• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Signature Dish

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
I now have a signature dish!

Now, let's imagine. I don't personally know any regular member of this forum, but let's just imagine I visit one of you and ask to eat your signature dish. What would your signature dish be?

A signature dish is something that you've made at least a few times and is one of your favorite meals. Ideally it shouldn't be something that is entirely pre-made. A signature dish wouldn't be a frozen pizza or TV dinner, although home made pizzas can be a signature dish.

Well, anyways, my signature dish now is grilled cheese and tomato soup. I take a can of tomato bisque and a can of water, stir and heat it, and at the same time make two butter-less grilled cheese sandwiches on my George Forman grill for three minutes, then after it cooks I take it, cut it up into small squares, put it in a bowl. Then I take the tomato soup and pour it over the grilled cheese. I stir the two together and soak the grilled cheese into the soup.

upload_2022-11-21_15-21-43.jpeg

I consider this my signature dish now. It's one of my favorite meals and takes less than ten minutes to make.

Now how about you, what is your signature dish? :)

JDMS

Academic Workhorse
My signature is definitely honey garlic salmon. It has honey, soy, vinegar, ginger, loads of garlic, sesame seeds, plus salt pepper, etc. Served over rice with all the sauce off the fish? Yum! :D

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

Now, let's imagine. I don't personally know any regular member of this forum, but let's just imagine I visit one of you and ask to eat your signature dish. What would your signature dish be?

A signature dish is something that you've made at least a few times and is one of your favorite meals. Ideally it shouldn't be something that is entirely pre-made. A signature dish wouldn't be a frozen pizza or TV dinner, although home made pizzas can be a signature dish.

Well, anyways, my signature dish now is grilled cheese and tomato soup. I take a can of tomato bisque and a can of water, stir and heat it, and at the same time make two butter-less grilled cheese sandwiches on my George Forman grill for three minutes, then after it cooks I take it, cut it up into small squares, put it in a bowl. Then I take the tomato soup and pour it over the grilled cheese. I stir the two together and soak the grilled cheese into the soup.

View attachment 68760

I consider this my signature dish now. It's one of my favorite meals and takes less than ten minutes to make.

That sounds delicious.

my favorite food is steak potatoes and a veggie as a side, but as that’s time consuming and steak is expensive, I generally just do eggs or ground beef if I’m not eating out. I want to try new things but I’m so lazy when it comes to cooking

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I'm told that i cook the best steak. So long as you like it rare.

Another is couscous with lightly roast slices of bell pepper and chicken (tofu for vegetarians) on top covered with a peanut butter sauce and wilted spinach.

Or a warm goats cheese and fig salad.

Thats 3 signature dishes, i like to cook so there are more.

Heyo

Veteran Member

View attachment 68760

On living history events I'm the one who makes pancakes; hearty pancakes with bacon and cheese. Best meal for the first day when people arrive at different times and eat at different times.

Otherwise it would be Thai curry with rice. It consists mostly of a variety of fruit and some vegetables. Additional fish or poultry are optional.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I push the button on the coffee maker in the morning, if I can find it through the fog of grog.

My curry 'go to' for Boss and guests is Basmati brown, eggplant hot curry, cauliflower white curry, pink dal dal, grated carrot salad, and cucumber raita.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Hmm, tricky.

The one I like best of all, for summer, is beef carpaccio, which I make according to the River Cafe recipe, charring a cylinder of beef fillet on the outside but still raw inside, then slicing and squeezing each slice out thin and lacy with the flat blade of a kitchen knife. These lacy slices are laid on a mixture of rocket and frisee, with some sliced tomatoes round the side, seasoned with salt and pepper, lemon juice squeezed over then plenty of virgin olive oil and finally flakes of parmesan. It goes remarkably well with red Bx. All you need with it is good bread.

Also for summer I have a ham and parsley terrine which looks great and is always appreciated. That's fun because it has to set in a mould overnight and there is the drama of turning it out in one piece. The problem is to slice it without it coming apart. I don't like to overdo the gelatine as that can give it a rubbery consistency, but if I don't use enough it can tend to disintegrate, especially in warm weather. The thing is to refrigerate it and cut before it warms up to room temperature. However it needs to warm up a bit before eating, to get the flavour.

But for winter, it's harder. I have a few candidates and one safe standby for entertaining but not sure what I'd consider a signature dish exactly. My personal favourite is probably the rabbit, mustard and tarragon stew I've mentioned before, but that can be a bit risky to try on guests, especially female ones.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Beetroot soup. I make it with beetroot soup stuff. It's ok. Oh and don't be alarmed: your pee will turn pink.
I used to love beetroot as a small child and my parents once called the doctor because of that effect.

