• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Women Preach the Word of God?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Victor said:
Neither do I...
That surprises me, as a Catholic, I would have thought that you would. Another absurd generalisation which was erroneous.:D

Aqualung

Tasty
michel said:
That surprises me, as a Catholic, I would have thought that you would. Another absurd generalisation which was erroneous.:D
There's a difference between preaching and being a priest. We are all called to preach (to spread the gospel and be missionaries to the people around us).

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
michel said:
With preaching? :confused:
You may be confusing it for the preisthood. Something I also don't lose sleep over but submit to the Church.

iris89

Hi barnabus

One Bible dictionary said the following,

In the period of the Judges, Deborah served as a source of information from Jehovah, making known his judgments on certain matters and conveying his instruction, as in his commands to Barak. (Jg 4:4-7, 14-16) Thus, during a period of national weakness and apostasy, she served figuratively as "a mother in Israel." (Jg 5:6-8) Huldah the prophetess served in a similar manner, in King Josiah’s day, making known God’s judgment toward the nation and its king.—2Ki 22:14-20; 2Ch 34:22-28.[source - Insights on the Bible, Vol. 2]

Now if the true God (YHWH) of Abraham saw fit to use Deborah as a preacher and prophetess, why do you feel you have superior knowledge to the true God (YHWH) of Abraham? Don't you think you are being haughty?

Your Friend in Christ Iris89

PHOTOTAKER

depending on where you get your information... Jesus commanded all to preach, most religions don't take that into concentration. if you have obtained the word of god you should teach it with the sprit... if you don't teach the word with the sprit of god then you do not know the word of god. when ever i feel the sprit when i am teaching or talking to people my words seem to be guided and the feeling that i get is the most peaceful, comforting felling that i have ever received, but i believe that women have a whole mess of things that need to be taught because of there special ability to create life. with there love and kind heart men learn to be better fathers, and men not only to there family but also to others that they deal with…

I don’t mean to be random and just jump in…

Booko

Deviled Hen
iris89 said:
Should Women Preach the Word of God?

Many due to a misunderstanding of Corinthians 14:34-35 as there are only 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 which I believe you are referring to, and if so you clearly do not understand that it is speaking about taking the leadership and/or oversight in the congregation as it says 1 Corinthians 14:34-35, "let the women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but let them be in subjection, as also saith the law. 35 And if they would learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home: for it is shameful for a woman to speak in the church." (American Standard Version; ASV) say they should not, especially Muslims. But let us consider how this applies. This applies to taking the lead and/or oversight in the congregation and not to preaching the word of God (YHWH) and assisting others to know it which is actually a commission given to all true Christians by their leader and savior Jesus (Yeshua) Christ at Matthew 24:14, "And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world for a testimony unto all the nations; and then shall the end come." (ASV).

I don't even think this is necessarily the misunderstanding, though it's possible.

I've heard it explained this way: In Judaism (as today among the Orthodox) women and men sit in the synagogue on separate sides, divided by a curtain. In some of the earliest Christian churches, this practice was continued (it's a matter of modesty). In early Christianity, women were encouraged to investigate and study their faith, so during services they would ask their husbands questions, through the curtain, which would disrupt the services. If that's so, then this verse is merely a call to order, and asking women to please save their questions until they get home, out of consideration for everybody.

On another tack, since you posted this in "Abrahamic religions" generally, the Baha'i Faith holds as one of its central principles the equality of men and women. Also, we have no priesthood, so that is no issue. So for us, the point is pretty moot.

iris89

Hi Everyone

Regardless of what you believe, the Bible says it all at Matthew 24:14, "
And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world for a testimony unto all the nations; and then shall the end come." (American Standard Version; ASV).

Now it does NOT say only one gender shall do it, so get real.

Your Friend in Christ Iris89

Mystic-als

I say it is absurd to even contemplate that God's Word can retain it's power when spoken by a lesser being. That of a woman. I think we should also instruct them that they should stop praying beause thats also just for us mutcho guys! MEN RULE!!!

