• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should You Feel Embarrassed for Fulfilling Biblical Prophecy?

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
In today's world, full of skeptics, especially the religious ones....

If you even admit fulfilling Biblical prophecy, most people's inclination is to ridicule you, and belittle you as another fraud, before ever assessing the info.

So fair enough in the grand scheme of things, if a person really did fulfill prophecy, they'd know from God it is real....

Yet should they feel embarrassed, and refrain from telling religious people, or do the complete opposite, and boldly state the reasons they've been sent? :innocent:

MARCELLO

Transitioning from male to female
Saint Google is better than bible,I admit that. Love of God cannot (and should not ) be limited with ancient texts.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
Nobody believes in this stuff anymore. Nobody. If you walked into church and said 'God has given me a prophecy that he will return in one year's time,' they'll just sort of put on their best middle-class smile and nod at you before heading toward the bar area.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
Nobody believes in this stuff anymore. Nobody. If you walked into church and said 'God has given me a prophecy that he will return in one year's time,' they'll just sort of put on their best middle-class smile and nod at you before heading toward the bar area.

If you have the charisma, there will always still be some who follow, no matter how obvious your sham, and they will even drink your Kool-Aid.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
But not a majority. And the minority who do follow will be similarly looked down upon.

How does being in a majority, or in a looked down upon minority, change who you are? You are an individual, a majority of one when it comes to your soul. The ONLY thing that should matter is the Truth.

leibowde84

Veteran Member

If you even admit fulfilling Biblical prophecy, most people's inclination is to ridicule you, and belittle you as another fraud, before ever assessing the info.

So fair enough in the grand scheme of things, if a person really did fulfill prophecy, they'd know from God it is real....

Yet should they feel embarrassed, and refrain from telling religious people, or do the complete opposite, and boldly state the reasons they've been sent? :innocent:
What do you mean exactly by "fulfilling prophecy"?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

A "prophecy" that a person can choose to fulfill isn't exactly clearing a high bar as far as prophecies go.

In fact, that sort of prophecy isn't a prophecy at all; it's called a plan.

wizanda

Premium Member
What do you mean exactly by "fulfilling prophecy"?
Like say the person had been told, and done stuff in advance, then found it all written into the Bible; so then realized what they'd been told was true. ;)
I think that if someone were fulfilling Biblical prophecy or were Prophets themselves, they wouldn't need to ask.
They don't, it is for the sake of questioning, if people would say snarky things.
A "prophecy" that a person can choose to fulfill
As saying the prophecies have already happened, confirming to the person what they've been shown is true.... Yet then they find it in the Bible afterwards..

The question is would you bother using it as evidence to share with the world, when what you've been told, is that most of the world has already been deceived?
If you have the charisma, there will always still be some who follow, no matter how obvious your sham, and they will even drink your Kool-Aid.
Say they didn't want to start another cult/religion; yet were sent to fix what was already messed up; thus say they needed to challenge most of the Christian, Jewish, Muslim communities and tell them they've all been conned.....

Thus even with divine charisma, would you bother or just be embarrassed, that you can't even tell people who you are really? :innocent:

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Like say the person had been told, and done stuff in advance, then found it all written into the Bible; so then realized what they'd been told was true. ;)
I guess my first thought would be coincidence, as Biblical Prophecies are always very vague.

wizanda

Premium Member
I guess my first thought would be coincidence, as Biblical Prophecies are always very vague.
As saying the world full of skeptical people everywhere.....

Say it was so succinct, and the information relating across the whole of the text, that even with a very skeptical mind you find it solid, and the case you could explain to people, so complicated people would be astounded if they got it....

Yet that also being part of the problem, a lot of people want a simple religion, with simple options, so it would go over many people's head...

Would you bother if you knew it was certain, and not just coincidence? :)

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Would you bother if you knew it was certain, and not just coincidence? :)
Sure, but how on earth could someone be certain about something like that when there are a plethora of examples of people who thought they were fulfilling prophecy but ended up just being delusional?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
As saying the prophecies have already happened, confirming to the person what they've been shown is true.... Yet then they find it in the Bible afterwards..
Ah. So not fulfilling prophecy as in "the Bible says X will happen, so let's go make X happen"? That's good, at least.

The question is would you bother using it as evidence to share with the world, when what you've been told, is that most of the world has already been deceived?
Back up a step: what makes this "fulfilled prophecy" evidence? Most prophecies don't clear the bar to be evidence of anything, IMO.

What is the prophecy? Is this particular prophecy specific enough that "fulfilling" it would be meaningful?

wizanda

Premium Member
Back up a step: what makes this "fulfilled prophecy" evidence? Most prophecies don't clear the bar to be evidence of anything, IMO.

What is the prophecy? Is this particular prophecy specific enough that "fulfilling" it would be meaningful?
Great questions, it would depend if the person had any witnesses, as most people now a days want to see the evidence themselves....

So if you said for instance, 'God spoke with me', 'there was thunder from every direction'.....People would ask if you had it on video. :p

Guess the evidence is only sufficient for the person who experienced it, and relating it to others to tell them they are wrong, is a no win situation. :oops:
be embarrassed about fulfilling a Biblical prophecy because I'm not Christian. Talk about awkward.
Neither were the prophets or Yeshua. ;)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Great questions, it would depend if the person had any witnesses, as most people now a days want to see the evidence themselves....
... which is reasonable.

So if you said for instance, 'God spoke with me', 'there was thunder from every direction'.....People would ask if you had it on video. :p

Guess the evidence is only sufficient for the person who experienced it, and relating it to others to tell them they are wrong, is a no win situation. :oops:
It's only a no-win situation if you don't have a solid foundation for your case.

BTW: when people ask you what the prophecy was and you dance around the question instead of answering it, you don't inspire confidence. That's the behaviour of somebody who knows that he's wasting people's time, not somebody who is certain of what he's talking about.

wizanda

Premium Member
BTW: when people ask you what the prophecy was and you dance around the question instead of answering it, you don't inspire confidence.
This thread is about asking the question of, 'what if it was you?'....So was just hypothetically trying to answer the question between us. ;)
It's only a no-win situation if you don't have a solid foundation for your case.
The case is solid; yet imagine it shows that many of the Abrahamic faiths are entitled to nothing, and that judgement day might be around the corner....

It is a win situation for you knowing you'll be in the Messianic age; yet the message within the text is, 'God told you so!'

It is thus a no win situation... :confused:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
This thread is about asking the question of, 'what if it was you?'....So was just hypothetically trying to answer the question between us. ;)
Your hypothetical included assumptions that are unlikely to be true. That problem should be dealt with before addressing the questions you asked.

Also, I may be wrong, but you seemed to hint that this was something you're actually dealing with. Your questions seemed to have a "what would you do if you were in my shoes?" tone to them.

The case is solid;
I'm not willing to take this premise of your hypothetical as given. What makes the case solid?

allfoak

Alchemist
I don't know what to think @wizanda?
Shouldn't you be thrown over board and eaten by a whale or fed by ravens or call down fire from heaven or something crazy like that in order to substantiate the source of your message first?

Look at poor @George Manuel Oliveira trying to convince people he is the christ.
Nobody is listening.

If you guys could tell us how to become a christ or a prophet then maybe we would listen.