• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shubha Labh

Shantanu

I was always fascinated by sights in shops and vehicles in India with the words 'Shubha Labh' or 'Auspicious Profit' to use an English translation.

Perhaps it is related to Lakshmi worship as the goddess of wealth, I do not know.

What occurs to me as an Existentialist is that these words have great significance in Hindu religious thoughts. It is not just the issue of monetary wealth but also profits or gains from any actions that one undertakes. This is being celebrated by the sentiments 'Shubha Labh'.

Of course in this sampradaya of Existentialism (if that exists officially I do not know) the philosophy would run counter to the teachings of Bhagavad Gita that says that one must always do one's duties and never look to the fruits of the actions.

So I do not know whether an existentialist who wishes to see 'Shubha Labh' in all the actions that he or she undertakes will receive official acknowledgment from the religious Mahamandaleshwars of India.

Last edited:

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
I see where you are arriving at, Shantanu.

Interesting that you mention how existentialism differs from mainstream Hindu thought, which is basically insisting on Karma Yoga.

To further the notion, let me offer you the perspective that one is prohibited from doing 'shubh' (auspicious deeds) to others, for fear of boosting the ego with pride over one's own goodness.

Shantanu

I see where you are arriving at, Shantanu.

Interesting that you mention how existentialism differs from mainstream Hindu thought, which is basically insisting on Karma Yoga.

To further the notion, let me offer you the perspective that one is prohibited from doing 'shubh' (auspicious deeds) to others, for fear of boosting the ego with pride over one's own goodness.
Karma yoga needs to be directed to attain prosperous ends for oneself, in ways that satisfies the body and atman together. Then only is it shubha labh. It is not just material gains that is important, one needs to head towards peace of mind, which is different from ego. Ego is bad as it means one is superior to God. That is shown in my profile photo: I am only a mouse offering coconut to satyanarayan to provide me with truth that saves and gives me all that I need to survive in this world with my head held high. That is dignity, not ego or pride, for ego and pride leads to falls, but when one is genuinely seeking truth and justice for oneself amid the stiffest opposition one is guided by God through one's thoughts and other means to progress steadily and attain the right karma that is shubha. This is dharmayudha: engaging in righteous acts that protects. Recall: Jata dharma, tata jaya. Where there is dharma there is victory as the motto of the Supreme Court of India. It is very meaningful to me.