• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Jeffrey Dahmer have gone to prison?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I'm not sure Jeffrey Dahmer should have gone to prison to be abused. Some sources say he was raped, he was stabbed, and he was beaten to death. Having been to jail and correctional facilities, i know how they torment and torture such people, especially with chronic antagonism and hate, but also beatings and shankings.

I think the man was already tortured and troubled enough. IMO he probably should have been permanently committed to an insane asylum. Of course, if you don't struggle with the desires to kill people and keep their body parts in your refrigerator, or commit cannabilism, you would likely say "he got what he deserved".

But you don't struggle with that temptation, so you would never understand. If you were a person who is chronically tormented and haunted with desires to do that, you may have done the same thing. You and others on average don't have the desire to do that, so of course never would.

Jeffery Dahmer grew up as a very strange kid who was drawn to death, road kills, bones, and corpses of animals. His mom was also very mentally and emotionally sick while he was in her womb.

I feel he was a deeply troubled sick person that could never help himself. Neither could anyone with the exception of God treat or help such a person.

My personal opinion is that someone who is that nuts, should go to a state mental institution rather than prison. Do you disagree?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
But of course one advantage to him going to prison to get brutally killed is that it saves taxpayers dollars. I just think such tortured troubled souls should be comfortably put to sleep rather than having such a dreadful, scary, and miserable fate. I truly feel sorry for such sick disturbed people.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Having watched a lot of Court TV, and lived with a lot of mental cases behind bars,, I see that people who are out of their mind with serious felonies and insanity almost always go to prison. Not sure how the insanity plea works.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
They got the right guy. Look deeply into his eyes while he is talking. Case closed.

Shad

Veteran Member
My personal opinion is that someone who is that nuts, should go to a state mental institution rather than prison. Do you disagree?

No. He should have gone to a prison facility which is a mental institution not merely any institution open to the public.

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
They got the right guy. Look deeply into his eyes while he is talking. Case closed.
Interesting. I'd never even seen a picture of him before. Just listened to that interview with him. That's a mentally ill person. Keeping body parts because you wanted to keep them with you for as long as you can to feel complete control over them? Yikes. That's not normal, even in the most violent of criminal types.

If you are interested in this type of personality disorder, here is a great article on this that will give some chilling insights into this. When Your Child Is a Psychopath From the article about this an 11 year old girl in the story,

Starting at age 6, Samantha began drawing pictures of murder weapons: a knife, a bow and arrow, chemicals for poisoning, a plastic bag for suffocating. She tells me that she pretended to kill her stuffed animals.

“You were practicing on your stuffed animals?,” I ask her.

She nods.

“How did you feel when you were doing that to your stuffed animals?”

“Happy.”

“Why did it make you feel happy?”

“Because I thought that someday I was going to end up doing it on somebody.”

“Did you ever try?”

Silence.

“I choked my little brother.”​

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not sure Jeffrey Dahmer should have gone to prison to be abused. Some sources say he was raped, he was stabbed, and he was beaten to death. Having been to jail and correctional facilities, i know how they torment and torture such people, especially with chronic antagonism and hate, but also beatings and shankings.

I think the man was already tortured and troubled enough. IMO he probably should have been permanently committed to an insane asylum. Of course, if you don't struggle with the desires to kill people and keep their body parts in your refrigerator, or commit cannabilism, you would likely say "he got what he deserved".

But you don't struggle with that temptation, so you would never understand. If you were a person who is chronically tormented and haunted with desires to do that, you may have done the same thing. You and others on average don't have the desire to do that, so of course never would.

Jeffery Dahmer grew up as a very strange kid who was drawn to death, road kills, bones, and corpses of animals. His mom was also very mentally and emotionally sick while he was in her womb.

I feel he was a deeply troubled sick person that could never help himself. Neither could anyone with the exception of God treat or help such a person.

1) I don't wish emotional or physical torture on him.
2) I don't think he could have been 'cured' so am trying to justify in my mind the benefit of using therapeutic resources I would assume are limited on him.
3) I'm aware that is both cold and suggests some arbitrary line where people have crossed over to being beyond help, and the implications of that belief are somewhat troublesome.

On balance a humane death, or a protected custody situation seem better outcomes.

PureX

Veteran Member
Dahmer should have been put to death humanely. I do not believe it is the public's responsibility to maintain the life of someone who has proven to be such an ongoing and deadly threat to the lives of everyone else that he would have to remain imprisoned indefinately. That is a risk to society that Dahmer and those like him do not have the right to presume upon their fellow humans.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Bottom line...he was probably not treatable, and the other bottom line is society must be protected. But if he was not treatable, why would anybody think punishment would be more efficacious, or being left, as he was, to be tortured and murdered by the prison population?

It's very easy, when we have no (apparent) mental illnesses ourselves, to suppose that others are somehow to blame for theirs. But are they? would it not be enough, with such an untreatable individual, to keep them safely unable to harm anyone else, but to do no more than that? What is gained through their punishment, if they can't understand it?

Does revenge somehow make us feel better? It doesn't do it for me.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
He was innocent. Somebody stashed all that stuff in his apartment when he wasn't home then framed him. He just took responsibility for it to avoid the death penalty.

Last edited by a moderator:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh come on; anyone who has spent enough time on these forums has struggled with those desires from time to time...

Only the insightless ones.

Stashing body parts in a refrigerator is WAY more likely to get you caught than using a freezer.

ajay0

There was an ancient serial killer called Angulimala in India, who used to kill his victims and take their fingers as a souveneir,tying them in a necklace around his neck. He lived in the forest, and in spite of the best efforts of the government and army to capture him, he evaded them.

He was finally brought to sanity through the Buddha, who accepted him as a disciple in the forest. He never harmed anyone afterwards.

Aṅgulimāla - Wikipedia

So I would say, ideally, Jeffrey Dahmer should have met a Buddha and spent time with him, learning meditation and the nature of the mind. This would have been an ideal reformatory experience for him.

In India and in some parts of the world, there are meditation classes for prisoners in prisons for reformatory purposes.

FREEDOM BEHIND BARS: VIPASSANA IN PRISON

Britain's most dangerous prisoners to get meditation lessons