• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shrovetide

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Today is Septuagesima the first Sunday of Shrovetide which is the traditional season of pre-Lenten preparation. Next Sunday is Sexagesima followed by Quinquagesima which marks the last Sunday before Ash Wednesday and the start of Lent proper.

For Roman Catholics, Shrovetide (Septuagesima, Sexagesima and Quinquagesima) was abolished (because reasons...) with the implementation of the new calendar but for those of us who attend either the Extraordinary Form or the Personal Ordinariate Shrovetide remains still very much a thing. As I'm sure it is for Anglo-Catholics and other high church Protestants.

In any case, I like the idea of a pre-Lenten season as it gives me three weeks to reflect on my intentions for Lent. I haven't been particularly observant these past few years so I intend to make an extra effort this year and as such I'll be using this pre-Lenten season to ease myself into a penitential mood proper to Lent.

I wish you all a productive preparation for Lent (even if it's not on your calendar) and remember to enjoy some pancakes on Shrove Tuesday.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Today is Septuagesima the first Sunday of Shrovetide which is the traditional season of pre-Lenten preparation. Next Sunday is Sexagesima followed by Quinquagesima which marks the last Sunday before Ash Wednesday and the start of Lent proper.

For Roman Catholics, Shrovetide (Septuagesima, Sexagesima and Quinquagesima) was abolished (because reasons...) with the implementation of the new calendar but for those of us who attend either the Extraordinary Form or the Personal Ordinariate Shrovetide remains still very much a thing. As I'm sure it is for Anglo-Catholics and other high church Protestants.

In any case, I like the idea of a pre-Lenten season as it gives me three weeks to reflect on my intentions for Lent. I haven't been particularly observant these past few years so I intend to make an extra effort this year and as such I'll be using this pre-Lenten season to ease myself into a penitential mood proper to Lent.

I wish you all a productive preparation for Lent (even if it's not on your calendar) and remember to enjoy some pancakes on Shrove Tuesday.
What? Already? Blimey! I had not realised how early Easter is this year.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I thought the same thing not that long ago. I'm still not over the fact that we're already in February.
True enough. Only one more month of winter left - and already the daffs are pushing up and the first green shoots are visible on my white hydrangea.