Like a lot of these purple/red plant dyes it's an acid/base indicator. I always notice the juice turns bluish during washing the dish, due to the hard water in London.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Mine would be prime rib of beef roasted to at least pink,roast potatoes,parsnips,glacéd carrots,garden peas and steamed broccoli with homemade gravy although I’m getting good at Tom Yum gai or goareng,best soup ever.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I used to love beetroot as a small child and my parents once called the doctor because of that effect.

Like a lot of these purple/red plant dyes it's an acid/base indicator. I always notice the juice turns bluish during washing the dish, due to the hard water in London.
Ooh never noticed that and I live in a hard water area. Strange.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I have two, both created by me, that I absolutely love.

BEEF CHEEKS

Serves 6 (but better yet 5). Wonderfully unctuous and flavourful. Serve with mashed potatoes, root vegetables, or best of all, a nice root vegetable polenta.

3 Beef Cheeks
1 large carrot
2 onions
2 celery sticks
1 litre strong red wine (Cahors, or any big Malbec)
2 ounces of cognac
4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
6-7 pepper corns
Small handful of flat-leaf parsley
4 sprigs thyme
2 bay leaves
6 cloves garlic
2 cinnamon sticks
4 cloves
2 large strips of orange peel
2 tomatoes
Red wine vinegar, only if desired to taste

Put the beef cheeks into a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Peel carrot and onions, slice into rounds. Remove strings from the celery and slice it. Add the vegetables to the meat. Cover with red wine, cognac, 2 Tbsp of olive oil, peppercorns, parsley, thyme and bay leaves. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 24 hours.

Next day, preheat oven to 325ºF. Peel and crush garlic, remove the green shoot in the centre and slice them in quarters.

Drain the meat, reserving the marinade. Pat the meat dry with kitchen paper. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in your braising pot and sauté the meat all over on medium-high heat – to get a Maillard reaction and brown it.

Filter the marinade through a sieve, putting the solid ingredients into the pot, along with the tomatoes and garlic, simmering for just a few minutes.

Heat the marinade, and pour into the braising pot. Add cinnamon sticks, cloves and orange peel. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and cover. Pour ice water into the concave lid of your braising pot (if you have such a thing). Bake in 325 oven at least 4 hours, preferably 5!

When the meat is very tender, drain it and set aside. Degrease the cooking liquid and strain it, then pour back into the pot. Reduce it if it seems to thin. Return the meat to the pot, reheat for a few minutes and serve very hot.

If the cooking liquid does not seem strong enough to you to serve as gravy, you can add half a tablespoon of red wine vinegar. It really works.

Leftovers are great cold or re-heated with potato salad
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Port Carmalized Pears with Stilton Cream

Note, this recipe can be made ahead and placed in a single layer in a baking dish. Reheat them in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes, turning once.

1 oz. Crumbled Stilton cheese about 1/4 cup
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp whipping cream
4 ripe but firm pears (Bosc or Bartlett)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup tawny Port

With a fork, mash cheese with 2 tbsp whipping cream.

Beat remaining cream until soft peaks form. Fold into cheese mixture with a spatula. The cream should be stiff with pieces of Stilton visible. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.

Wash pears, but do not peel, then cut into 4 slices lengthwise. Melt butter in a large frying pan and cook pears, in two batches, over medium high heat until lightly browned on both sides. Remove pears when browned and keep warm.

Add sugar and Port to the pan. Stir to dissolve sugar and loosen brown bits. Bring to a boil. Remember that the Port may catch alight. Reduce to a thick caramel sauce.

Return pears to pan and coat with the caramel. Either serve immediately with Stilton cream, or set aside in a single layer in a baking dish. Reheat them in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes, turning once.

Last edited:

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

View attachment 68760

Easy microwave chili.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Haluski (cabbage and noodles). It's really popular in Pittsburgh, but when I moved away most people had never heard of it. Must be a regional dish?

Yerda

Veteran Member
I do a few veggie versions of things I liked a lot as a meat eater. I spent years getting a vegan spaghetti bolognese to a standard I was happy with.

Also make a good dal, a good chickpea curry and a really satisfying peanut based curry with cauliflower.

Lately I've taken to roasting veggies an awful lot. Roasted cauliflower rubbed in garlic butter and parley is my jam right now.