• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should one ask for world peace in prayer?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Another thread reminded me of a question I've always had regarding prayer and asking for things from God.

Is there something strange about asking for "world peace" ? Isn't it kind of like telling God what to do? Is it criticism? Or just plain dumb? It's never going to happen!
I certainly do think one should ask God for world peace during one's prayers

it is something very much within his power to bring about

I believe the majority of humans want world peace and that God does too ("blessed are the peacemakers")

It's not like praying to Jesus Christ and asking him to pay off your overdraft (true story, a guy I used to know...)

It's about the survival of humankind

I personally believe that if it wasn't for God then we'd have had a nuclear war long ago

All he needs to do to avert nuclear war is to exercise a bit of direct mind control on a small number of elites and military personel - well within his capacities I should think!

susanblange

I certainly do think one should ask God for world peace during one's prayers

it is something very much within his power to bring about

I believe the majority of humans want world peace and that God does too ("blessed are the peacemakers")

It's not like praying to Jesus Christ and asking him to pay off your overdraft (true story, a guy I used to know...)

It's about the survival of humankind

I personally believe that if it wasn't for God then we'd have had a nuclear war long ago

All he needs to do to avert nuclear war is to exercise a bit of direct mind control on a small number of elites and military personel - well within his capacities I should think!
God appeared in the beginning of 1984 and ended the Cold War. If God had not done this, there would've been global nuclear warfare.

Road Less Traveled

Another thread reminded me of a question I've always had regarding prayer and asking for things from God.

Is there something strange about asking for "world peace" ? Isn't it kind of like telling God what to do? Is it criticism? Or just plain dumb? It's never going to happen!

Every person has their own world/worldview in them... the sooner that is made genuinely peaceful, the sooner the collective world would be shared in peace.

Which I’d agree, that that’s never going to happen.

leov

Would not hurt.

74x12

No, you're not telling God what to do. You're asking. That's the root meaning of "prayer" to petition or request. So if people are praying correctly then they are asking not telling. Just like in the old days people would humbly request something from a monarch.

Yes, you can ask God for world peace. Nothing wrong with that prayer. God is not waiting to condemn people who pray "wrong" things. As long as it's not a selfish or mean spirited prayer.

That doesn't mean it will happen though. I don't think so. However, that doesn't mean your prayer for world peace would be totally in vain. But, if enough people around the world altogether prayed for world peace then it might be granted I think. Even then it might not last forever because eventually everything predicted in Revelation has to happen and as Jesus said there will be "wars and rumors of wars" ...

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

What strange about asking God to fulfill His will? And it will happen, it's just a matter of when.

1 Thessalonians 5:3

3 For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.

Personally, I'm ready. :)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
How is any of that praying for peace?
I answered that below - that when people wholeheartedly desire peace, peace will come. So if your prayer is offering yourself for transformation, then you are taking a step toward peace not by asking for a miracle but by doing the slow, hard work of becoming someone who is working to live in peace.

susanblange

Where did he appear?

And to who?

I haven't heard of that before
God's picture was published in the local newspaper and she was publicly humiliated. Adam took and sold the photographs for $7.50 in quarters, 30 pieces of silver which were subsequently cast on the steps at Bethel Temple. Then Adam and 2 of his fraternity brothers, Matthew and Luke, committed suicide by hanging. They were from ATO at ODU. "Alpha Tau Omega". That was 35 years ago and it was mainly Zechariah 11. Psalm 31:12. "I am forgotten as a dead man out of mind..."

MJ Bailey

Just a bit of questioning of why if there is to be a day of rest for what they pertain to be "God's day of rest" when people believe it belongs to them? To me that is like saying, yeah I believe in you, but I am better and deserve the rest as well; therefore hold equiveillance??????

danieldemol

Premium Member

It might be strange to those who are bloodthirsty, that being said.
1. Prayer is not telling, it’s asking
2. Prayer is not criticism, and God shouldn’t be so petty as to take it as such
3. You won’t think it is dumb if a bomb falls on your head
4. You limit the Omnipotence of God to say it will never happen, such things are easily achievable by God.

