• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Metaphysics be taught in public school as part of the scientific method i.e. should MP be tau

Science has been very wrong in the past, does it now describe reality as it 'really' is?

• Total voters

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Metaphysics is taught in public schools already, albeit implicitly. It informs many subjects, including language arts, mathematics, geometry, health, computer lab, and, of course, science. It's not taught as a subject, but wherever a subject touches upon ontology (what is) and epistemology (how we know things are), it has touched upon metaphysics.

MonkeyFire

Nirvana creates itself to experience itself.
Faith in life creates hope.
If science creates knowledge, faith defends itself with truth.
Pacifism: morality is the key, emotion is the gem, and equanimity is the safe.
That's what I know about things.

MrMrdevincamus

Voice Of The Martyrs Supporter
First, regarding your poll question; Science isn’t wrong. Science doesn’t do anything, it is just a way we can do things. If we follow scientific process correctly, we can’t get a wrong answer in the context of the available evidence meaning sometimes (often!), the right answer in context is “we don’t know”. We can get the wrong answer if we make mistakes in our implementation of science and we can get the wrong answer if we’re not aware of all of the relevant evidence but that can hardly be blamed on science. If you’re on a road trip and you get lost, run out of fuel or crash, would you call that “Driving” getting it wrong? :cool:

Science can indeed be wrong. Theory by its very nature has to be wrong to be right.But all that is not important, truth does not exist in a world/reality described by empirical means. Truth does exist in world described by religious metaphysical methods. In a world described by conventional empirical science truth is absent because quantum uncertainty and other reasons, most related to time and causality.I n a world/reality by empirical and metaphysical methods truly does exist because absolutes exist.

No, literally nobody believes that, even if they don’t realise it. Pretty much every piece of “evidence” we make use of in our day-to-day lives isn’t formally measured or vetted so obviously that doesn’t render the evidence meaningless. That said, different kinds of evidence can have different value, different levels of trustworthiness, relevance or importance and that is where formal vetting, either in person or by a trusted proxy, can be a key factor.

Well, you are referencing every day life. We are getting our word usage mixed up. That's why I used the con man analogy , the con man being science. We are saying the same thing but with different meaning. When I made the meaningless statement I was referencing it as used in verification. One of the first things I learned in philosophy of science 101 was if it cannot be verified, it remains a hypothesis, and never reaches the level of theory. Most scientists believe an idea presented without empirical vetting has 'no meaning'. I am using the word 'meaning' as its used the verification process. Btw, are you familiar with '(the) verification theory of meaning'? The reason I was getting into all that was because I think there is a double standard in the secular scientific establishment.

That isn’t your previous statement in other words, it’s an entirely different one. The key here is how you’re using the word theory. A formal scientific theory requires formal scientific evidence to back it up (though “maybe” and “we don’t know” remain valid conclusions). An informal “theory”, just a general idea of how something actually is can be based on similarly informal evidence (though the same conclusion options remain and are probably more likely). I think you’re wrong but we could get in to some major Inception-style problems if I asked you for evidence. ;)

Yes, I remember my science, a theory is a hypothesis that has been tested and testing validates the hypothesis, a scientific theory is theory that has been successfully tested, its the highest form of theory (still its only the best guess possible).

I’d have no issue with that in principle as long as it was taught honestly and correctly and I’d see it more in the humanities/philosophy side rather than the scientific. There’s be all sorts of practical issues of course, determining what should be taught at what age, having sufficiently qualified teachers (even establishing what is sufficient qualification) plus the general issue of piling yet another teaching requirement on schools to the ever-growing list of expectations and requirements they’re somehow meant to fit in to the fixed classroom time.

Yes you do seem like a honest Joe! I agree, Its kind of like my take on ID. It can not be taught because there is no standard theory of ID. I mean none at all.

I’m not sure how you expect this to happen. I don’t agree that metaphysics is as excluded from the formal sciences as you imply and there is certainly nothing preventing it from being applied by anyone who would wish to do so. While there may well be questions it could help with, you’ve offered nothing to convince me of the sudden massive shift you’re imagining would happen.

Yes well I was being a little melodramatic ? Btw, I respect your opinion, and maybe I am a bit of a conspiracy theory type. When I first started noticing resistance to the big bang theory it was obvious to me theistic implications were a cause. To my way of thinking that was a huge thing. I mentioned it but not many of my peers agreed with me. Today that idea is getting a bit of traction (there are formal debates on the subject etc). The acceptance of metaphysics alone will not produce a "massive shift" I agree. That kind of thing, would require emerging evidence for the existence of an ID or something similar. Thanks HJ for your reply.

MrMrdevincamus

Willamena said:
Metaphysics is taught in public schools already, albeit implicitly. It informs many subjects, including language arts, mathematics, geometry, health, computer lab, and, of course, science. It's not taught as a subject, but wherever a subject touches upon ontology (what is) and epistemology (how we know things are), it has touched upon metaphysics.

Metaphysics is not easy to define because of its many meanings. That's why I should have defined how I was using the word. I used several different meanings of the word in this thread! One definition is Metaphysics in religion, 'God did it' is metaphysics, or the paranormal is metaphysics so is scientific Metaphysics as in the philosophy of science or Creation and ID theory.. there is more but that's enough ? (Bellow) cut and paste and hyperlink for more on the concept and definition of metaphysics....

The word ‘metaphysics’ is notoriously hard to define. Twentieth-century coinages like ‘meta-language’ and ‘metaphilosophy’ encourage the impression that metaphysics is a study that somehow “goes beyond” physics, a study devoted to matters that transcend the mundane concerns of Newton and Einstein and Heisenberg.This impression is mistaken.

more at.....Metaphysics (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

MrMrdevincamus

HONEST JOE; I just reread my reply to you and as expected it read only slightly better than (an extra long) 'word salad'....Ha. At the time of writing it I was zombiefied due to lack of sleep (4 days). No it wasn't a meth or coke binge, I wasn't getting to deep sleep from REM sleep. Not good! So my dream deprived brain wouldn't put what I was thinking into words. I have that problem anyway, but not to that extent. The fix was prescribed by the VA sleep lab. I was prescribed a BiPap sleeping mask. Its a positive pressure mask that pulls air out and shoves it back in at different pressures. Well, its now a paperweight.

Anyway if you do not understand parts or all of my reply no worries, neither do I :p. I am going to soundybte' and highly condense the worst of it. I may have mercy on you and the forum and not post it IF you all' are nice to me!

Anyway ...that's my story and you know the rest.....

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Or; The Alternative title; Is this a backdoor method of adding ID to the public school curriculum...

I began wondering about the nature of reality and the existence of God and related things when I was nine or ten years old. As a student in public school that's the age my* indoctrination to logical positivism began. In the west only logical positivism is allowed to be taught in public schools. Ok, on to the main topic. Does anyone believe that if a claim of evidence presented it's meaningless if not empirically vetted? In other words who would agree that we should only accept a theory that has been vetted by the scientific method*** ? And that all other evidence is worthless, evidence such as circumstantial or by methods of logic? If that is true you have a lot of company! With all due respect and I do mean that, that view is a dangerous, asinine thing. I am sorry to say a majority of western educated scientists believe exactly that. I could go on but I've probably lost 99% of my readers, and its time for you to have your say.

Lastly (almost, I do ramble on.....) allow me to say I believe we should revive Metaphysics and then teach it with with the currently taught empirical science. When both metaphysical and empirical methods have earned tenure in the school system I am sure science will increase its discovery by orders of magnitude! That's because today there are several areas of science such as cosmology and theories of origins (of the universe) where empirical science is failing to produce verifiable results. Our science is faced with events that are violating scientific laws that have have been place for over 500 years (such as the speed of light apparently being exceeded by deep space objects, and phenomenon such as galaxies receding from earth that are speeding up! There is something wrong toto we ain't in Kansas no mo' ..... and that my RF friends is a true statement.

(BELOW) AN ARTIST'S IDEA OF SPACE TIME FABRIC
Aristotle wrote a book called metaphysics that is very much in line with philosophy. I'm almost through it.

MrMrdevincamus

Aristotle wrote a book called metaphysics that is very much in line with philosophy. I'm almost through it.

Did you read the part where he defined mathematical objects as existing or no? Ie real or not? That kind of material is so hared to read. I love it but I would much rather read it written and or interpreted by a modern author.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Did you read the part where he defined mathematical objects as existing or no? Ie real or not? That kind of material is so hared to read. I love it but I would much rather read it written and or interpreted by a modern author.
Yeah I think he and Plato differed on that so I don't worry about it... on that point I just believe what I like. I don't think mathematical objects exist.