• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Western governments end no fault divorce?

danieldemol

Premium Member
Taken from another poster on another thread;

"Popenoe (who has made family is life study) suggested ending no fault divorce if kids are involved as it harms them a lot and requiring good cause to end a marriage."

I think the issue here is whether both parents live with the children rather than whether they remain formally married.

Perhaps ending no-fault divorce would only produce nominally married separated single parents.

And can you force couples to live together? For example suppose Dad is a pilot and gone half the time for work, or a troop on deployment in a foreign nation etc.

I do think it wise to educate people about the value of two parent relationships on children, but is it wise to legislate it?

Thoughts?
In my opinion.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

"Popenoe (who has made family is life study) suggested ending no fault divorce if kids are involved as it harms them a lot and requiring good cause to end a marriage."

I think the issue here is whether both parents live with the children rather than whether they remain formally married.

Perhaps ending no-fault divorce would only produce nominally married separated single parents.

And can you force couples to live together? For example suppose Dad is a pilot and gone half the time for work, or a troop on deployment in a foreign nation etc.

I do think it wise to educate people about the value of two parent relationships on children, but is it wise to legislate it?

Thoughts?
In my opinion.

Topical! No-fault divorce became law in April here in the UK.

- No-fault divorce

danieldemol

Premium Member
Make divorce superfluous by discontinuing marriage!
If you are going to suggest a complete overhaul of social contract could you please provide some justification for doing so for those who are not on your wavelength?

In my opinion

Heyo

Veteran Member
If you are going to suggest a complete overhaul of social contract could you please provide some justification for doing so for those who are not on your wavelength?

In my opinion
I could but I won't. Not now, at least as I'm heading to the time machine again.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Thoughts?
In my opinion.

I guess I have mixed feelings on this, since my own parents got divorced when I was 6. Obviously, if people don't want to live together, then it would be unwise to force them to.

I do think that more consideration should be given to the children in such situations. Child custody cases can often seem even messier than the divorce itself.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

Thoughts?
In my opinion.

Hi Daniel. Just dropping you a line to say hello. Give our love to your your mum dad, sister brother, wife and kids. It’s really icy cold now. Just completed uni studies for a Diploma in Counselling so my time’s my own. Anytime your up this way you’re always very welcome to drop in.

epronovost

Like half of pretty much all people born from the 80's onward in my country, my parents got divorced. I was 13 at the time had an older brother and two younger sisters, the youngest one being 3 at the time. None of us suffered from the divorce nor did we ever saw our parents fight or argue in a bitter manner in front of us. They remained cordial after the divorce and always put their children first in all things. They maintained a shared custody and lived within walking distance from one another. I know I got lucky, most divorce stories are more traumatic.

What messes up kids isn't divorce or seperation so much as anger, bitterness, conflict and violence (psychological or physical) between their two parents. No fault divorce isn't the problem, at worst it's a symptom of a problem within the couple life of people. You can't make to people at odd with one another love each other. You can't force feelings unto people.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Since the times of Roman law, marriage is seen as a contract.
So it has always had contractual implications.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Hi Daniel. Just dropping you a line to say hello. Give our love to your your mum dad, sister brother, wife and kids. It’s really icy cold now. Just completed uni studies for a Diploma in Counselling so my time’s my own. Anytime your up this way you’re always very welcome to drop in.
Thanks.
Give my love to your family.
Congratulations on completing your diploma :)

Heyo

Veteran Member

In my opinion
Marriage is traditionally a contract between people with unequal duties and status and the state. The people get a monetary benefit in exchange for the risk to support each other and their children. That is outdated since few couples live that traditional role model.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Marriage is traditionally a contract between people with unequal duties and status and the state.
There is no reason why peoples in a marriage should have unequal duties and status just because that is the way it was traditionally done.
The people get a monetary benefit in exchange for the risk to support each other and their children. That is outdated since few couples live that traditional role model.
What monetry benefit does the state provide to married couples? (I live in Australia and if I recieved a marriage payment I honestly don't recall it).

In my opinon.