = gora, since there are non-gora 3HO Sikhs. :)

[youtube]dgozNFYFuk4[/youtube]

He's one of my favourite Western Sikhs; wish I could meet the guy sometime. Have a friend who met him. :)

Last edited: