• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should we Question our Beliefs

rrobs

You don't have "faith" that the sky is blue. You see it as blue, and thus believe it is blue because you saw it. But of course, this begs the philosophical question of what colors are and if they are objective, which makes this a bad example.
I know that what the churches teach. That's the only way they can get us to believe in things that are quite impossible, e.g. the trinity. They say you don't need to understand it, it can't be explained, so just take it by faith. That is not an accurate biblical usage of the word faith.

Faith comes when we learn enough about something to trust it. You have faith your friend will pay you back because you know him and his character. You trust him. But what about a complete stranger. You'd probably be disinclined to lend him anything because you don't know him or how he is. You have little or no faith he will pay you back.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
You don't have "faith" that the sky is blue. You see it as blue, and thus believe it is blue because you saw it. But of course, this begs the philosophical question of what colors are and if they are objective, which makes this a bad example.
The devil has everything to do with it.

2Cor 4:4,

In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
He's the one who keeps us from learning the truth. You may not believe that verse, but that is what it says. I chose to believe it. Others choose to believe something of their own imagination.

Once you know the truth, you know it. Questioning comes from not knowing. I don't learn about what I believe, I believe what I learn.

Questioning is not doubting

It helps you strengthen your belief and even help you speak of without quoting scripture. It helps you be comfortable with how you express yourself in your faith. Questioning is natural part of spiritual growth. Without that I'd assume no one can learn about their faith by taking things as for granted

What do you think questioning does???

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
@rrob

Questioning is like this:

You are studying the word. You read a verse. Hmm. You say. This is confusing. It doesn't seem to add up to what I know

Let me

Check other scriptures so I understand this better. Ooh that's why god meant this not what I thought it was.

Without that, how do you grow?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I can imagine the devil:

Ooh. He doesn't want to question his faith. I can mask as angel of light and tell him anything and he will believe

Questioning your faith is a step ahead and you know what may trip you up because you studied by all angle without taking things at face value

Spiritual maturity

Patrick Miron

Patrick4Jesus
The devil has everything to do with it.

In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
He's the one who keeps us from learning the truth. You may not believe that verse, but that is what it says. I chose to believe it. Others choose to believe something of their own imagination.

Once you know the truth, you know it. Questioning comes from not knowing. I don't learn about what I believe, I believe what I learn.

Friend are you aware that the bible is a Catholic book; that Saint Paul is a Catholic teaching others to become Catholics?

2nd Cor. 4:1-3 "[1] Therefore, seeing we have this ministration, according as we have obtained mercy, we faint not; [2] But we renounce the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor adulterating the word of God; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience, in the sight of God. [3]And if our gospel be also hid, it is hid to them that are lost,"

Satan can only influence US when WE permit him to.

Temptations are to be expected as the NORM for fallen man; BUT Jesus is on our side; and we can persevere and win, when re rely on Him and His Grace.

May God guide our life parth's
Patrick

Patrick Miron

Patrick4Jesus
I can imagine the devil:

Ooh. He doesn't want to question his faith. I can mask as angel of light and tell him anything and he will believe

Questioning your faith is a step ahead and you know what may trip you up because you studied by all angle without taking things at face value

Spiritual maturity

I think WHY we are questioning our faith is the fundamental issue here.

If our motive is to PROOF our beliefs {even if, per chance we discover in the process that we were wrong}, then I think the Holy Spirit is more than willing to assist us in or search for God's truth. .... Jesus said that "I AM the way, and the TRUTH and the Life"; hence no one can come to the Father except is seeking His Truths {always singular per defined issue.}

"Create a clean heart in me, O God: and renew a right spirit within my bowels."
[Psalms 50:12} ought to be OUR prayer, as we seek His Truth: Amen!

Patrick

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I think WHY we are questioning our faith is the fundamental issue here.

If our motive is to PROOF our beliefs {even if, per chance we discover in the process that we were wrong}, then I think the Holy Spirit is more than willing to assist us in or search for God's truth. .... Jesus said that "I AM the way, and the TRUTH and the Life"; hence no one can come to the Father except is seeking His Truths {always singular per defined issue.}

"Create a clean heart in me, O God: and renew a right spirit within my bowels."
[Psalms 50:12} ought to be OUR prayer, as we seek His Truth: Amen!

Patrick

A good motive, I feel, is to learn about your faith. One advantage to that is there is no need to quote because your faith speaks for itself. Unless it's a scripture discussion, speaking by the holy spirit makes others listen more than wanting us to read quotes only spiritually understood by the poster.

Another motive to question is to analyze more deeply the intent of scripture rather than taking it at face value. If people are in love with scripture it wouldnt bother them to question what's written to get a better perspective or what the holy spirit tells you.

