• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should voting in all elections be compulsory of voluntary?

Should voting in elections be

• Compulsory

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Voluntary

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

tcprowling

In this country, Australia, every body over the age of18 has the right to Vote. In fact it is complusory that you do vote other wise you can be fined.
In the US and UK i believe that voting is voluntary.
IMO I am quite comfortable with the compulsory Voting.I believe if you want to have a say in the running of your country then voting, for or against the current government, gives you the right to criticise or protest the way the country is being run. However that is just my opinion. How do you feel? Should voting be Compulsory or voluntary?
Comment here
Register your vote in the attached poll LOL

Capt. Haddock

Evil Mouse
I'm divided.
I think it's great that voting is considered a civic duty. High turnout rates means that policies will more closely reflect the will of the people.

On the other hand, a lot of people are just uninformed and don't care, so why have them cast a ballot randomly or based on irrelevant matters? Maybe quality is better than quantity.

gnomon

Personally, I prefer that people who are so apathetic about our country refrain from voting. The last thing we need are ballots cast in complete ignorance. What good is the vote if it's basically just random?

I would prefer that people who are so adamant about voting but only pay attention to our national elections become more active in our local elections. Too few people realize just how much their local elections involve issues that effect them immediately. Cobb County raised its sales tax about a year or so ago and I was taken aback by the number of customers I deal with who were surprised at the increase. If they don't like it they should have voted.

Also, if voting were mandatory would it possible to walk into a voting booth and cast a no vote on certain issues or particular positions?

I do see the attraction in mandatory voting considering the terribly low turnouts here in the States.