• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shrine Dedication

☆Dreamwind☆

If im trying to make a shrine for a greek god/godess how to I asser which shrine is for which god?
If you have limited space, and different things such as pictures, statues, or natural objects sacred to different deities, rotate the displays as needed, and let them know this is their shrine too.

Last edited:

Tamino

If im trying to make a shrine for a greek god/godess how to I asser which shrine is for which god?
Are you familiar with the YouTube channel of Aliakai? You can find excellent and detailed information there.

Bear Wild

When I made a shrine for Freya I found a statue of her and placed things around it that had meaning about her to me. There were feathers, amber, a small cat statue and other things that reminded me of Freya. I even included daisies when they were blooming. I would occasionally often leave a small amount of honey or mead in a container.

I would find out which god or goddess you want to connect with, learn about them and feel their presence with you. The rest will come as you feel it strengthens the connection.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW

You don't need to create a shrine for every deity you honor. Traditionally, a home would have an altar at which most devotions were conducted, regardless of deity. In addition to the altar were shrines to household spirits that were separated by location, i.e. one belonged by the home entrance, another belonged in the pantry.

But modern homes and life styles are different to ancient times so you adjust to your living situation. Not everyone can keep an altar up 24/7 and instead set one up when they're making offerings, or opt to make offerings outside (e.g. their backyard).

Shrines are smaller than altars and can be set up on a bookshelf, wall shelf, mantel, side table etc. Generally, shrines are not shared unless it's by associated gods (e.g., Zeus & Hera, Demeter & Persephone). Also, traditionally there are slight ritual & offering distinctions between the types of deities, ouranic (sky) vs. chthonic (underworld). They're honored at different altars/shrines in a different manner.

Tamino

In terms of purpose, I always believed shrines and altars were interchangeable.
In Hellenism, I believe that there's a difference. Shrine is where you keep images of the deities, altar is where you make offerings, if I understood correctly.
Same in Kemetism... The shrine or naos contains the statues, the offering table is where you present offerings.
However, a lot of modern practitioners combine it in one place, because they have limited space available, I think.

☆Dreamwind☆

In Hellenism, I believe that there's a difference. Shrine is where you keep images of the deities, altar is where you make offerings, if I understood correctly.
Same in Kemetism... The shrine or naos contains the statues, the offering table is where you present offerings.
However, a lot of modern practitioners combine it in one place, because they have limited space available, I think.
All excellent points