But of the motive is proof, I can see why one would get defensive. Of course you have proof of gods words but understanding by questioning if for that purpose is different and no need for defense.

rrobs

Questioning is not doubting

It helps you strengthen your belief and even help you speak of without quoting scripture. It helps you be comfortable with how you express yourself in your faith. Questioning is natural part of spiritual growth. Without that I'd assume no one can learn about their faith by taking things as for granted

What do you think questioning does???
If I saw any verses that say that, I'd certainly rethink my premise. Do you know of any?

rrobs

Friend are you aware that the bible is a Catholic book; that Saint Paul is a Catholic teaching others to become Catholics?

2nd Cor. 4:1-3 "[1] Therefore, seeing we have this ministration, according as we have obtained mercy, we faint not; [2] But we renounce the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor adulterating the word of God; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience, in the sight of God. [3]And if our gospel be also hid, it is hid to them that are lost,"

Satan can only influence US when WE permit him to.

Temptations are to be expected as the NORM for fallen man; BUT Jesus is on our side; and we can persevere and win, when re rely on Him and His Grace.

May God guide our life parth's
Patrick
I appreciate your thoughts, but I can't say I agree as to the Bible being Catholic. I attended 12 years of Catholic school with 1 hour religion 5 days a week. and always understood the Bible to take a back seat to the Catechism. I don't recall having ever actually read the Bible that whole time. I was quite taken back when I started to read it for myself. It contradicted much of what I was taught by the priests.

I totally agree that we will be tempted. I like to say God votes for me, the devil votes against me, so I determine the election. So yes, Jesus is absolutely on our side. That's always good to remember. Thanks for the reminder!

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

The devil has nothing g to do with questioning your faith in order to strengthen it.

What does questioning mean to you?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

The devil has nothing to do with questioning your faith in order to strengthen it

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The devil has nothing to do with questioning your belief in order to learn from it.

Questioning your faith isnt the same as doubt. It means being open and critical of what you believe is true as not to take it for granted. Its learning about what you believe instead of taking it at face value. Its part of the spiritual journey.

This has nothing to dow it my comment (probably why i didnt refer to it)

When you question, you learn and when you learn, you are not blind.

What does questioning mean to you that the devil has an influence to make you blind instead of using it to learn more about god?

rrobs

The devil has nothing g to do with questioning your faith in order to strengthen it.

Well, that's a very appropriate question to ask. Maybe I misunderstand you. I take questioning to mean doubting. Maybe that's not what you are thinking. If not what do you take it to mean?

On the other hand, I have questions about things I don't already know, tons of them actually. I have questions as to how one section of scripture mentions some king (I forget who now) being 22 years old and another section says he was 42. However, if and when I figure that out, I will no longer question it. It will then be a part of my faith. Even then I would be open to a better explanation if it comes along. But if questioning means doubting what I know about God, then I reject the proposition altogether.

God told Adam and Eve in clear terms not to eat of the tree of knowledge. That should have been part of their faith and never doubted. However, along comes the devil and gets them to doubt what God clearly said. That's the kind of questioning I'm against.

Well, maybe that helped us to see each other's proposal a bit more clearly.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Well, that's a very appropriate question to ask. Maybe I misunderstand you. I take questioning to mean doubting. Maybe that's not what you are thinking. If not what do you take it to mean?

On the other hand, I have questions about things I don't already know, tons of them actually. I have questions as to how one section of scripture mentions some king (I forget who now) being 22 years old and another section says he was 42. However, if and when I figure that out, I will no longer question it. It will then be a part of my faith. Even then I would be open to a better explanation if it comes along. But if questioning means doubting what I know about God, then I reject the proposition altogether.

God told Adam and Eve in clear terms not to eat of the tree of knowledge. That should have been part of their faith and never doubted. However, along comes the devil and gets them to doubt what God clearly said. That's the kind of questioning I'm against.

Well, maybe that helped us to see each other's proposal a bit more clearly.

Yeah. Questioning can mean doubting or questioning as in analyzing more into what you learned because you are confused so you seek guidence by asking how point A and point B in scripture relate even though your mind says they are seperate.

There is a lot of examples of people who question their faith such as Abraham who questioned god saying to him instead of kiling the whole city of Guamala, kill only the ones who commit the crime and so forth. Bargaining with god. It wasnt that he doubted, but his heart was foremost for the people before punishing them as a whole as his god wanted to do.

Either a person can take that at face value: god is an angry vengful god or that person can question that scripture and say, maybe god is teaching a lesson-let me look at it another way thats not directly stated in scripture (in my opinion, let me think for myself).

But without that, (I guess) the devil can do anything and people take his word for it. Its a balance.

As for doubt, I dont think thats a bad thing. Unless you are 100 percent certain you know everything (like christ), Id assume there is room for doubt even though you have the holy spirit to guide you through it.

Doubt is normal. Ego isnt.

