• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shroud of Turin does not depict Jesus?

Teritos

I think I can clearly prove that the Shroud of Turin does not depict Jesus. The Bible says in Isaiah 52 and 53 that Jesus was tortured so hard that he no longer looked like a human being. The Bible even goes so far as to say that no human being has ever been so disfigured. He was so disfigured that people could not even look at him. The Romans used a whip with small pointed bones attached to the ends that pulled out his skin. Jesus said in the OT that he sees his bones because he lost a lot of flesh during the torture and he said that they pulled out his beard. He was completely disfigured. So the man on the Shroud of Turin cannot be Jesus because he looks quite like a human being, he is not disfigured.

Jesus looked at least like this,
3f88c2157a555278ad42bec6825feab5.jpg

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
There is no evidence to support the claim (quite the opposite) and, IMHO, Isaiah has nothing to do with this.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The shroud is a 2d image as in an early attempt at photography, not a 3d image as would occur if the cloth was draped over a body.

I can provide examples of 2D vs 3D imager if needed.

That's just my bit on showing the shroud could not actually be a shroud

Teritos

The shroud is a 2d image as in an early attempt at photography, not a 3d image as would occur if the cloth was draped over a body.

I can provide examples of 2D vs 3D imager if needed.

That's just my bit on showing the shroud could not actually be a shroud
So the pictures of the shroud are fake? Or what are you trying to say?

ChristineM

Premium Member

I am saying it is most likely an early (late 1200s, early 1300s) attempt at photography.

If it were a shroud covering a body this is easy to simulate. Take a cloth and marker pen, lie down. Drape the cloth over your face then mark the cloth where the prominent features of your face are. The nose line, edges of eyes and mouth, cheek bones, ears etc. Then take a look.

You end up with something scaled like this

Calibration-process-for-a-3D-face-model-Defining-a-virtual-view-point-and-a-virtual_Q640.jpg

Teritos

I am saying it is most likely an early (late 1200s, early 1300s) attempt at photography.

If it were a shroud covering a body this is easy to simulate. Take a cloth and marker pen, lie down. Drape the cloth over your face then mark the cloth where the prominent features of your face are. The nose line, edges of eyes and mouth, cheek bones, ears etc. Then take a look.
Show me sources, related to the shroud which speak about this topic.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It was shown to be a fake in 1988:

Shroud of Turin - Wikipedia

In 1988, radiocarbon dating established that the shroud was from the Middle Ages, between the years 1260 and 1390.[4] All hypotheses put forward to challenge the radiocarbon dating have been scientifically refuted,[5] including the medieval repair hypothesis,[6][7][8] the bio-contamination hypothesis[9] and the carbon monoxide hypothesis.[10]

ChristineM

Premium Member
Show me sources, related to the shroud which speak about this topic.

I showed an image and described how to map a face as a 3D image

There is much on google describing image manipulation and special machinery to force the image into a 3d repression. They all fail topographical analysis.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I think I can clearly prove that the Shroud of Turin does not depict Jesus. The Bible says in Isaiah 52 and 53 that Jesus was tortured so hard that he no longer looked like a human being. The Bible even goes so far as to say that no human being has ever been so disfigured. He was so disfigured that people could not even look at him. The Romans used a whip with small pointed bones attached to the ends that pulled out his skin. Jesus said in the OT that he sees his bones because he lost a lot of flesh during the torture and he said that they pulled out his beard. He was completely disfigured. So the man on the Shroud of Turin cannot be Jesus because he looks quite like a human being, he is not disfigured.
First you'd have to prove that Isaiah is speaking about Jesus. I suspect that would be a difficult task for a number of reasons, one being that the name Jesus isn't ever mentioned in Isaiah, and another being that that would be ignoring the entire context of Isaiah. The other problem I see with this interpretation is that it flies in face of Mark 16:1 which says:

" When the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices so that they might go to anoint Jesus’ body."
Spices were put on pre-buried bodies to cancel out the smell of the rotting corpse. Doing it to an already buried body, three days after the burial, was redundant. More so if Jesus's body had been so terribly disfigured from injuries: it's likely that it would have needed an enormous amount of spices to counter the smell. Remembering to do it three days after burial was pointless. It's also disrespectful to the dead body to manhandle it post-burial, and let's not forget that these women were still Jewish, following Jewish burial customs.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Only a relatively small minority did.
What do you consider "a relatively small minority," what is the evidence of such a minority, and what would it signify? After all, the bell curve is ubiquitous, and one could probably find a "relatively small minority" supporting any number of fringe movements.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
What do you consider "a relatively small minority," what is the evidence of such a minority, and what would it signify? After all, the bell curve is ubiquitous, and one could probably find a "relatively small minority" supporting any number of fringe movements.
Are you sure you read my post #12 correctly?