• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Significance of the right!

Walkntune

In the scriptures it is always the right side that has significance.It was the right hand that fathers used to bless their children.Right signifies power and strength as Jesus sits on the right hand of the father. The net was cast on the right side of the boat for the miracle of fish.
Its interesting to me how the left side of the brain is where we are more analytical and scientific and the right side is where we are emotional and spiritual and think with the heart.
Recognizing the significance between right and left brain thinking over two thousand years ago is pretty amazing in itself and actually way further back then that.You might try and say coincidence but it is always consistant through the whole Bible.
On a side note with my own hypothesis(for all the skeptics) I have pondered on the idea of how the right brain controls the left side of the body and why the heart lies slightly on the left side of the body instead of the exact center.Just food for thought!
Any scifi's want to take a gander as I sit back and watch you slander!:)

Photonic

Ad astra!
In the scriptures it is always the right side that has significance.It was the right hand that fathers used to bless their children.Right signifies power and strength as Jesus sits on the right hand of the father. The net was cast on the right side of the boat for the miracle of fish.
Its interesting to me how the left side of the brain is where we are more analytical and scientific and the right side is where we are emotional and spiritual and think with the heart.
Recognizing the significance between right and left brain thinking over two thousand years ago is pretty amazing in itself and actually way further back then that.You might try and say coincidence but it is always consistant through the whole Bible.
On a side note with my own hypothesis(for all the skeptics) I have pondered on the idea of how the right brain controls the left side of the body and why the heart lies slightly on the left side of the body instead of the exact center.Just food for thought!
Any scifi's want to take a gander as I sit back and watch you slander!:)

Have fun with that strawman you're building.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
It's probably more simple:

Probably the majority of people throughout history have been right handed.

As such, they prefer using the weapon in their right hand, writing with their right hand, eating, and so on.

Since the right side is their 'stronger' side, the left side is not as strong. Thus, the right hand is for more important things, and the left is complementary and has less of an importance. When in a discussio about good and evil, I guess the right, as it is by far the most commonly used, represents the "good" side, and the left, thus the weaker, or evilly-inclined side, with language.

For language:

English "left" is from Old English "lyft" (weak), vs right meaning "correct, straight".

"Sinister" is from Latin sinister (also sinistra, sinistrum) meaning left, inappropriate, unlucky, whereas "dexter" means right, skillful and so on.

Additionally, I believe religious myths and beliefs can often reflect this feature. For example, Shaytan eating with their left hand as in Islamic claims [here, and here].

Of course, this is just my view. I could be way off. If I am, anything to help me learn more would be appreciated.

(Note: I'm a lefty.)

Walkntune

It's probably more simple:

Probably the majority of people throughout history have been right handed.

As such, they prefer using the weapon in their right hand, writing with their right hand, eating, and so on.

Since the right side is their 'stronger' side, the left side is not as strong. Thus, the right hand is for more important things, and the left is complementary and has less of an importance. When in a discussio about good and evil, I guess the right, as it is by far the most commonly used, represents the "good" side, and the left, thus the weaker, or evilly-inclined side, with language.

For language:

English "left" is from Old English "lyft" (weak), vs right meaning "correct, straight".

"Sinister" is from Latin sinister (also sinistra, sinistrum) meaning left, inappropriate, unlucky, whereas "dexter" means right, skillful and so on.

Additionally, I believe religious myths and beliefs can often reflect this feature. For example, Shaytan eating with their left hand as in Islamic claims [here, and here].

Of course, this is just my view. I could be way off. If I am, anything to help me learn more would be appreciated.

(Note: I'm a lefty.)
Sounds like a good logical posibility.There is still some instances where King Solomon speaks of reasoning witht the right instead of the left and the very fact of making a distinction of there being a separation between right and left brain thinking back then is worth pondering on.I will look for these references but i have seen them before.

Walkntune

You left out the fact that half your body doesn't work without either side.
Lets look at a scenario in the natural. We observe something we desire. The right brain says how can I be creative to bring this desire about.Left brain is skeptical and analizes and says I don't know if I do this this could happen or that may happen.The true you must make a choice between to two sides.Another good question who is this you that decides between the two sides?