• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Trump step down and let another conservative run?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
You know,
the last time the GOP simply put up a presidential candidate and won the most votes was 1988.
Bush II lost by half a million votes. His father ran in 88 as a continuation of Reagan administration.
The last time the GOP ran solely on the platform and won was Reagan and that was 1980.

If Pence and the Republicans pulled off this coup, installing a president nobody voted for, it would help illustrate why I cannot vote for them any more.
Tom

Laika

Premium Member

Yes. Absolutely. But it would be a horrendous mess and screw up the entire election by throwing an unknown quantity onto the Republican ballot.

I'd go so far as to say Trump and the Republican Party should withdraw from the 2016 election and give national third-parties on the ballot a chance. Honestly, That would be the greatest gift they could give to American Democracy right now. It would make every poll and forecast irrelevant and put the Clinton campign into unprecedented territory where they could concieveably loose to a third party.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
think it might do more good than harm, but the early elections do raise issues with changing candidates

The premise that people can just break or ignore the political system when they don't get the results they want is about as undemocratic as they come.
This is not Egypt.
Tom

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Early ballots are being mailed out today in my state. Too late to change who's on the ticket.

Akivah

The OP title presumes that Trump is a conservative. His statements and positions don't support that. There are no conservatives in this election.

jonathan180iq

Why are so many Republicans jumping on the #NeverTrump thing now?
Because they picked a demagogue without a clue? Or just because he is losing yuuugely?
Tom
Same reason they're all claiming that the system is rigged... They voted in an unelectable candidate and don't want to own the responsibility for doing so.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Not Pence?
To answer that question, we'd need an answer to a question I keep asking.
What do the words "conservative" and "liberal" mean any more? I see Hillary as more conservative than Trump, but less so than either VP candidate.
But that's just me.
Tom

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
To answer that question, we'd need an answer to a question I keep asking.
What do the words "conservative" and "liberal" mean any more? I see Hillary as more conservative than Trump, but less so than either VP candidate.
But that's just me.
Tom
Whatever party politics happen to decide that day, usually. I think dice are involved?

Acim

Revelation all the time
Don't think he should, but do think it would be cool if say 3 days before election date (Nov. 8) he said he is stepping down to let Pence be at the helm (become POTUS).

Yeah, I realize ballots are out, but what if Trump dies right now (today), then what? I would think then Pence takes over, I would think if Trump wanted to remove himself he could, and ballots with his name on it, and people voting for him would be on par with write-in type votes. Though, if he's alive he could stipulate that a vote for him is a vote for Pence and that he'll have an advisor role. Pence could make clear that he'll be invoking all campaign promises that Trump has stated, and perhaps fine tweaking them under his own judgment, to which Trump could say he's fully on board with that.