• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sick America

greatcalgarian

If American senator supposedly to protect children turned out to be a wolf in sheep's skin, what do you expect the President elected twice to spread democracy will do to this world?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/5400536.stm

It was only this July that the disgraced politician was pictured in the White House rose garden, shaking hands with President Bush at the signing of a bill protecting children from sexual predators.
_42156172_hastert_story_ap.jpg
Senior Republicans distanced themselves from Mr Foley

Mr Foley, 52, was co-chairman of the congressional caucus on missing and exploited children. Ironically, he could now face prosecution under a law that he helped to write as part of that committee. Across the country as a whole, local Republicans have been running a number of campaigns, accusing the Democrats of being out of step with "family values".

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Is this another one of those "Sick America" threads?

Why do you suppose that everytime something bad happens in America it means the whole society is sick?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
greatcalgarian said:
If American senator supposedly to protect children turned out to be a wolf in sheep's skin, what do you expect the President elected twice to spread democracy will do to this world?
That sentence speaks volumes about the intellectual bankruptcy of your pathetic mud-slinging.

greatcalgarian

Jay said:
That sentence speaks volumes about the intellectual bankruptcy of your pathetic mud-slinging.

Relax, my friend. You have repeated yourself many times. I think every one got your message, including this poor old monkey.:monkey:

greatcalgarian

Sunstone said:
Is this another one of those "Sick America" threads?

Why do you suppose that everytime something bad happens in America it means the whole society is sick?

Collective responsiblity. Isn't that how the democracy work? Majority elected the representative, and whatever the leaders do, those majority bear the responsibility?

Some one did pointed out to me before, Bush was not elected by the majority. However, that is still how the democracy process work. If the majority is not happy with the elected president, there is the impeachment process to remove Bush. Why was that not done? Simply put, it is not the majority that have a say in American. American so called 'democracy' lies in the few hands of the rich and neo con. Prove me wrong please?:D

Booko

Deviled Hen
greatcalgarian said:
Some one did pointed out to me before, Bush was not elected by the majority. However, that is still how the democracy process work. If the majority is not happy with the elected president, there is the impeachment process to remove Bush. Why was that not done? Simply put, it is not the majority that have a say in American. American so called 'democracy' lies in the few hands of the rich and neo con. Prove me wrong please?:D

In case you didn't notice, the majority of people didn't even vote. When you add those people to whomever voted for another candidate, it's pretty obvious that whoever is the current Prez does not really represent our society at large in the way you imagine.

greatcalgarian

Booko said:
In case you didn't notice, the majority of people didn't even vote. When you add those people to whomever voted for another candidate, it's pretty obvious that whoever is the current Prez does not really represent our society at large in the way you imagine.

If your argument is correct, then democracy is not working even in the most 'democratic' country in the world -- the US, right?

Booko

Deviled Hen
greatcalgarian said:
If your argument is correct, then democracy is not working even in the most 'democratic' country in the world -- the US, right?

Who said the US was the most democratic country in the world?

Other than you, just now, that is...

HopefulNikki

greatcalgarian said:
Our society isn't a strict democracy; it's a constitutional republic. As much as many of us regret the election of Pres. Bush, he was elected fair and square by the rules of our election process.

On the actual topic of the thread, I think it's a good thing that this guy has changed his ways and wants to change society for the better as well. Saying that this guy can't fight for harsher punishments for sexual predators is like saying that a former alcoholic cannot speak out in support of harsher DUI sentencing, is it not?

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
greatcalgarian said:
Collective responsiblity. Isn't that how the democracy work?...
:biglaugh: This statement demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of America's political system AND even less understanding of the concept of democracy.

Nikki hit the nail on the head. America is a constitutional republic NOT a democracy.:banghead3:

Collective responsibility???? I'm not sure where you came up with this, but it's ridiculous. Each individual is responsible for his own actions.

In Foley's case, ironically, he will probably be prosecuted under legislation he helped pass.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
greatcalgarian said:
Jay said:
greatcalgarian said:
Relax, my friend. You have repeated yourself many times. I think every one got your message, ...
My hope is that "every one got your message" and the pathetic and irresponsible 'reasoning' that it so clearly demonstrates.

Yerda

Veteran Member
greatcalgarian said:
What do you suppose is the link?

greatcalgarian

CaptainXeroid said:
:biglaugh: This statement demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of America's political system AND even less understanding of the concept of democracy.

Nikki hit the nail on the head. America is a constitutional republic NOT a democracy.:banghead3:

Collective responsibility???? I'm not sure where you came up with this, but it's ridiculous. Each individual is responsible for his own actions.

In Foley's case, ironically, he will probably be prosecuted under legislation he helped pass.

If America is NOT a democracy, why is she wanting to export that (i.e. democracy) and impose it onto the Middle East Countries? :confused:

greatcalgarian

Jay said:
My hope is that "every one got your message" and the pathetic and irresponsible 'reasoning' that it so clearly demonstrates.

You are insulting the intelligence of RF members, by having to point out the pathetic and irresponsible 'reasoning', as if only you spotted it, and others need you to teach them.:p

greatcalgarian

Jaiket said:
What do you suppose is the link?

I do not know. I am hoping some one will tell me, whether there is a link or not. Obviously you missed out Jay posting. My OP is pathetic etc etc.:D

shema

overall I would not live anywhere else. but the government has its flaws just like any other society.

HopefulNikki

greatcalgarian said:
If America is NOT a democracy, why is she wanting to export that (i.e. democracy) and impose it onto the Middle East Countries? :confused:
As far as I know, we're establishing constitutional republics, not strict democracies. The term "democracy" gets thrown around a lot because, in a consitutional republic, elements of democracy still exist and thrive...the basic principle behind democracy (i.e., that the people are sovereign) still exists in its alternate form of a constitutional republic. That's how I understand it at least; hopefully that made sense.

greatcalgarian

shema said:
overall I would not live anywhere else. but the government has its flaws just like any other society.

You believe US is the best country among all other in this world to live in, to raise your kids etc? What is the good part of US that attacts you to stay where you are? Just like to know what is so good in America.

greatcalgarian

HopefulNikki said:
As far as I know, we're establishing constitutional republics, not strict democracies. The term "democracy" gets thrown around a lot because, in a consitutional republic, elements of democracy still exist and thrive...the basic principle behind democracy (i.e., that the people are sovereign) still exists in its alternate form of a constitutional republic. That's how I understand it at least; hopefully that made sense.

So contitutional republics is an evolved form of democracy? Is the British parliamentary system true democracy? Can you tell me which country in this world practive true democracy? I am always on the impression reading the MSM that US is the champion and defender of democracy, so she must be practicing 100% democracy. If not, how could she justified in calling other countries non-democractic, dictatorial etc?