• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Religious leaders be involved in any form of public school employment

Status
Not open for further replies.
it doesn' matter what your actions are , they reflect on you as a person inotherwards as a teacher or ordained religious leader one reflects on the other if you are both , you can't hide from that or avoid it its just not possible. It's just universal .

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Does this mean that if you are a dog trainer and that if you got a job at a school, you would treat all the children like dogs? ;)

Draka

Wonder Woman
Does this mean that if you are a dog trainer and that if you got a job at a school, you would treat all the children like dogs? ;)

Who knows what the real point is from these guys? Maybe, since I got ordained to be able to perform legal weddings and other rites, they think I will be marrying off the children in pairs? :confused:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
it doesn' matter what your actions are , they reflect on you as a person inotherwards as a teacher or ordained religious leader one reflects on the other if you are both , you can't hide from that or avoid it its just not possible. It's just universal .

That means , by your statement, that dairy farmers would try to squeeze the nipples of females all over the place. That also means that if I worked at McDonalds, that all I would eat all day is fast food. If someone was a doctor, then he would try and examine his guests at a dinner party. :eek::rolleyes:
A person's job doesn't define the whole person.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That means , by your statement, that dairy farmers would try to squeeze the nipples of females all over the place. That also means that if I worked at McDonalds, that all I would eat all day is fast food. If someone was a doctor, then he would try and examine his guests at a dinner party. :eek::rolleyes:
Good thing, because otherwise I'd have to crush children into little pieces, mix them with tar, and pave roads with them. :eek:

Compared to that, a bit of proselytizing is a walk in the park. :D

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!
Who knows what the real point is from these guys? Maybe, since I got ordained to be able to perform legal weddings and other rites, they think I will be marrying off the children in pairs? :confused:

We non-Abrahamics fought for decades to be considered religions so that our clergy would be recognized as such.

However, with that recognition our clergy also come under the auspices of the First Amendment and the Establishment Clause.

There should be NO double standard.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
We non-Abrahamics fought for decades to be considered religions so that our clergy would be recognized as such.

However, with that recognition our clergy also come under the auspices of the First Amendment and the Establishment Clause.

Where in the Establishment Clause does it say clergy can't have another job?

Draka

Wonder Woman

I don't get it. Where in either of those does it say that a member of clergy can't teach math? Oh, that's right, they don't. Oh, and there isn't a double standard. There's nothing restricting a religion's clergy from teaching in a public school. As long as they aren't teaching their religion there isn't a problem. Why do you have such a problem understanding that? Honestly? If your goal is to remove proselytizers from school you'll be hard pressed to find the right criteria. People from any religion and walk of life can proselytize. Not just clergy. Shoot man, one of my literature instructors, who WAS NOT clergy, put a Christianized spin on his classes. Now, why do you feel he has a legal right to work in a public school and I don't when I don't proselytize? Why can an atheist (non-ordained) work in a school and make comments about "there is no god", but I can't teach 4th grade English? Honestly, you have NO argument. NO leg to stand on. So why don't you just drop it?

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!
I don't get it. Where in either of those does it say that a member of clergy can't teach math? Oh, that's right, they don't. Oh, and there isn't a double standard. There's nothing restricting a religion's clergy from teaching in a public school. As long as they aren't teaching their religion there isn't a problem. Why do you have such a problem understanding that? Honestly? If your goal is to remove proselytizers from school you'll be hard pressed to find the right criteria. People from any religion and walk of life can proselytize. Not just clergy. Shoot man, one of my literature instructors, who WAS NOT clergy, put a Christianized spin on his classes. Now, why do you feel he has a legal right to work in a public school and I don't when I don't proselytize? Why can an atheist (non-ordained) work in a school and make comments about "there is no god", but I can't teach 4th grade English? Honestly, you have NO argument. NO leg to stand on. So why don't you just drop it?

Look, it's quite simple.

Never in my long experience dealing with Abrahamic clergy has there been one who would not prostylize in some form or another.

It's their primary function, their number one job, their holy calling.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
No where, but it does certainly seperate religion from state, and public schools are a government institution.
Which is why religious teachers aren't allowed to proselytize. Clergy can obey the law as easily as laypeople can break it.

You have yet to offer any justification for your stance. (No, stereotypes are not justification.)

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!
Which is why religious teachers aren't allowed to proselytize. Clergy can obey the law as easily as laypeople can break it.

You have yet to offer any justification for your stance. (No, stereotypes are not justification.)

I offered my opinion.

Take it or leave it.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Look, it's quite simple.

Never in my long experience dealing with Abrahamic clergy has there been one who would not prostylize in some form or another.

So I'm right. This is all about you wanting to punish people of one particular religion because you have a branch up your rear about them and to hell with anyone else you might be stepping on in the process. As long as you get to stick it to one certain group of people then you could care less about all the rest that are affected by your bigotry. Well, at least we know how you stand and your mindset.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
The problem is this: In large churches, a clergyman could probably work in a church and do nothing else. But in smaller churches, they don't pay enough for the clergy to live. They have to take another job or starve- and their wives and children right along with them.
And a lot of people work at more than one job. Some people have to have more than 2 or even 3 to survive.

footprints

Look, it's quite simple.

Hi Axis, your honesty and openess is quite refreshing. It certainly beats the hell out of the deceit promoted by others which Draka speaks about in post 88 as they proselytise their beliefs under the guise of education.

Human nature dictates that nobody could ever teach a subject without the influence of their own beliefs entering the picture somewhere. To be open and honest about it as you have done here, speaks highly of your integrity as a person.

Actually thats where this argument lays the truth is OH YES IT DOES because anyone who is a teacher or religious leader is there because they want to be or at least they better be otherwise the failure will be extemely consequencial and damaging if they don't . In my opinion teachers shouldn't preach .

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Actually thats where this argument lays the truth is OH YES IT DOES because anyone who is a teacher or religious leader is there because they want to be or at least they better be otherwise the failure will be extemely consequencial and damaging if they don't . In my opinion teachers shouldn't preach .

So, what you're saying is that if someone is a clergy, that they will preach no matter where they are. I don't believe that for one second. There is always a chance that certain preachers would, but most people can tell one job from another. Just because has a second job as a preacher, that doesn't mean that he or she will preach during the classroom time.

Status
Not open for further replies.