• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Women Preach the Word of God?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Binyamin said:
Wasn't she a whore that jesus told people not to stone? I don't remember her...
If you dont remember her Don't Libel her.Perhaps this will help you
She was the first to find the empty tomb and then see the risen Christ.
She is recognised by many as the first appostle.( not Catholics)

Terry____________________________-
Blessed are those who bring peace, they shall be children of God

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Binyamin said:
Wasn't she a whore that jesus told people not to stone? I don't remember her...
No, St. Mary Magdalene was not a prostitute. That idea was an error made by St. Gregory the Great (a Pope of Rome) when he conflated St. Mary with the unnamed sinful woman of scripture. Many western Christians accepted and followed St. Gregory's error but this happened only in the west - she is one of our most important saints.

As to the question of this thread, it's perfectly acceptable for women to preach. There's a big difference between preaching and ordination (I am most certainly not in favour of the latter for women) and St. Mary Magdalene is a wonderful example of a female saint who preached. She preached alongside St. John at Ephesus and she also preached to the Emperor (she's shown in our icons holding a red egg which she used to explain the Resurrection to him). She is known as the Apostle to the Apostles because she carried the news of the Resurrection to the other Apostles and she most certainly was not edited out by the early Church as Terry suggested. I cannot speak, though, for what happened in the west after the Great Schism.

We also have a large number of other female saints who preached, some of whom are even called Equal to the Apostles. The idea of the 'removal' of female figures by a 'chauvinistic' early Church is easily disproven and owes more to the fiction of Dan Brown than it does to any historical facts.

James

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
JamesThePersian said:
most certainly was not edited out by the early Church as Terry suggested. I cannot speak,

James
I don't know when she was pushed into the background. But the church of england and other anglican and protestant churches teach nothing about her. And catholics on this forum seem to have little regard for her.

I hope one day she is seen as the important figure she is.

Terry__________________
Blessed are those who bring peace, they shall be children of God

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Terrywoodenpic said:
I don't know when she was pusehd into the background. But the church of england and other anglican and protestant churches teach nothing about her. And catholics on this forum seem to have little regard for her.

I hope one day she is seen as the important figure she is.
Oh, I'm aware of this. Given her place in the Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox communions, however, I suspect this is a legacy of St. Gregory the Great's error compounded, in the case of Protestants, by the general lack of veneration of saints. The early Church, though, certainly didn't push her into the background and I'd be hesitant to ascribe some sort of anti-feminine conspiracy (not syaing you do, but it's hardle an uncommon attitude) even in the west. I see it more as a genuine, but unfortunate, mistake.

James

iris89

Hi Everyone

Let's face it, the only thing that matters is what the Bible says. It matters NOT what the so called church of the East or that of the West says.

Your Friend in Christ Iris89

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
iris89 said:
Should Women Preach the Word of God?
Absolutely. Christ commands all people everywhere to preach and teach the gospel of Jesus Christ. However, in the assembling of the saints together on the first day of the week for worship to God, it is forbidden for women to preach and teach the word when other christian men are present to do it. Here is what believe in a nutshell:

1 Timothy 2:12 - Women are not permitted to teach or have authority over a man (in reference to procedures in the church). They must remain quiet (1 Cor. 14:34-35).
Women cannot be preachers or evangelists since they are not permitted to teach or have authority over men (1 Timothy 2:12; Titus 2:15).
Paul's command is in reference to Christians' conduct in the church (1 Timothy 3:15; 1 Cor. 14:23).
Paul's command is applicable to Christians in every age, siting God's creation of the human race when giving this command (1 Timothy 2:13-14; 1 Cor. 11:8-9).
Women cannot be preachers or teachers in situations where men are present. Older women are to teach the younger women (Titus 2:3-5)
1 Timothy 3:1-13; Titus 1:5-9 - Only men can be qualified to hold the office of elder (also called pastor and bishop) or deacon. No other offices are authorized in the church( 1 Cor. 4:6; Colossians 3:17). This also would exclude women from taking a leadership role in the church, and certainly the task of the preacher or minister is a role of leadership.

