1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should the Bible be taken literally?

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by IceFire, Jul 31, 2004.

1. IceFire

IceFire Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well should it? I personally think there are too many contradictions in it for it to be taken as literally the word of god.

2. Runt

Runt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189
    Definitely not. It has SOME (not much, but some) value when it is taken metaphorically, but a literal interpretation contradicts reality itself. For example, Genesis gives a step by step account of Creation in which God divides the day from the night BEFORE he creates the sun and the stars. This, if taken literally, is pure ridiculousness.

3. hebrew

hebrew Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The answer to this question is, NO. Some scriptures you should take literally, and other scriptures are purely symbolic. The Adam and Eve story should not be taking literally; and alot of people dont know that. A VERY HIGH LEVEL OF UNDERSTANDING is needed to comprehend genesis. Adam and Eve did not really see themselves naked after they ate "the fruit" from the tree, the nakedness shows that they discovered shamefullness and sin. They really didnt eat "an apple"(which is not stated in the bible), but the fruit does stands for knowledge. Adam and Eve were not the first people(broken down in the apocrypha) formed on the earth; but they were the only ones dealing with some type of laws. The trees in genesis 2:15-16 stands for men(ezekial 31:3-9). There were certain men/people who they were not suppose to associated themselves with. The book of genesis takes time to break down, but one thing I can say is THE BIBLE DOES NOT CONTRADICT ITS SELF; FOR THE LORD IS NOT THE AUTHOR OFCONFUSION 1Corinthians 14:33. ICEFIRE, YOU JUST HAVE NO TYPE OF UNDERSTANDING OF
    THE SCRIPTURES BECAUSE THE LORD IS NOT DEALING WITH YOU ON THAT LEVEL AMOS 3:7; Thats why you feel the way you do.

4. dan

dan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    The bible is the word of God only insofar as it is translated correctly (and there is no perfect translation on the earth right now). If you take it literally in it's current state you will fall into the traps and snares of the Adversary.

5. (Q)

(Q) Active Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Isn't the Bible simply an account of what its authors thought about god, hence their interpretations of god.

6. Ardhanariswar

Ardhanariswar I'm back!

Ratings:
    +66
    fundamentalists beg to differ. sigh.

7. atheist_agnostic

atheist_agnostic New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The bible should not be taken literally. The bible has not been translated perfectly as it has been translated numerous times. The metaphorical ideas in the bible are actually quite good and have some valued points. However not all ideas are necessarily good and right. For instance the bible says that if you commit incest then "your blood shall spill." Now this is not saying that you will be killed but instead its metaphorical context is that there shall be consequences for your actions. There are way too many contradictions in the bible to be taken literally but if you take it metaphorically then the amount of faults is considerably smaller.

8. Ceridwen018

Ceridwen018 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +399
    And who is it, exactly, who is in charge of distinguishing between the two? I say it's gotta be all or nothing.

9. trishtrish10

trishtrish10 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    thank God there aren't any fundamenatlists here. the Bible is written in every form of literature available at the times: poems, proverbs, metaphors, similies, songs, analogies, parables, etc. if all these forms were to be taken literally u would go insane.

10. Ronald

Ronald Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Always read the complete book before giving a review.
    When He renews the Heavens and Earth and dwells with us there will be no heavenly lights and no need for day and night. Rev.21

11. trishtrish10

trishtrish10 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    God is divine and far outweighs any hopes, imaginings or ideas we may have. he is logical and illogical. for instance: outerspace is infinite, it cannot end, but logically thinking it should. because he is all knowing and powerful, he can create any entity he so desires. he gives us our good ideas and inspires us to do good. he allows us to make mistakes. do u allow others to make mistakes and still love them. he does. he is pure love.

12. Ceridwen018

Ratings:
    +399
    What does that have to do with the bible and whether or not it should be taken literally?

13. Jayhawker Soule

Jayhawker Soule <yawn> ignore </yawn>
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10,019
    Religion:
    Judaism
    To what variants of what books belonging to what canon of what bible are we referring?

14. civilcynic

civilcynic Member

Ratings:
    +22
    It seems that the posts here (at least up to now) agree that the Bible should not be taken literally. A view I share as well. The question, for me, is how do we use the Bible, if indeed, it must be interpreted. How do we know it has been translated with accuracy and who, exactly, can accurately interpret the Bible and then guide the faithful?

God may be divine and all-knowing but humans are fallible creatures. How can one be assured that those who preach from the Bible (regardless of their denomination) are truly providing the "Word of God". I have seen Bible quotes used to defend and/or condemn a number of different issues. We also have different Bibles floating around as well.....the most prevalent example of this is the difference between the Catholic Bible and the King James Version.

Does anyone feel that their religious leaders are reliable enough to accurately interpret the Bible without preconceived notions or bias and are accurately providing the Faithful with God's Word?

15. dan

dan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Yes, I know they are acting under direct revelation and guidance from God and Jesus Christ. I know that as well as I know that God lives.

16. Ceridwen018

Ratings:
    +399
    So what you're saying is that you aren't sure whether or not they know what they're doing because there's no evidence of any kind to support the assumption that they do.

17. dan

dan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    I don't know how you derived unsurety from my statement. God has shown me that He is guiding them and that I can trust that when they say He wants us to do this or that, they are acting under His authority. I thought I made my conviction clear.

18. civilcynic

civilcynic Member

Ratings:
    +22
    I am sure there are many of varying Faiths that believe that God is guiding them as individuals and/ or that their religious leaders are being guided by God.

The problem is that there are many differences among Faiths in the way the Bible is interpreted as well as different viewpoints from various religions on a number of issues (ie: homosexuality, abortion, birth control) facing humans today. What makes anyone believe or feel confident that their Faith is THE ONE TRUE WAY OF GOD? More importantly, still, is whether having those religious convictions give anyone the right to pressure or require others that do not hold those same beliefs into abiding by them?

19. painted wolf

painted wolf Grey Muzzle

Ratings:
    +1,652
    uh, hang on... if you don't have day or night, then what do you have?
    and how do you have it without 'heavenly lights"?

no book IMHO should be taken fully at face value... The more the book shouts to be the 'absolute truth' the more it should be held suspect.

wa:do

20. Christ Michael

Ratings:
    +1

Our Heavenly Father must be really confused:

Now you know why there are so many confused people !!

Cheers