• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Religious leaders be involved in any form of public school employment

Status
Not open for further replies.

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!
So, what you're saying is that if someone is a clergy, that they will preach no matter where they are. I don't believe that for one second. There is always a chance that certain preachers would, but most people can tell one job from another. Just because has a second job as a preacher, that doesn't mean that he or she will preach during the classroom time.

And if, hypothetically, said clergy does indeed completely seperate their religious endevours from their teaching career, and a student approachs said clergy for spiritual advice, a conflict of interest arises.

Draka

Wonder Woman
And if, hypothetically, said clergy does indeed completely seperate their religious endevours from their teaching career, and a student approachs said clergy for spiritual advice, a conflict of interest arises.

How so? If the student knows the teacher away from school and knows they are clergy and specifically goes to said clergy for the reason of spiritual advice then how is that a conflict of interest? It's not as if the teacher is setting up a confession booth in their classroom for crying out loud. If the student doesn't know that the teacher is clergy then why would they randomly choose said teacher to go to for spiritual advice in the first place? AND even if they did, then I still don't know what would be the issue. If a Catholic student came to me for general advice in other matters of life then I would be happy to help if I could, but if the advice they were seeking was of a spiritual nature then I would have to send them to their own priest. Unless they are wanting specifically my point of view from my specific religious standpoint then why would I counsel them? And in any of those cases such conversations would have to take place outside of school time and property and with parental permission if possible.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Whether a conflict arises would entirely depend on the requirements of the teacher's religion, wouldn't it?

Edit: I would say that the potential for conflict of interest would be much less than if one of the teacher's own children attended the school, which is something that happens occasionally.

spursrule68

I dont think so as they would give a biased point of view

however, they would be well educated

and give a perspective

Last edited by a moderator:

Draka

Wonder Woman
if these two people could be half as apologetic as you are I'd be greatful .

The two who are stereotyping and discriminating against all members of clergy simply because they have personal issues with one particular religion? If that's the case I agree wholeheartedly. Got your running shoes on? Because I know you can't possibly be talking about me and 9/10ths as we have nothing to apologize for and have been the ones on the side of fairness and equality and law.

The two who are stereotyping and discriminating against all members of clergy simply because they have personal issues with one particular religion? If that's the case I agree wholeheartedly. Got your running shoes on? Because I know you can't possibly be talking about me and 9/10ths as we have nothing to apologize for and have been the ones on the side of fairness and equality and law.

the two in my original post .

Violent K

NO They definally shouldnt
this causes religiouse segregation and prejuduce
and if religion has too much power it gets corruped
im from irelad so de scandel about the priests being pedofilles was huge over here
and any school that teaches creationism shoul be shut down because
ITS WRONG!!!!! evolution is a FACT!!!

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!

A Buddhist clergyman isn't likely to prostilize.

A Wiccan clergyman isn't, well is less, likely to prostylize.

An Abrahamic clergyman is certainly likely to prostylize.

Howevr, this coutnry was founded upon principles of Religious Equality, so there is no argument to justify providing the first two with any treatment other than that the latter recieves.

IOW, double standards cannot apply.

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!
NO They definally shouldnt
this causes religiouse segregation and prejuduce
and if religion has too much power it gets corruped
im from irelad so de scandel about the priests being pedofilles was huge over here
and any school that teaches creationism shoul be shut down because
ITS WRONG!!!!! evolution is a FACT!!!

ANY school?

Parochial schools are supported by those who are within that religion, and are not supposed to recieve public funds in support of said institution.

Here in the US, our Constitution preserves their right to teach Creationism in favor of Evolution. Doesn't make it right, but as long as a parochial is not directly receiving public funds, religious freedom trumps science.

Draka

Wonder Woman
A Buddhist clergyman isn't likely to prostilize.

A Wiccan clergyman isn't, well is less, likely to prostylize.

An Abrahamic clergyman is certainly likely to prostylize.

Howevr, this coutnry was founded upon principles of Religious Equality, so there is no argument to justify providing the first two with any treatment other than that the latter recieves.

IOW, double standards cannot apply.

And vice versa, since Abrahamic clergy are legally able to act as teachers in public schools then so can all other clergy. Also, as long as there is no reason to deny other clergy the ability to teach in public schools then one cannot discriminate against Abrahamic clergy acting in the same regard. Religious equality and all. ;)

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!
And vice versa, since Abrahamic clergy are legally able to act as teachers in public schools then so can all other clergy. Also, as long as there is no reason to deny other clergy the ability to teach in public schools then one cannot discriminate against Abrahamic clergy acting in the same regard. Religious equality and all. ;)

We are not speaking of current laws, we are presenting our opinions.

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!
Which many many people can be grateful your opinions are not actuality when it comes to law then.

They same could be said for people who don't, apperently, support secularism in government and government institutions.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
They same could be said for people who don't, apperently, support secularism in government and government institutions.
Strawman. We all support secularism. We just don't all support unjustifiable discrimination.

Status
Not open for further replies.