Also, I would just suggest that you who believe in the Word, keep from using words like chauvinistic to discribe it. If you believe that the Word is from God, through Paul, are you then saying that God is chauvinistic? Are you saying that Paul is? I would not dare say such a thing about the inspired Word. God, through Paul, outlined the way in which we as Christians should walk and a desire for all (men and women) to walk that path. He has designed a path and roles for both sexes, and it is up to us to follow those roles and that path, not to disregard it and use terms like chauvinist.

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
As I have probably said before, I don't believe women are to have authority over men. That means they shouldn't preach or lead hymns or teach a class that has men in it. This isn't to say that men are better than women. They just have a specific job in the church that was assigned to them, not women. Do you see where I am going w/ this?

Popeyesays

My religion has no clergy or preachers, and upholds that men and women are of equal value in the eyes of GOd - spiritually speaking.

Regards,
Scott

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In the Middle-Eastern societies of 2,000 years ago women were, at best, ornaments; at worst, livestock. The idea of an intelligent, competent, self-sufficient woman would have been exceedingly odd.
A girl was the property of her father till, shortly after puberty, she was "given away" to a new master.
An ordinary woman's purpose was to be a household servant and breeder, not an actual, competent "person." Intellect, ambition and independence in a woman were bizarre socio-pathologies.

By the standards of the time female literacy, independence or authority would have been shocking anomalies.

jonny

Could someone define "preach" for me?

Women in the LDS church cannot hold the priesthood, but they participate in meetings the same as the men. In fact, in the Sacrament services in my ward we usually have three speakers and normally two out of the three are women. Women also teach classes at church and have their own organization - the Relief Society. My sister and grandmother were both missionaries with the calling to "preach the gospel."

Perhaps preaching is different in the LDS church than other Christian churches, but I really don't see a problem with women preaching and teaching. I learn a lot from them.

iris89

Hi Everyone

Some are going off-the-deep-end on this subject. All should go back and read my original post that started this thread.

iris89

Hi I believe in tranquility

All who are obedient to God (YHWH) should preach whether women or man per Matthew 24:14, "
And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come." (Authorized King James Bible; AV), but first they must bring their life in harmony with God's (YHWH's) word such as Romans 1:22-28, "Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

1. And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;" (AV).

lunamoth

Will to love
Women should be priests if they are so called. This baloney about not having authority over men is not applicable, as priests and teachers and all other ministers, which includes evey baptized person, are servants and not "authorities." Likewise, when giving blessings etc. it is always in the Name of the Lord, not on that person's authority. My understanding of it, anyway.

26You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, 27for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise. (Gal 3, NIV)

peace,
lunamoth

lunamoth

Will to love
lunamoth said:
This baloney ...
Upon reflection I apologize for the disrespectful rhetoric here--I was in a hurry. :eek:

I agree with others above who pointed out that the Holy Spirit is still working in our world and with our understanding of Scripture. I would not lightly disregard the Bible, but I do think that we are actively guided by the Spirit to see the admonishments given by Paul and others in a historical light.

peace,
lunamoth

iris89

Hi lunamoth

Women should preach and tell others about God (YHWH) and his Son, Jesus (Yeshua) Christ per Matthew 24:14, "
And this glad message of the kingdom will be proclaimed in all the inhabited earth, for a witness unto all the nations,––and, then, will have come, the end." (Rotherham Bible; RB). It says nothing about male or female with respect proclaims of the message. And declaring/preaching this glad message is NOT exercising authority over males.

I am an Ordained Minister of the Gospel and a women.

A

A. Leaf

Personally I think Man and Woman are both equal, both with different gifts in the physical. But both equal. I would not be typing this if it was'nt for the Lord Almighty, Holy Spirit and me Mother and Father.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
iris89 said:
Hi lunamoth

Women should preach and tell others about God (YHWH) and his Son, Jesus (Yeshua) Christ per Matthew 24:14, "
And this glad message of the kingdom will be proclaimed in all the inhabited earth, for a witness unto all the nations,––and, then, will have come, the end." (Rotherham Bible; RB). It says nothing about male or female with respect proclaims of the message. And declaring/preaching this glad message is NOT exercising authority over males.

I am an Ordained Minister of the Gospel and a women.

I personally see no reason why women should not preach.;)