Are you out of your mind!!!!! God's message was spoken by a donkey for crying out loud! If he can use a man, a donkey and a bush (burning not george W!) then he can maybe just maybe speak through a woman.

But you know better. God doesn't know what he is doing!

A

angellous_evangellous

barnabus said:
I apologize, but I do not believe women should be preachers. :bow:

I apologize for all the idiot men that preach like ignorant fools.

No problem here when God pours his Spirit out on all people.

A

angellous_evangellous

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Parallel Verses[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]<LX <CM <ML CH[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ASV: And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my Spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:

BBE: And after that, it will come about, says the Lord, that I will send my spirit on all flesh; and your sons and your daughters will be prophets, your old men will have dreams, your young men will see visions:

DBY: And it shall come to pass afterwards that I will pour out my Spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions.

KJV: And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:

JPS: And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out My spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions;

WBS: And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:

WEB: "It will happen afterward, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh; and your sons and your daughters will prophesy. Your old men will dream dreams. Your young men will see visions.

YLT: And it hath come to pass afterwards, I do pour out My Spirit on all flesh, And prophesied have your sons and your daughters, Your old men do dream dreams, Your young men do see visions.
[/FONT]

Melody

Booko said:
[/font][/font]I've heard it explained this way: In Judaism (as today among the Orthodox) women and men sit in the synagogue on separate sides, divided by a curtain. In some of the earliest Christian churches, this practice was continued (it's a matter of modesty). In early Christianity, women were encouraged to investigate and study their faith, so during services they would ask their husbands questions, through the curtain, which would disrupt the services. If that's so, then this verse is merely a call to order, and asking women to please save their questions until they get home, out of consideration for everybody.

I agree. It's interesting to note that the header pages to the book of Corinthians (in every version of the bibles I have) states that these were letters to the rebellious and out of control corinthian churches. The study notes on the verses admonishing women to keep silent say speak specifically that they were being addressed to a specific situation.

The idea that women are to be silent and not preach and the idea that somehow men are superior to women in this area is totally at odds with the rest of Scripture and what Jesus preached, so I can only come to the conclusion that we are misinterpreting what was meant.

A

angellous_evangellous

Melody said:
The idea that women are to be silent and not preach and the idea that somehow men are superior to women in this area is totally at odds with the rest of Scripture and what Jesus preached, so I can only come to the conclusion that we are misinterpreting what was meant.

It's at odds with Paul, too.

The concept that women should be silent and not preach is wholly antithetical to every Christian tradition in the New Testament. The very idea that a women should not be filled with the Spirit of God and preach/ prophesy/ serve is anti-Christ, satanic, heretical, and destructive to the mission of the Church.

Melody

Christiangirl0909 said:
The Bible says that man is the head of woman, and Christ is the head of the man.

"My Big Fat Greek Wedding" said that woman is the neck and she can turn the head any way she wants to. My husband would agree <evil grin>.

A

angellous_evangellous

http://www.franklinchurchofchrist.com/sermons/date/2004/htm/20040125AM.htm

B. Wives, submit as to the Lord (Ephesians 5:22).

Paul is quite clear and really leaves no room for equivocation on this point. Not only are you to submit to your husbands. You are to do so as to the Lord. In other words, how would you treat God almighty if He were the one standing there making the decision? That is the way you are to treat your husbands.

This is perhaps the most destructive thing imaginable that a pastor can teach.

Husbands/men are not gods.

Women are supposed to submit (according to the passage) as they submit to the Lord, not as if the man were the Lord. Christians are to submit to both eachother and the Lord, but do not worship eachother as they do to the Lord.

That is, we obey the Lord absolutely - we are currently submissive to the Lord by faith. We are to submit like we are submitting, but not in the same way!

A

angellous_evangellous

Christiangirl0909 said:
Women should live their lives as God wants them too. Don't ya think?

Absolutely.

I have no doubt, however, that your links are utterly useless in helping women understand what God wants...