• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sikh community slams Amazon’s highly offensive products

Shad

Veteran Member
‘Members of the Sikh community in the US have slammed Amazon for selling "disrespectful" products, including toilet seats and bath mats, that feature one of their holiest sites and other iconography.’

Sikh community slams Amazon's 'highly offensive' products

I think this is a case of the company using pictures they liked for the product without bothering to find out what is being depicted. Outrage activism making a mountain out of a mole hill, nothing more.

Jumi

Yep, they were probably completely ignorant about what it was and just took it off of some google search. It's garbage, but ignorance tends to cause problems...

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
... why would you even make toilets with pictures on them? I mean... seriously?

Also not seeing why it's an issue, though, unless one is really stingy about use of iconography. It's not as if someone made a dart board and put a picture of their sacred site behind a bullseye.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This just means that Sikhs have fully joined our society.
Here's another popular bathroom item.....
s-l1000.jpg

Sanzbir

Looks like the company that sells this sells all sorts of landscapes/building images on toilet seats. Check it out here: https://www.amazon.com/aolankaili/b...485011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=aolankaili

Now while I can see why people would be upset by this and want the product removed, I think it is wrong to label the product "anti-Sikh" as some of the people complaining have done. This company puts any and every random image on toilet seats, I'd wager they don't even know the building is Sikh. Even if they do know, given that they seem to put every image they can get the rights too on toilet seats, this obviously isn't a targeted slight at the Sikh community.

Also targeting Amazon rather than targeting Aolankaili (the company who makes these) is just dumb.

I don't see how forcing Amazon employees to go through Sikh awareness training (as one person demanded) would stop other companies like Aolankaili from putting Sikh buildings (and every other building for that matter) on toilet seats for sale. Heck, even if you gave such training to Aolankaili, I'm not sure you'd prevent them from accidentally including Sikh buildings on their toilet seats.

What would you even be able to do, force every company that manufactures toilet seats to take an extensive course on religious architecture so they can identify at a glance buildings that might be offensive to depict on a toilet seat??

The best course of action would be to talk to Aolankaili, not necessarily Amazon, and explain the misstep and ask them to pull the product.

Last edited:

Sanzbir

It begs the question of who made them. Amazon just sells them.

Aolankaili is the seller.

They seem to sell any-and-every-random-image on toilet seats and throw blankets as a business model. Also, as every single product image of theirs has the image of the product photoshopped onto the same image of a toilet seat, I'd wager that they print to order.

In other words, it's very possible that the product in question was never made, if no one ever bought it (and many of their listed products have no sales, though I can't find the product in question to see if it ever got a sale, it may have been removed by Amazon or Aolankaili by now). It might just be an image they had the rights to photoshopped onto their product template and put on the marketplace in hope that someone finds one of their images appealing.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Looks like the company that sells this sells all sorts of landscapes/building images on toilet seats. Check it out here: https://www.amazon.com/aolankaili/b...485011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=aolankaili

Now while I can see why people would be upset by this and want the product removed, I think it is wrong to label the product "anti-Sikh" as some of the people complaining have done. This company puts any and every random image on toilet seats, I'd wager they don't even know the building is Sikh. Even if they do know, given that they seem to put every image they can get the rights too on toilet seats, this obviously isn't a targeted slight at the Sikh community.

Also targeting Amazon rather than targeting Aolankaili (the company who makes these) is just dumb.

I doubt how forcing Amazon employees to go through Sikh awareness training (as one person demanded) would stop other companies like Aolankaili from putting Sikh buildings (and every other building for that matter) on toilet seats for sale. Heck, even if you gave such training to Aolankaili, I'm not sure you'd prevent them from accidentally including Sikh buildings on their toilet seats.

What would you even be able to do, force every company that manufactures toilet seats to take an extensive course on religious architecture so they can identify at a glance buildings that might be offensive to depict on a toilet seat??

The best course of action would be to talk to Aolankaili, not necessarily Amazon, and explain the misstep and ask them to pull the product.
I understand their strategy. Complain about Aolankaili and the most that will happen is a "Meh". Call Amazon racist and there will be headlines.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I think this is a case of the company using pictures they liked for the product without bothering to find out what is being depicted. Outrage activism making a mountain out of a mole hill, nothing more.
Yep, they were probably completely ignorant about what it was and just took it off of some google search. It's garbage, but ignorance tends to cause problems...
IMHO, it is more than that, it is uncivilized behavior to mock what the other people rever. Someone who did not like the Sikh beards.
Jesus toilet: http://www.pottymouthtours.com/wp-c...hroom-Decor-Toilet-Seat-Art-Jesus-Collage.jpg
We don't do that in India, and we have strict laws to stop such kind of thing.

Last edited:

GoodbyeDave

IMHO, it is more than that, it is uncivilized behavior to mock what the other people revere.
How can using a picture of a temple be mocking it?
We don't do that in India, and we have strict laws to stop such kind of thing.
That's called bigotry in England. It's a pity you don't have equally strict laws to prevent discrimination against Dalits or violence against women.

Shad

Veteran Member

Sanzbir

IMHO, it is more than that, it is uncivilized behavior to mock what the other people rever.

How do you account for the fact that the company who makes these also puts any other image they can get the rights too on toilet seats??

https://www.amazon.com/aolankaili/b...485011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=aolankaili

What's more likely, a concerted effort to mock Sikhs as well as the zodiac, New York, and puppies (all of which are sold as toilet seats by Aolankaili), or a company that has a machine that can print stickers shaped like toilet seats and has a large library of images they have the rights too trying to make as much money as possible by offering every image they own in toilet seat form??

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
That's called bigotry in England. It's a pity you don't have equally strict laws to prevent discrimination against Dalits or violence against women.
You are not aware of them. We do have excellent laws. What we do not have is the machinery to implement them. But we are moving in right direction. It takes time with 1300 million people.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
You are asserting intent without evidence.
India can do India. Amazon isn't based in India ergo your laws mean nothing.
It happens that way in many cases.
In India, even Amazon will have to follow Indian laws.
There are things that are universally true, if people were more sensitive to the feeling of others, Charles Hebdo would not have occurred.
How do you account for the fact that the company who makes these also puts any other image they can get the rights too on toilet seats??
They are welcome to do so, but should refrain from religious, racial, ethnic subjects. Of course, I think in the Indian way. Other countries will decide what is good or bad in their own way.

Last edited:

Shad

Veteran Member
In India, even Amazon will have to follow Indian laws.

OP is about the US. Ergo India can do India.

There are things that are universally true, if people were more sensitive to the feeling of others, Charles Hebdo would not have occurred.

Yes lets be more sensitive lest rabid fanatics kill people over a cartoon.... Nope. Far better to find out who is the fanatic and get rid of them for the safety of society.