• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should we discover new viruses and test them?

King Phenomenon

Is there any benefit gained from discovering new wild animal viruses and testing them to find cures for human diseases and other scientific advancements other than finding cures for that particular virus and helping that specific wild animal?

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
Cures for human ailments and other science based advancements
Well sort of. I think the vaccine candidate Oxford has just put into clinical trials is a chimpanzee virus, genetically engineered to include some of the material from SARS-COV-2.

I think we do analyse animal viruses, especially those we think might be able to make a jump to man. I understand the Chinese knew so early on that SARS-cov-2 came originally from a bat virus because of work they had done on analysing bat viruses. And I presume similar work has been done on the origins of 'flu' viruses, involving birds and pigs.

King Phenomenon

Well sort of. I think the vaccine candidate Oxford has just put into clinical trials is a chimpanzee virus, genetically engineered to include some of the material from SARS-COV-2.

I think we do analyse animal viruses, especially those we think might be able to make a jump to man. I understand the Chinese knew so early on that SARS-cov-2 came originally from a bat virus because of work they had done on analysing bat viruses. And I presume similar work has been done on the origins of 'flu' viruses, involving birds and pigs.

So A chimpanzee virus is being used to help find a vaccine for Sars cov 2? Did I interpret that right?
Do you know if the Chinese found cures for any human ailments or any others scientific advancement From studying SARS cov 2?
It's good probably that we analyze pig viruses because we do deal with pigs but coronaviruses from bats maybe we should've left alone? Isn't coronavirus is worse than swine flu ?

King Phenomenon

I'm just curious I don't know too much about it but if the swine flu was discovered in 1919 then why did it take 90 years to make a vaccine?

King Phenomenon

I'm just curious I don't know too much about it but if the swine flu was discovered in 1919 then why did it take 90 years to make a vaccine?
Oh I just read a little bit about it how pigs can be infected with more than one virus and it mutates so that's probably why it took so long

exchemist

Veteran Member
Oh I just read a little bit about it how pigs can be infected with more than one virus and it mutates so that's probably why it took so long
That's right about the pig thing. They seems to act as a sort of mixing vessel, in which bird and human viruses can exchange material and become effectively hybrids - which are then new to the human immune system and can cause a new 'flu' epidemic.

But I don't know about swine 'flu. That's something else, I think.

Shad

Veteran Member
Is there any benefit gained from discovering new wild animal viruses and testing them to find cures for human diseases and other scientific advancements other than finding cures for that particular virus and helping that specific wild animal?

The problem is containment. Testing is fine. More testing now hopeful cut down the need to test when a virus is already in the population.