• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should This Man Have Been Allowed To Speak?

The Neo Nerd

'Honour killings' speech prompts boycott of Festival of Dangerous Ideas

A speaker at the upcoming Festival of Dangerous Ideas will seek to defend so-called honour killings - the murder of women deemed to have brought shame or dishonour on their family.

Uthman Badar, a Sydney-based Muslim speaker, writer and activist, will deliver a presentation titled "Honour killings are morally justified" and argue that such acts are seized on by Westerners as a symbol of everything they dislike about another culture.

I don't think this man should be allowed to speak. Murder is a crime. Murdering a woman because she has "disgraced" her family is ******* revolting.

There is no excusing these actions.

What do you think?

The Neo Nerd

By giving him a platform to speak this hatred and bigotry you are indirectly lending legitimacy to the idea.

Treks

Further down in the article...

Co-curator Ann Mossop told Fairfax Media the speech will "obviously" not advocate honour killings but will discuss the framework in which the killings take place. She said many of the other sessions will present ideas that are considered ''feminist'' such as ''Women for sale'', a discussion of sex trafficking.

"Nobody needs to attend [Mr Badar's] session if they don't want to. Taking [it] in isolation is misleading, I think."

Like the article says, I'd say the title is a marketing stunt for the event, and probably reads in full "Honour killings are morally justified [within this cultural framework]". I'm intrigued to see what the talk is actually about. Let him speak. It will raise more awareness of the topic and I doubt that in Australia, anyone is going to say "Hey, great idea!" in response. If anything, a barrage of anti-honour killing topics will hit the tellie.

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
'Honour killings' speech prompts boycott of Festival of Dangerous Ideas

I don't think this man should be allowed to speak. Murder is a crime. Murdering a woman because she has "disgraced" her family is ******* revolting.

There is no excusing these actions.

What do you think?
I've never heard of the "Festival of dangerous ideas", but it sounds interesting.

I don't know what is going on here, but if that isn't a dangerous idea I don't know what is.

I think the best way to deal with this sort of thing is to let them talk then point and laugh. But since I don't know the context I am not sure that is appropriate here.

Tom

4consideration

Premium Member
By giving him a platform to speak this hatred and bigotry you are indirectly lending legitimacy to the idea.

Not necessarily.

The way I see it some people actually do the very thing he is talking about. It could be an opportunity for people to see the line of thinking that allows a person to think this is justified behavior, and have more information for dismantling the idea.

I think most people can't even wrap their brain around someone thinking such behavior is justified. It is difficult to effectively combat a bad idea if one does not understand why someone thinks it's a good idea.

There can be a fine line between discussing the reasoning behind an idea, and advocating for it. Since this seems to be an event called Festival of Dangerous Ideas, the idea of "Honor Killings" does qualify in my book as a dangerous idea.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

It doesn't grant it any more legitimacy than the creation of this thread does. That which you speak of, you grant power. That which you grant power, you grant legitimacy. Ignore that which you wish to dispel and speak of it not, and you starve away the idea of it with ignorance.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Mr Badar says he did not choose the title of the speech, but did consent to it. He also said he wanted to discuss a different topic.

"I, in fact, suggested a more direct topic about Islam and secular liberalism - something like 'The West Needs Saving By Islam' - how's that for dangerous?" Mr Badar said.

"But the organisers insisted on this topic, which I think is still a worthy topic of discussion, for many reasons."

Mr Badar also noted that events at the Festival of Dangerous Ideas are "confronting and provocative".

So once again the media are more focused drama than reality.

Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Hysteria wins out. Opera house cancels my session at #FODI. Welcome to the free world, where freedom of expression is a cherished value.
7:46 AM - 24 Jun 2014

Another quote from Mr Badar.

Tom

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

I just tend to err on the side of free speech. I'd rather a person be able to say what they want and for it to be confronted, then to have their right to speak their mind taken away and democracy as a whole suffering due to it.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If he's actually advocating criminal behavior, then I think you can make a case for his not being allowed to speak.

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
We perform honor killings, and imprisonments, right here in America, as well. There's always enough people to justify these things.

4consideration

Premium Member
That's kinda murky territory in a country that used to be run by Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, etc.

Tom

Doesn't this festival take place in Australia?

edit: I don't see the connection to the names mentioned. Could you elaborate?

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Maybe depending on who you are. Yet it can illustrate the mentality behind "honor" killings and maiming. It could expose the lunacy and madness of that type of thinking and action can bring about by simply having a person espouse his views. Speech should never be impeded, otherwise there is no justice served when everything comes to the table.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
We perform honor killings, and imprisonments, right here in America, as well. There's always enough people to justify these things.
There was actually a Muslim honor killing in my area. A man beheaded his wife no more than twenty miles from where I lived a while back. He's since been arrested and imprisoned for his crime.