• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

shouldn't the "star of david" be the "star of G-d?

t3gah

Is it just me or doesn't the whole premise behind using the "star of david" (king David) denote that you believe in G-d in fact show that you aren't because it's David's star and not G-d's?

I heard somewhere that this "Star of David" is used because it was the pattern on the shield David used against Goliath. Is that true?

Shouldn't the symbol of the faith be a "burning bush" like Moshe saw? Or maybe a representation of the parting of the Red Sea?:sarcastic

Master Vigil

I believe the 6 point star represents gods power and divine rule over the 6 directions of the universe. North, east, south, west, up and down. I think the part about Davids shield is a farely new idea.

Runt

In religion class my teacher explained that the Star of David first came into use in the 6th century BCE in Jewish Kabbalistic magick. He did not say what exactly it was supposed to represent in ceremonial magick. How it came to be known as the Star of David is uncertain... although it is often associated with the Seal of Solomon (used to control spirits) and the shield of David, there is no evidence that it actually appeared on either or those things. Attempts have been made in the past to trace it back to David, but none have been successful.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
the "Magen David", is one of the symbols that eventually emerged as a symbol to represent Judaism. There are others such as the candelabrah (menorah) and the lesser known Star of Solomon, which is 5 pointed star. It really holds no significance and only became a major symbol during the middle ages when it was used as an identifier in Europe. Papal sanctions in the 9th and 10th century instituted that, in some place, jews where a yellow 6 pointed star to identify themselves as being Jews (yeah and you thought the Nazis were being original!) If there was an official symbol can be dated the earliest though it would be the menorah, in fact my shul has a big one on the front of it's building:jiggy:

t3gah

jewscout said:
"Magen David"
I originally heard the story of the origin of the Star of David from my friend. She converted over to Judaism from being a Baptist. She didn't tell me where she heard or read it but I found this website that has the same story
(http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Judaism/star.html). The source for their article is (http://www.jewfaq.org/signs.htm#MagenDavid).

I also have a book by the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society, "Mankinds Search for God" and in it, the book states that the Star of David is actually an old Babylonian symbol. Which is what prompted me to post this thread. It's all so confusing... so ? :sarcastic