• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should the US Leave Iraq

amorphous_constellation

Seems the Iraqis ain't too happy too happy with us being there anymore.

We missile strike Iran and Iraq protests. Seems times are changing.

Well think about if for a second, if you were an iraqi civilian trying to just lead a normal life, would you want there to be a greater possibility of war to happen right outside your door? If conflict between the u.s. and iran escalates, you don't want the battles to happen right where you are living

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Well think about if for a second, if you were an iraqi civilian trying to just lead a normal life, would you want there to be a greater possibility of war to happen right outside your door? If conflict between the u.s. and iran escalates, you don't want the battles to happen right where you are living

If we hadn't intervened, Iraq would likely now be part of Iran.

amorphous_constellation

If we hadn't intervened, Iraq would likely now be part of Iran.

Protesters Attack U.S. Embassy in Iraq, Chanting ‘Death to America’

Ok, so I read most of the above article, and between what it says and the images I see, I'm not sure what's being defended. So there was an 'Iran backed Iraqi militia in Iraq.' What? To me, that makes no sense and begs further explanation, but goes unexplained. The security forces allowed the protestors into the green zone, what? What look to be mobs and mobs and mobs of people starting fires and yelling? What exactly is the purpose of being around that.

74x12

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...3a10be-2af0-11ea-bffe-020c88b3f120_story.html

Yes or make themselves quite clear. I don't think the two countries have a clear understanding of their relationship. US seems to view Iraq as a kind of protectorate or something. The Iraqi's see themselves as fully autonomous. So, USA has to stop being hypocritical and declare to everyone what they really think. Or else respect Iraq's sovereignty. Which I would prefer.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...3a10be-2af0-11ea-bffe-020c88b3f120_story.html

There is no need to second-guess why we got involved, however there are examples now which we can always provide, forever, which demonstrate why we don't want to get involved anymore. At the time that we got involved it did seem important. There was a threat, however now we know that it was not a great enough threat to justify this series of responsibilities and problems. Also in future we should not rely upon (and cannot rely upon) superior weaponry and information systems, and that is another great reason not to get involved in this way again.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
At this point it is probably possible to sue for the government to restrain itself from such future interactions. We have the benefit of hind-sight and can ask the courts to review the decisions made, whether they were legal or illegal. Will anyone do that? I don't know, but it might help to restrain future administrations from getting us involved without more congressional approval. There could be other avenues for similar legal actions, too.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
A few reasons. One of the main reasons is manipulating oil markets as US was preparing to became #1 fossil fuel merchant.

I think, not 100% sure though, that we wanted to keep Russian out of the ME as much as possible.

danieldemol

Premium Member

Shad

Veteran Member
At this point it is probably possible to sue for the government to restrain itself from such future interactions. We have the benefit of hind-sight and can ask the courts to review the decisions made, whether they were legal or illegal. Will anyone do that? I don't know, but it might help to restrain future administrations from getting us involved without more congressional approval. There could be other avenues for similar legal actions, too.

Under US law the US government decides if it can be sued or not. It is called sovereignty immunity. 11A. Only Congress as part of government itself can take action against the Executive branch.

Last edited:

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
3l5d36.jpg