InChrist

Free4ever
I think praying as Jesus instructed, "Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven" is a prayer for the peace of heaven to reign on earth. Also, looking and praying for the return of Jesus Christ, the Prince of Peace, to reign on the earth as foretold is a prayer aligned with God's will and a prayer for peace.

Samana Johann

Restricted by request
May there be peace at RF and

• play-glyph.png
    Sublime Attitudes

Ahaṃ sukhito homi

May I be happy.

Niddukkho homi

May I be free from stress & pain.

Avero homi

May I be free from animosity.

Abyāpajjho homi

May I be free from oppression.

Anīgho homi

May I be free from trouble.

Sukhī attānaṃ pariharāmi

May I look after myself with ease.

(METTĀ — GOOD WILL)

Sabbe sattā sukhitā hontu.

May all living beings be happy.

Sabbe sattā averā hontu.

May all living beings be free from animosity.

Sabbe sattā abyāpajjhā hontu.

May all living beings be free from oppression.

Sabbe sattā anīghā hontu.

May all living beings be free from trouble.

Sabbe sattā sukhī attānaṃ pariharantu.

May all living beings look after themselves with ease.

(KARUṆĀ — COMPASSION)

Sabbe sattā sabba-dukkhā pamuccantu.

May all living beings be freed from all stress & pain.

(MUDITĀ — APPRECIATION)

Sabbe sattā laddha-sampattito mā vigacchantu.

May all living beings not be deprived of the good fortune they have attained.

(UPEKKHĀ — EQUANIMITY)

Sabbe sattā kammassakā kamma-dāyādā kamma-yonī kamma-bandhū kamma-paṭisaraṇā.

All living beings are the owners of their actions, heir to their actions, born of their actions, related through their actions, and live dependent on their actions.

Yaṃ kammaṃ karissanti kalyāṇaṃ vā pāpakaṃ vā tassa dāyādā bhavissanti.

Whatever they do, for good or for evil, to that will they fall heir.

Sabbe sattā sadā hontu
Averā sukha-jīvino.

May all beings live happily,
always free from animosity.

Kataṃ puñña-phalaṃ mayhaṃ
Sabbe bhāgī bhavantu te.

May all share in the blessings
springing from the good I have done.

Hotu sabbaṃ sumaṅgalaṃ

May there be every good blessing.

Rakkhantu sabba-devatā

May the devas protect you.

Sabba-buddhānubhāvena

Through the power of all the Buddhas,

Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ

May you forever be well.

Hotu sabbaṃ sumaṅgalaṃ

Rakkhantu sabba-devatā

Sabba-dhammānubhāvena

Through the power of all the Dhamma,

Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ

May you forever be well.

Hotu sabbaṃ sumaṅgalaṃ

Rakkhantu sabba-devatā

Sabba-saṅghānubhāvena

Through the power of all the Sangha,

Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ

May you forever be well.

I don’t think it is dumb. But, many people don’t seem to want world peace for all. But all people can have this peace:

Peace I leave with you. My peace I give to you; not as the world gives, give I to you. Don't let your heart be troubled, neither let it be fearful.
John 14:27

Wasp

It might be strange to those who are bloodthirsty, that being said.
1. Prayer is not telling, it’s asking
2. Prayer is not criticism, and God shouldn’t be so petty as to take it as such
3. You won’t think it is dumb if a bomb falls on your head
4. You limit the Omnipotence of God to say it will never happen, such things are easily achievable by God.
1.thin line
2.it can be taken as such. In fact, psychologically, it can indeed be and often is.
3.that might be my very last thought.
4.In Islam it is not predicted to ever happen. On the contrary. So not my God, but I trust His word.

susanblange

Matthew 10:34. Jesus says: "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword". Jesus is not the "Prince of Peace". Isaiah 9:6. Jesus is not the Messiah.

nPeace

Veteran Member

"Let your kingdom come. Let your will be done on earth, as it is in heaven."
Prayer for world peace. :D

I know what you mean though. People, including world religions, get together and pray for world peace, but they are not praying for God's will, nor in harmony with God's will.
Their vain prayers are for the warmongering nations under Satan's control, to unite... An obvious futile request.