1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Men be Feminists?

Discussion in 'Political Debates' started by Sunstone, May 9, 2013.

1. Riverwolf

Riverwolf Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,285
    Religion:
    Anglo-Saxon(esque) Heathenry
    ...you know, I probably should of asked this straight away before. Might have saved us both headaches.

How come?

2. Sunstone

Sunstone De Diablo Del Fora
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +37,812
    Religion:
    Non-Theistic Mysticism
    Just checking, but you do recognize that it is not your right to impose on others the meanings they must have for words, don't you?

3. dust1n

dust1n Zindīq

Ratings:
    +4,740
    Religion:
    Post-Anarchism Austin, TX
  4. Me Myself

Me Myself Back to my username

Ratings:
    +964
    ?

According to oxford feminism should look for equality. That said, the ethymology suggests something different and the subconscious will always catch that.

5. Me Myself

Ratings:
    +964
    I have never said the present meaning of the world should be similar to its original meaning.

But sure, misrepresenting my position on this is practically tradition :p

6. Me Myself

Ratings:
    +964
    Because a word that is supposed to strive for gender equality but only includes one gender in it is inherently untrustworthy.

Having a oersonal identifier of seeking equality by the name of one gender is prone to make the person look for the wellbeing of said gender first and foremost and forgeting the gender outside the "equality" identifier.

Its not a conscious decision, it is an inherent subconscious focus. Sure, it sounds little and silly, but this things have way wider power than what we often realize.

Words having more power than we realize is one of the reasons I use "s/he". The language is andro centric. This is also a force that affects us without we realising it.

7. dust1n

dust1n Zindīq

Ratings:
    +4,740
    Religion:
    Post-Anarchism Austin, TX
    I speak nothing of your position or post, and only provide a resource. I won't be in this thread any longer, rest assured.

8. Me Myself

Ratings:
    +964
    Whats the tradition then?

9. Alceste

Alceste Vagabond

Ratings:
    +2,885
    Come on, you know how hard it is to look away from a disaster. I don't want to look, but I have to look.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Alceste

Alceste Vagabond

Ratings:
    +2,885
    It's forum tradition for you to perpetually criticize feminism based on a monumental misconception of what it actually is, which you will forever justify by arguing that since feminism has the root "fem", it is inherently sexist. Then you will reject all efforts to educate you on the subject and complain that you haven't got any time or money to read any feminist books. Nevertheless, you will mysteriously find time to spout long-winded, meandering falsehoods about feminist theory for the next seventy pages.

Let's just have a beer together instead. :D

11. idav

idav Being
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,302
    Religion:
    Pantheist
    It was more of an observation of what I see happening. Women aren't just becoming equal, they are starting to leave men in the dust.

So your saying feminism isn't "the worship of women". I've been doing this wrong some how.

12. Alceste

Alceste Vagabond

Ratings:
    +2,885
    Lol. Feminists argue should all respect each other as people, regardless of our dangly bits or lack thereof.

Worshiping women is a dangerous hobby. We're bound to disappoint you in the end. We are ordinary people, warts and all.

13. Meow Mix

Meow Mix Chatte Féministe

Ratings:
    +6,195
    Religion:
    Nontheist
    *sadly starts to dismantle Alceste shrine*

......*secretly rebuilds it in a hidden corner somewhere*

• Like Like x 1
  14. MysticSang'ha

MysticSang'ha Big Squishy Hugger
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,256
    Great video! Kudos to Jackson Katz!

15. Sunstone

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +37,812
    Religion:
    Non-Theistic Mysticism
    Yeah, I thought so, too. I especially agree with his take that violence against women is not merely a sensitivity issue but a leadership problem. The culture of rape and violence starts with a failure of people to assert that it's wrong.

16. Riverwolf

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,285
    Religion:
  17. Sunstone

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +37,812
    Religion:
    Non-Theistic Mysticism
    No worries. It seems like everyone has a favorite fallacy or two that they perpetrate.

18. Riverwolf

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,285
    Religion:
    I see.

I understand what you're saying, but I kind of disagree.

The reason is because in the vast majority of cases of gender inequality/bias, it's women who get the butt end. That's not to say men don't have their own gender biases to overcome (such as the notions that men can't be as good as women at teaching young children, or that women can't be rapists or violent), but they're not as numerous or severe.

19. Penumbra

Penumbra Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,440
    That's a good video. Yes, I think men should be feminists, should be in favor gender equality, and should in general take more of a leadership stance with their peers when it comes to sexist statements and attitudes.

20. Me Myself

Ratings:
    +964
    I can see that, but I think one should think on the future.

The re equality is accomplished the more the inequalities against men will be similar in number, and there are several areas in different places in which men get to ugly end.

But its not a competition. Its not about who gets screwed more often, its about getting sure no one gets screwed. Making a whoel philosophies name based on the current gender at problem is like giving up already on thinking there will be a ment in wch actuall equality is accomplished, and both genders are inequal need.

Its not about who is more screwed. Is about everyone taking care of everyone.

I think its really positive that there is help for women, but it really shouldnt be gender based. Its a bad presedent, and habits, both on people and in societies, stay beyond their original cause,