• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should The States Of NY, NJ and CT Have Been Quarantined?

Should NY, NJ, CT Have Been Quarantined?

• Yes

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Only Time Will Tell

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

esmith

Veteran Member
It appears that the question of quarantining NY, NJ, and CT was dropped in favor of the CDC issuing a travel advisory for those States.
No Quarantine

Your Opinions.

Shad

Veteran Member
It appears that the question of quarantining NY, NJ, and CT was dropped in favor of the CDC issuing a travel advisory for those States.
No Quarantine

Your Opinions.

I think quarantines are becoming increasingly becoming a necessary as US leadership from POTUS to Governors to Mayors, both D and R, have created a train wreck by often playing political games. Toss in far too many people are acting recklessly. How effective a quarantine will be is debatable. A problem is that this is more of less "throwing in the towel" thus egos will prevent many from action of this kind.

Granted some people will be exempt due to their job is necessary.

Keep in mind I do not put faith in people enough to believe advisory notices will be followed by enough of the population.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Given that the biggest game player by far is the narcissist POTUS anything is possible.

Given the level of incompetence, sealing off all the roads leading into and out of a state is quite some undertaking. But maybe Mexico will pay for a wall and it will be built in two weeks or so with the application of pixie dust. Or maybe he'll just bomb all the roads and railroads?

But of course he's got Godlike powers so he'll just "pluck his magic twanger" and it will be done. And the toadies will tell him what a wonderful blockade he's done overnight and that no one else could possibly have done what he did.

amorphous_constellation

Keep in mind I do not put faith in people enough to believe advisory notices will be followed by enough of the population.

Well, 'faith in people' is really what the whole american experiment is about, I guess. It's one definition of the word 'freedom,' anyway. And so the question is this: with freedom, do people make more right choices than wrong choices? Do they actually need copious regulation? Well with freedom, people quickly make the leap into living in individualized ways. This automatically makes them harder to manage or govern, but the 'faith in people' idea declares that they need less of that, it says that they are good enough to make good choices without being managed. If we cannot control this better than places with stricter governance, then surely freedom and individuality has a weak spot

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
No Quarantine

Your Opinions.
I can't speak for the others but New York should be sawed off and allowed to float off into the ocean until it's completely out of sight.

;O)

Shad

Veteran Member
Well, 'faith in people' is really what the whole american experiment is about, I guess. It's one definition of the word 'freedom,' anyway.

Which is why America has taken years to address some of it's core issue. Misplaced faith in people. Take the issue of slavery. A lot of the Founders thought it would die out as people came to their senses. People didn't.

And so the question is this: with freedom, do people make more right choices than wrong choices? Do they actually need copious regulation? Well with freedom, people quickly make the leap into living in individualized ways. This automatically makes them harder to manage or govern, but the 'faith in people' idea declares that they need less of that, it says that they are good enough to make good choices without being managed. If we cannot control this better than places with stricter governance, then surely freedom and individuality has a weak spot

There is always a balancing act between security and liberty

Skwim

Veteran Member
Should The States Of NY, NJ and CT Have Been Quarantined?
You mean by edict of the grand PoohBah his self, which he wanted to do? Not on your tintype pardner. He shouldn't be left to set his own alarm clock much less make decisions of import, even if it is his own sandbox.

Last edited:

amorphous_constellation

Which is why America has taken years to address some of it's core issue. Misplaced faith in people. Take the issue of slavery. A lot of the Founders thought it would die out as people came to their senses. People didn't.

Yes, interesting point.. what would the founders have thought if they saw that slavery would need war to stop it instead of freely accessible philosophy. I guess this is just another piece that helps build a broader point about human nature: that in order to do right, there is a certain threshold of expectation toward their needing to be compelled to do so.

On that note, in previous months I had watched some youtubes of people from UK for example, sort of talking up american freedoms and wondering if they'd like here, crying that they are over-regulated. I had even made a comment a while ago to one, telling them that our ala carte use of reusable plastic is clearly irresponsible, though they whined about having to use some kind of grocery bag from home all the time. No, I'm afraid that maybe you're government sometimes knows what's best for you

Shad

Veteran Member
Yes, interesting point.. what would the founders have thought if they saw that slavery would need war to stop it instead of freely accessible philosophy.

I doubt they would have thought anything different as the war and slavery issue were being discussed during many meetings and conventions for the creation of the Constitution. At best it would have harmed their egos.

I guess this is just another piece that helps build a broader point about human nature: that in order to do right, there is a certain threshold of expectation toward their needing to be compelled to do so.

The problem is that we can not separate those that do not from those that do before a situation comes to a head.

On that note, in previous months I had watched some youtubes of people from UK for example, sort of talking up american freedoms and wondering if they'd like here, crying that they are over-regulated. I had even made a comment a while ago to one, telling them that our ala carte use of reusable plastic is clearly irresponsible, though they whined about having to use some kind of grocery bag from home all the time. No, I'm afraid that maybe you're government sometimes knows what's best for you

I am Canadian. I just understand a lot of American history as a hobby historian. Canada swept it's issue under the rug for decades which are coming to a head now. For example some treaties with tribes in the east empower a hereditary system which overrides the democratic vote of tribe members fighting over pipeline development right now. The voter sided with the pipeline development when the hereditary leaders were against it..... because it was on their part of treaty land.