Neuropteron

Bible evidence shows that it was in the year 1914.
Jesus Christ made this promise to his apostles when he was with them the night before his death. "I am coming [Gr parousia: presence] again and will receive you home with me, that where I am you also may be" (John 14:3).
It was then that the cry was heard in heaven:" Now have come to pass the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Christ" (Rev 12;10)

siti

Bible evidence shows that it was in the year 1914.
I had a feeling you might say that...

So from the time David (reportedly) received the promise - about 1000 BCE (very roughly) - to about 600 BCE (again very roughly - I mean some say 607 other 587/586) but for about 400 years there was a King in David's line on the throne of Israel (well part of his Kingdom at any rate - the other part dropped out after only about half a century just after Solomon popped his clogs. Anyway, from then until 1914 - that's about - well let's assume that you guys are right and it is exactly 2520 years - there wasn't. And then for about 100 years there was again. So out of the last 3000 years - since the promise was made - at best there was a King from David's descendants for about 500 and at worst only about 150 (which includes 100 years of - increasingly, it seems - invisible rule in the heavens of course).

I reckon David would be justified in thinking that God's promise in this case didn't work out too well - don't you?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
A belief that is not questioned is not freely chosen. Indeed, it is not chosen if one doesn't know the options. People only familiar with their own faith have not made a choice.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
The apostle Paul was well-educated and extremely zealous for the traditions of his fathers. His beliefs however created problems for him. It led to him persecuting the congregation of God and devastating it. It required a dramatic intervention by Jesus himself to move Paul to adjust his beliefs.

By exercising their freedom of religion, earth's 8 billion inhabitants have produced an amazing diversity of beliefs. This leads to the question, should we exercise caution in regards to what we believe ?

At times belief is dictated by upbringing, peer pressure, majority thinking, emotionalism, or simply because we want to believe it.

One professor said that even scientists " often fall in love with their own constructions." Their beliefs becloud their critical judgment. Then they may spend a lifetime trying to shore up mistaken beliefs.

Similar things have happened with religious beliefs where immense contradictions exist. One man has deep faith in God. Another says that the man is only " weaving faith out of moonshine." One maintains that you have an immortal soul that survives death. Another believes that when you die you cease to exist, totally and completely.

Obviously, conflicting beliefs like these cannot all be true. Is it not the course of wisdom, then, to make sure that what we believe is actually true and not influenced by others or by our own emotions ?

The Bible explains: Faith is the assured expectation (or evident demonstration) of reality although not yet seen.

Would you agree that this statement, taken from the Bible, advocates using facts as the basis for our faith ?

ref: Acts 9:1-6; 26:14;1;Timothy 4:1; 2;Timothy 4:3;4 ;Heb 11:1; 1Timothy 2:4; John 8:32.

Since this is Religion Q&A. Why did God intervene with Paul? And how is that different from messing around with his free will?

Ciao

- viole

Thief

Rogue Theologian
should we exercise caution in regards to what we believe ?
if your hand does anything at all.....
it's because you thought you should
or because you felt like it

God and heaven will approve?

Someone will ask.....what do you believe?

you might then hear.....WHO told you THAT???
and WHY did you believe it??????

They will deal with you
and then go searching for the source of the problem

Patrick Miron

Patrick4Jesus
A good motive, I feel, is to learn about your faith. One advantage to that is there is no need to quote because your faith speaks for itself. Unless it's a scripture discussion, speaking by the holy spirit makes others listen more than wanting us to read quotes only spiritually understood by the poster.

Another motive to question is to analyze more deeply the intent of scripture rather than taking it at face value. If people are in love with scripture it wouldnt bother them to question what's written to get a better perspective or what the holy spirit tells you.

But of the motive is proof, I can see why one would get defensive. Of course you have proof of gods words but understanding by questioning if for that purpose is different and no need for defense.

Might I ask? What is the role of TRUTH in one's effort to learn {"prove"????} ones faith.

2 Peter 1: [16] For we did not follow cleverly devised myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty. [17] For when he received honor and glory from God the Father and the voice was borne to him by the Majestic Glory, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased," [18] we heard this voice borne from heaven, for we were with him on the holy mountain. [19] And we have the prophetic word made more sure. You will do well to pay attention to this as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. [20] First of all you must understand this, that no prophecy of scripture is a matter of one's own interpretation, [21] because no prophecy ever came by the impulse of man, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.

Douay Bible explanation 20 "No prophecy of scripture is made by private interpretation"... This shews plainly that the scriptures are not to be expounded by any one's private judgment or private spirit, because every part of the holy scriptures were written by men inspired by the Holy Ghost, and declared as such by the Church; therefore they are not to be interpreted but by the Spirit of God, which he hath left, and promised to remain with his Church to guide her in all truth to the end of the world. Some may tell us, that many of our divines interpret the scriptures: they may do so, but they do it always with a submission to the judgment of the Church, and not otherwise.

21 For prophecy came not by the will of man at any time: but the holy men of God spoke, inspired by the Holy Ghost. End Quotes

May God guide our path,
Patrick; THANKS for your POST