• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Men and Women be Segregated in Mosques?

Should men and women be segregated in Mosques?

• Total voters

Shad

Veteran Member
Ibelieve the person deciding this is judging another person's beliefs when there is no justification for such judgement.

Integration ie the ability to can be used as the basis. Just like fiances are used to deny immigration

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

Goodman John

(I was a Muslim for a number of years (I've been around a while) and during that time I was torn on this question- not from a religious perspective, but from a 'human' perspective. I will respond to this from my point of view 'back in the day'.)

On the one hand, I can see the desire to separate men and women as a good thing. People are people, and I know the last thing I needed during prayers was a shapely female derriere in my face providing a huge distraction from God. When prostrating, it's just an awfully strong temptation to 'take a look'. Human nature? Sure. Wrong place, wrong time? Definitely. Khadijah's badonkadonk- however sexy it may be- is not there for you to ogle while your thoughts should be 100% on God. (Besides, what if Khadijah is Omar's wife? Your eyes may be writing checks your body can't cash when Omar finds you in the parking lot later.)

On the other hand, we should be able to control our desire (and our wandering eyes) and mixing men and women together should not be a problem. That's the bottom line right there.

As a compromise, my solution would be to still place a divider down the center of the mosque floor between men and women and bring the women beside- and not behind- the men. This way, women assume their rightful place as the equals of men in worship and it allows them to see and hear the Imam. With the divider in place, it also allows both men and women a mechanism to deter distraction.

Shad

Veteran Member
I wouldn’t be so certain:

General linear models showed that mean age at menarche was strongly linked to the mean female life expectancy, suggesting that one or several variables responsible for inequalities in longevity similarly influenced the onset of menarche.

International variability of ages at menarche and menopause: patterns and main determinants. - PubMed - NCBI

Only suggests no evidence proving it. Yawn. Literacy or lack of does not cause puberty. This is pure babble. Also the ages are 13 not 9. Also it states ages changes due to longer not shorter life expectancy. You didn't read your source. It suggests the opposite of your claim is true. Try reading next time.

Last edited: