• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should same sex marriage be legal?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Fine with me... Just please don't try and force religious institutions to perform them.
Has this ever happened?

To the best of my knowledge it hasn't.

But I do know of many times that religionists have tried to force the rest of us to change the definition of marriage to suit their religion.
Take my home state of Indiana as an example. Mike Pence spent many years and dollars trying to change our Constitution to match his religion. This is the same Mike Pence that Trump chose as Vice President.

Nobody ever tried to force any church to recognize all marriages. They don't even have to recognize interracial marriages, if that's how they interpret Scripture. But Trump's VP tried for years to change the definition of marriage from a legal union to a religious union, and put that definition into Constitutional law.
You may not know about this. Lots of people seem to think that Pence appeared out of nowhere when Trump brought him on board. But I do know him, and I have for years.
Tom

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Yes. Any two consenting adults should have the right to sign a contract - civil marriage. And this is one of the few areas where I think ministers etc have the right to say that they will or will not perform a religious ceremony.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Has this ever happened?

But I do know of many times that religionists have tried to force the rest of us to change the definition of marriage to suit their religion.
Take my home state of Indiana as an example. Mike Pence spent many years and dollars trying to change our Constitution to match his religion. This is the same Mike Pence that Trump chose as Vice President.

Nobody ever tried to force any church to recognize all marriages. They don't even have to recognize interracial marriages, if that's how they interpret Scripture. But Trump's VP tried for years to change the definition of marriage from a legal union to a religious union, and put that definition into Constitutional law.
You may not know about this. Lots of people seem to think that Pence appeared out of nowhere when Trump brought him on board. But I do know him, and I have for years.
Tom

I believe you, since there are some things one can only know by living in certain states and experiencing first hand.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Has this ever happened?

Tom
That's an excellent point. Those who I call "Taliban Christians" attempt to change secular society to fit their religious views.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
No problem.

I attended one of the very first same sex weddings in the UK within a week of legalization.

julianalexander745

On a side note, however: it should be understood that marriage is not much more than an outdated and absolutely terrible contract that no one in their right mind would ever sign if it weren't for the pressures of societal expectations.

Marriage should be avoided, discouraged and ridiculed.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Gays don't need to get married, they should have to submit a form stating the reasons why they should be allowed to get married to a responsible office that will decide whether or not it is a good enough reason.