• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should prisoners be allowed to lift weights

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I don't understand why prisoners would have access to barbells and dumbbells.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed to exercise, of course. It blows off steam, it's very healthy and keeps them in shape, but couldn't the same be done for running, walking, push-ups, and the sort?

Correct me if I'm wrong, weights can make one buff real quick when you don't have much else to do as a prisoner. It doesn't just keep them fit, but it makes them physically powerful. Not all prisoners are dangerous, but clearly some are. Not only to other inmates and perhaps guards, but some of these criminals will be released down the line and by then they would become more able to hurt someone if they wish.

True, the same can be said about non-criminal bodybuilders, but you have to consider what years of prison can do to a person's mind, a mind that had snapped at one point to end them up where they are (reminder: this is specifically about aggressive ex-cons that were in for violence, not ex-cons in general)

To remove weightlifting would slow the process of threatening criminals (mentally speaking) to become more threatening. (physically speaking)

Papoon

Weights are just a preference, not a necessity, for resistance training.

No equipment whatsoever is necessary to build huge muscles. Bodyweight compound exercises, isometrics and plyometrics are all you need, apart from lots of food.

Papoon

Or... we could just rehabilitate them.
But that would decimate the Outlaw Industry
Thousands of out_of_work social workers, cops, parole officers, judges etc etc

How many workers does each convict support ? It's a lot of money...

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Correct me if I'm wrong, weights can make one buff real quick when you don't have much else to do as a prisoner.
You have to put in hours a day to get big, as well as knowing how to work your muscles so they get big. It's likely they'll tone and firm up, but it's unlikely the will develop big muscles, especially with the carb-heavy diets jails/prisons are known for serving.
Thousands of out_of_work social workers, cops, parole officers, judges etc etc
I don't see any of them being out of work, social workers especially, who would likely gain in employment if we were to focus on rehabilitation, as would POs as they do tend to keep a close eye on people who are out on parole and house arrest. Cops would still have criminals to go catch, and judges would still be judging people and sentencing them to rehabilitation centers, psych centers, and even still jails and prisons.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member

I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed to exercise, of course. It blows off steam, it's very healthy and keeps them in shape, but couldn't the same be done for running, walking, push-ups, and the sort?

Correct me if I'm wrong, weights can make one buff real quick when you don't have much else to do as a prisoner. It doesn't just keep them fit, but it makes them physically powerful. Not all prisoners are dangerous, but clearly some are. Not only to other inmates and perhaps guards, but some of these criminals will be released down the line and by then they would become more able to hurt someone if they wish.

True, the same can be said about non-criminal bodybuilders, but you have to consider what years of prison can do to a person's mind, a mind that had snapped at one point to end them up where they are (reminder: this is specifically about aggressive ex-cons that were in for violence, not ex-cons in general)

To remove weightlifting would slow the process of threatening criminals (mentally speaking) to become more threatening. (physically speaking)
Do you know what boredom does to a person?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
The way prisons are, with so many violent people, they would need to be fit in case they were picked on, its either you or them.

Papoon

Burn the heretic!
Indeed. Before LSD was illegal, and while he was still the highly respected Dean of Psychology at Harvard, Timothy Leary did an extraordinary experiment in rehab of prisoners. It was Gordonville Prison (I think) in Canada. There was a recidivism rate of 75% in two years. After his program, which involved 500 ug doses ( huge ! )of LSD in a very supportive environment every week (maybe two, I no longer have the book) for some months, the recidivism rate for his group was ZERO after FIVE years. And 60% of his subjects had started their own small business. So there you go....

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Indeed. Before LSD was illegal, and while he was still the highly respected Dean of Psychology at Harvard, Timothy Leary did an extraordinary experiment in rehab of prisoners. It was Gordonville Prison (I think) in Canada. There was a recidivism rate of 75% in two years. After his program, which involved 500 ug doses ( huge ! )of LSD in a very supportive environment every week (maybe two, I no longer have the book) for some months, the recidivism rate for his group was ZERO after FIVE years. And 60% of his subjects had started their own small business. So there you go....
It's such a shame there are so many double standards, misinformation, and blatant lies about drugs. There are so many medical benefits to gain from so many of them, yet our hypocrisy is no clearer than in those who look down on meth and sneer those who use it all the while shoveling ADD/ADHD meds into their children, which for the most part are basically nothing more than lab-manufactured meth.

Papoon

It's such a shame there are so many double standards, misinformation, and blatant lies about drugs. There are so many medical benefits to gain from so many of them, yet our hypocrisy is no clearer than in those who look down on meth and sneer those who use it all the while shoveling ADD/ADHD meds into their children, which for the most part are basically nothing more than lab-manufactured meth.
I am 60, but most people don't believe I'm older than 45. I am very fit, with a super sharp memory. I have used more drugs than anyone I know - but I am very discriminating, educated and disciplined about it, and practiced trance induction techniques from age 15 - a few years before my first trip. Drugs have been a hugely positive influence in my life - but only because of education and discipline. Nowadays I only use amphetamine prescribed for ADD - which has been incredibly helpful to me. However, when I was younger, using the same drug would have had me classified as a junkie.
BTW - generally ADD is treated with amphetamine, not methamphetamine, although sometimes (rarely) methamphetamine is prescribed. But in sane doses - 5mg pills, not half a f%&ing gram ! which will make anyone crazy very quickly.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Weights are symbolic of American prison life. Just paint them pink.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Easier said than done.
We could make the effort.

Ever seen Norway's prison system? Short of pieces of human garbage like Brevik(Mother****er should've been Quisling'd, the death penalty brought back just for him). It's pretty good! I mean, nothing is perfect, but when your standard is the United States just about anywhere is better. Except maybe South Africa. **** them.

Sultan Of Swing

Ever seen Norway's prison system? Short of pieces of human garbage like Brevik(Mother****er should've been Quisling'd, the death penalty brought back just for him). It's pretty good! I mean, nothing is perfect, but when your standard is the United States just about anywhere is better. Except maybe South Africa. **** them.
Well one thing at least is I don't really know why companies should have criminal records when someone is released from prison, they've served their time. Only exception would be working with children and a crime that would harm them, and perhaps other heinous crimes.

Otherwise, releasing people, and then giving them this record which prevents them from ever finding a decent job, is just asking for trouble and re-offence.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Well one thing at least is I don't really know why companies should have criminal records when someone is released from prison, they've served their time. Only exception would be working with children and a crime that would harm them, and perhaps other heinous crimes.

Otherwise, releasing people, and then giving them this record which prevents them from ever finding a decent job, is just asking for trouble and re-offence.
I agree with you. There's not much reason to continue punishing someone. You're asking them to just commit crime again, because you're taking away all their legitimate options.

Thanda

**** you too!

McBell

Resident Sourpuss

You do not offer up a proposed replacement option?
Why not?