• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Signs from God

Dingbat

How does one tell if a sign is from God and not just random happenstance? I ask because on three separate occasions I have prayed and asked for guidance from the Lord and each time something happened that indicated the same thing I was asking about. While I feel inner peace with the idea this was from God my mind still is somewhat troubled that I might be making the wrong decision on mere coincidence but they were rather out of the blue or solicited happenings.

So how does one divine if signs are from God or not? Sorry for the vagueness but I don't want to color responses from different people by providing too much detail. I guess the TL;DR edition is prayed three separate times about the same thing, had three different occurrences that seemed to give the same answer. So am I crazy and reading too much into it or is it God giving an answer?:thud:

punkdbass

I will be what I will be
Good question. I cant remember where I read this but:

When trying to determine if an event is a revelation from God... "Any event that brings about more unity and love is a revelation from God."

So assuming God exists, then if an event in your life brings about more unity and love, God with connected to that event. Even if you try to reason that the event was entirely your doing, if the event was truly a positive experience.. then wouldnt it make sense that God would have been present and flowing through that moment?

Last edited:

Dingbat

Good question. I cant remember where I read this but:

When trying to determine if an event is a revelation from God... "Any event that brings about more unity and love is a revelation from God."

So assuming God exists, then if an event in your life brings about more unity and love, God with connected to that event. Even if you try to reason that the event was entirely your doing, if the event was truly a positive experience.. then wouldnt it make sense that God would have been present and flowing through that moment?

That makes an excellent point and I thank you. It was definitely a unifying experience but I seem to be looking for every opportunity to deny the experience or rationalize it away. I am just not sure why part of me is not very excited about the direction I am looking at. I think the biggest thing is I don't want to annoy God by constantly asking for clarification because then it just seems I don't want his answer I want an answer that I like.

Harmonious

How does one tell if a sign is from God and not just random happenstance? I ask because on three separate occasions I have prayed and asked for guidance from the Lord and each time something happened that indicated the same thing I was asking about. While I feel inner peace with the idea this was from God my mind still is somewhat troubled that I might be making the wrong decision on mere coincidence but they were rather out of the blue or solicited happenings.

So how does one divine if signs are from God or not? Sorry for the vagueness but I don't want to color responses from different people by providing too much detail. I guess the TL;DR edition is prayed three separate times about the same thing, had three different occurrences that seemed to give the same answer. So am I crazy and reading too much into it or is it God giving an answer?:thud:

I would say that the answer is: User Mileage May Vary.

I know that I've asked God questions about whether or not a decision I made was correct, and then the Rabbi gave a sermon on that very thing. Or, I've tried to contact someone to tell them something, and after having a good deal of trouble trying to connect to that person, I found out I was wrong and was thankful that I didn't get to say what I intended.

Are these coincidences or divine intervention? I suppose an argument could be made, either way. But you know... The warm feeling that bubbled up inside that filled me with happiness and the feeling of being hugged (even though no person was there) makes me lean to the idea of Divine Intervention.

The problem with making a clear-cut explanation is that the situation was subjective. When the situations I've explained happened, they were small matters, but they were big matters to me.

As for an answer to your question: I would say that God did give you guidance.

I could be wrong, but then again, your relationship with God is between you and God. Only YOU know what feels like God is responding to you in a meaningful fashion. And it can't be compared to what anyone else feels, because everyone else's relationship will be different.

Last edited: