• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Trump Admit his Mistakes?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Has anyone ever heard Donald Trump admit to making a mistake?

I tell myself, "The day I stop making mistakes is the day I die". Still I don't like admitting it. Maybe to myself when I can correct them before anyone notices. I have admitted my mistakes before, taken responsibility but never liked it.

However certainty is infectious. I suspect part of what got Trump elected was his certainty, MAGA. People want their leaders to be certain. Admission of a mistake is frequently the downfall of any politician.

If Trump were to admit he made a mistake calling some African countries, what he called them, would that make him a better president? I don't think he will. It's not in his character. If fact if if he started admitting to his many mistakes, even unintended racism, I suspect he'd start to lose much of his base supporters.

Usually people just want to know someone has accepted the blame for a mistake made. Accepted responsibility for it. Still we don't want to see our leaders making mistakes.

So while I think many are willing to forgive a person's mistake, they aren't likely to elect someone who admits to making them.

Skwim

Veteran Member
What mistakes? To one extent or another everything he's done has been to serve his self interests. So I'd say he's been right on target in everything he's done. That they may not coincide with the best interests of the country or anyone else is immaterial.

suncowiam

Yes, but then he would be seen as "weak."

I know people like him. I see it in my work. They're usually in higher levels of management. Admitting mistakes to them is almost like a sin. It's mostly a net result of culture that the company installed. Our CEO is trying to change that but there's still a double standard for senior management than individual contributors.

Trump has installed this culture in his shows, so I'm not surprised.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

I tell myself, "The day I stop making mistakes is the day I die". Still I don't like admitting it. Maybe to myself when I can correct them before anyone notices. I have admitted my mistakes before, taken responsibility but never liked it.

Admitting mistakes allows us to learn, it is also respectful and helpful to anybody effected by our mistakes. There is no reason to not admit mistakes, it harms you and potentially harms others.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner

However certainty is infectious. I suspect part of what got Trump elected was his certainty, MAGA. People want their leaders to be certain. Admission of a mistake is frequently the downfall of any politician.

If Trump were to admit he made a mistake calling some African countries, what he called them, would that make him a better president? I don't think he will. It's not in his character. If fact if if he started admitting to his many mistakes, even unintended racism, I suspect he'd start to lose much of his base supporters.

Usually people just want to know someone has accepted the blame for a mistake made. Accepted responsibility for it. Still we don't want to see our leaders making mistakes.

So while I think many are willing to forgive a person's mistake, they aren't likely to elect someone who admits to making them.

I would ask if one can envision mistakes if they don't believe in a right and wrong? My reason for asking is- I wonder if living in a society that increasingly sees morals as subjective is giving rise to this holier than thou attitude in politics? I've often wondered why people don't accept that Hillary Clinton could change when she says she has, and admits to being wrong in the past. I wonder if people think much about everyone being capable of mistakes?

Stanyon

WWMRD?
If he actually did make a mistake then possibly yes depending on what it is, popular opinion on what is or isn't does not constitute a mistake or the lack of one.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Admitting mistakes allows us to learn, it is also respectful and helpful to anybody effected by our mistakes. There is no reason to not admit mistakes, it harms you and potentially harms others.

Would you feel better or worse about Trump if he admitted to every mistake he made?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I would ask if one can envision mistakes if they don't believe in a right and wrong? My reason for asking is- I wonder if living in a society that increasingly sees morals as subjective is giving rise to this holier than thou attitude in politics? I've often wondered why people don't accept that Hillary Clinton could change when she says she has, and admits to being wrong in the past. I wonder if people think much about everyone being capable of mistakes?

Hillary admits to being wrong? :eek:

No wonder she didn't get elected. Just kidding, though apparently supporting my point. Maybe if she appeared to be more certain it would have been enough to get her more votes.

PureX

Veteran Member
What mistakes? To one extent or another everything he's done has been to serve his self interests. So I'd say he's been right on target in everything he's done. That they may not coincide with the best interests of the country or anyone else is immaterial.
So, ... selfishness is never wrong?

Jumi

People who voice uncertainty about their views are usually not that popular. It's people who are seen as unchanging and unwavering that the masses seem to like. That being said, if Trump or any other leader accepted their mistakes and admitted them in public it would raise my respect of them.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Would you feel better or worse about Trump if he admitted to every mistake he made?

Mentally, I'm thinking "Hey, Trump, admit you made a mistake and you'll get a number of critics off your back.

First, I don't think he'd ever do so. Second, I suspect if he was the kind of person who did he'd never have gotten elected in the first place.

But maybe I'm too cynical about the American voter.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Wouldn't that be something; the country setting a week aside just to listen to Trump go on about himself. Of course, because he'd be talking about himself, it's not inconceivable he do such a thing.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
People who voice uncertainty about their views are usually not that popular. It's people who are seen as unchanging and unwavering that the masses seem to like. That being said, if Trump or any other leader accepted their mistakes and admitted them in public it would raise my respect of them.

Exactly, it's weird this is the kind of leader we, er... the masses elect. We usually end up with a choice between two nobody really wants, so either vote the party or whatever you see as the lesser of two evils.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

I wish this was the case.

For some, a person admitting mistakes garners respect. For others, it does the opposite. No matter which path is chosen, you'll both gain and loose favor. Depending on what groups you want to gain/loose favor with, there are certainly reasons for strategically admitting mistakes (or not) in various cases.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I read some report that even Trump was surprised he was doing so well in the primaries.

If you win, it's hard to argue that your actions were wrong.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
If Trump were to admit he made a mistake calling some African countries, what he called them, would that make him a better president?

I sure think that it would.

I don't think he will. It's not in his character. If fact if if he started admitting to his many mistakes, even unintended racism, I suspect he'd start to lose much of his base supporters.

While I agree, it is would still be very much to everyone's benefit if he did.

Probably true, but not a reason for people to avoid admitting mistakes.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I read some report that even Trump was surprised he was doing so well in the primaries.

"That's

thumb_3455db3297b9f8acf3eadd3cec69e604.jpg

Where are you from, some s*** hole country like Haiti?"

Last edited: