• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should pastors get paid?

Ellen Brown

I agree, folk should study and know scripture themselves. I wouldn't call someone that wants a Pastor lazy though.

Sorry, I am deeply distrustful of anyone in authority. You would have to have been there. God says I have to forgive, but I do not have to allow abuse over and over.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Sorry, I am deeply distrustful of anyone in authority. You would have to have been there. God says I have to forgive, but I do not have to allow abuse over and over.

That's why God is the authority and not the Pastor/Preacher/Priest/Nun/Pope. People forget that.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
And when clergy abuse the authority given to them by God, we should absolutely call them out on it and defrock them.

Ellen Brown

And when clergy abuse the authority given to them by God, we should absolutely call them out on it and defrock them.

In many cases, one can not get a voice to "Call Them Out", so you have to leave the organization to show your displeasure. Along with that comes accusations from the membership and leadership that one has backslidden, or is 'No Longer "Worthy" '. In one organization, there are 'Love Conferences' where the disenter is badgered and threatened and threatened with disfellowship, or "Excommunication". In my case, I resigned to ROB them of the satisfaction of "Lovingly administering discipline". That was greatly satisfying. As I write this, the remembrance is causing me to be more angry. The organization is a very good example of Brainwashing, and other programming techniques.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
As I see it, these things are determined by the social norms of the culture more broadly, rather than that of the religions per se. The typical model of Western nations is that people are paid for their services. Serving as clergy in a professional capacity is of course a service, and as such, should be monetarily compensated.
There's also a long history in Christianity of explicitly not paying for religious "services:" Simony - Wikipedia

Catholicism considers simony a sin. It was also a major issue in the Protestant Reformation, so many Protestant denominations have a long tradition against the practice as well.

It can make for weird arrangements involving churches and money. I remember arranging my first wedding (in a Catholic church) - the priest was very careful to clarify that the mandatory fees were just for the organist and decorations, and the "suggested donation" for the wedding ceremony itself was voluntary and that they were definitely not charging money to perform a sacrament.

... though he also made it clear that most people pay the suggested donation.