• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should protestors break the law for their own cause?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
orichalcum said:
If need be, should they?
If so, how far is too far?
Peaceful demonstration is the only way; onece violence gets in on the act, the protesters lose all crdibility. The one I have in mind at the moment are the Animal liberation people, whose cause is largely right. The trouble is that when they start hurting people to save animals, they lose my support.:)

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
michel said:
The one I have in mind at the moment are the Animal liberation people, whose cause is largely right.
The more difficult example was the counter-protests when the Nazis marched into the predominantly Jewish Skokie, IL. At what point does protest become resistence?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Are you talking about "civil disobedience"? Yes, I think that's sometimes necessary.

However, I think that protestors should make every effort not to destory property, vandalize or put anyone in harm's way. Doing things like that only hurt the cause.

alowyn

It really depends on the situation... there's a difference between fighting in a democracy for animal rights and fighting for your rights in a dictatorship... the latter in which you're probably breaking the law by just protesting.

Overall, i really don't think it makes much of a difference. The Israeli settlers, for example, can perform as much civil disobedience as they want, the majority of the country still decides.
I agree with Maize, it is sometimes necessary. But if they were to commit violent crimes, they'd probably alienate themselves from the majority, as we see in today's terrorists.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Maize said:
...However, I think that protestors should make every effort not to destory property, vandalize or put anyone in harm's way. Doing things like that only hurt the cause.
Well stated and I concur!

When we talk about breaking the law, there are difference in the laws and the methods of breaking them that. If I may offer 2 examples in addition to Michel's mentioning the animal rights extremists.

It is quite obvious that anti-abortion extremists who kill doctors who perform abortion to protest the practice are breaking the law.

When Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on a Montgomery bus to a white man, she broke the law and was arrested. I realize she didn't do it to make a point other than she was tired and wanted to sit down, but the attention she drew for this 'non-violent' protest contributed a great deal to repealing discrimminatory laws.:)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
CaptainXeroid said:
Well stated and I concur!

When we talk about breaking the law, there are difference in the laws and the methods of breaking them that. If I may offer 2 examples in addition to Michel's mentioning the animal rights extremists.

It is quite obvious that anti-abortion extremists who kill doctors who perform abortion to protest the practice are breaking the law.

When Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on a Montgomery bus to a white man, she broke the law and was arrested. I realize she didn't do it to make a point other than she was tired and wanted to sit down, but the attention she drew for this 'non-violent' protest contributed a great deal to repealing discrimminatory laws.:)
Yes, that is all true; I suppose I was far too limited in my interpretation of the question; another example that comes to mind is 'Green Peace' - they have crossed the lines a few times.....:)

Melody

Call me a bad mother, but I taught (and still teach my youngest) that just because it's a law, it doesn't make it right...but if you choose to break that law in protest, be prepared to possibly suffer the consequences. Every cause has its martyrs.

During the civil rights era, protestors broke the law when they refused to sit in the back of the bus and when they sat down at all white lunch counters.

There is a difference, however, in breaking the law in protest and doing a criminal act. For example, I was watching the news last night and they were showing clips of the barricaded Israelis pouring colored paint and water over the sides onto the police. Somewhat harmless, although pushing the envelope since it might cause physical harm if the police happen to get it in their eyes. They did, however, cross the line when the police started tearing off their clothes and their fellow officers had to pour water over them because apparently there was acid (according to the report) in with the paint and water.

True protestors know that violence begets violence and will also turn public opinion against you and, in the long run, harming your cause.

huajiro

orichalcum said:
If need be, should they?
If so, how far is too far?
I have no problem with breaking the law, if it goes against my beliefs. It is my personal law that you should not affect anyone else in a negative manner, period. I normally don't have any problems with this....unless someone else is affecting me and my loved ones.

As far as protesting goes....I don't see how you could run into a problem as long as it is peaceful protest, otherwise it is a mob. As long as you don't trespass on someones property, no one can tell you anything.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Melody said:
During the civil rights era, protestors broke the law when they refused to sit in the back of the bus and when they sat down at all white lunch counters.
Were they violating actual laws, or just violating traditions?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
retrorich said:
Were they violating actual laws, or just violating traditions?
Trust me, we were breaking the law. Sitting in the entrance way of a restaurant that refuses to hire minorities is trespassing, disturbing the peace, unlawfull assembly, and a violation of a fire ordinance.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Should they? I don't think it's required, but if the rules are stacked in favour of some and against others then I say break them.

In China protesters are breaking the law immediately by protestsing. Should they break the law? Yes.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
As long as they do it passively yes.

If, however, the law is physically harmful to them, break it actively, if you can.

emetib47

it depends. sometimes the only thing that protectors can do is to fight the person that they are after and maybe kill them if worse case comes to worse. aren't there people on the interpol most wanted list that are shoot to kill? i don't know. but sometimes protectors go overboard and harm people when it's no necessary. it all depends on what the situation is but if they are beating up some five year old for chewing gum and spiting it on the side walk well that might be over the top now. buit for the really bad is anything really over the top to get these people off the streets?

YamiB.

I think that if there is an unjust law it is nessecary to break it and possibly some other ones. It should be peaceful though. In some extreme cases violence may be acceptable but what I'm thinking of would be more of a rebellion than protest.