• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I snitch?

Should I tattle to staff?

• Yes

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

Spiderman

Veteran Member
So, recently a guy sold me a "50$" bus card as collateral to borrow 28$ from me. I agreed but only because he had gotten to know me and had all the appearance of being a meek and humble Christian always talking about Jesus.

It turns out there was -.25 cents on the card. So, I got played like a sucker. I should have called the number before I bought the card but it was like 4:30 in the morning so no one would have been there to verify anything.

Well, a sweet lady shows up at my door the next night begging for 10$ for a cab. She kept saying "Please...please" and looking at me with such sincerity. She said in her thick immigrant accent, "I pay you back tomorrow. I get paid tomorrow...I promise". Then she gave me a hug.

Well, I never saw a dime from her. Turns out the man who sold me the bus card will do anything for crack and allegedly he will even perform oral sex on a guy for it. The woman that showed up at my door was his prostitute sent by him.

I told him the card had -.25 on it and he gave me a meek and humble Christian smile and said, "I'm sorry, I gave you the wrong one".

This guy is a master con-artist most likely, but I feel sorry for him, so wont give him any more money, but I'm not going to be mean to him either. God must be paying me back for times I've been bad, but one thing I've never done is used Jesus and pretend I'm someone's friend for drug money.

I described him to one of my other friends. I said, "The guy with the gray afro". He said, "That's mike. He owes me and lots of people money. He's a con-artist".

But I don't think I will snitch on the guy to the staff here. Multiple people want him evicted. I've never snitched on anyone...neither have I reported a user at RF or anywhere. I just grew up in environments where tattle tailing is the lowest most shameful thing a person can do (after pedophilia). "Snitches get stiches".

I don't think I will tell on him because he didn't do anything illegal to me, I just feel he's going to keep manipulating people, getting them to lend him money, selling them bogus things, and fooling them with his appearance of being a kind, meek, and humble "Christian".

He came into my room and rebuked me for having a picture of a Shaman. He said, "you can't mix witchcraft and Christianity". I thought, "He really is a man of God and integrity even if I don't agree with him".

I'm trying to find that one trustworthy person in this ghetto. Two others I borrow money out to. One pays me back. The other cooks good meals for me and promises to pay back interest.

I'm definitely a sucker when it comes to kind, humble, needy looking people. Especially when they look me in the eyes with sincerity and make a promise. I ask, "what would Jesus do?"

Matthew 5:41
If a soldier demands that you carry his gear for a mile, carry it two miles
Matthew 5:42
Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.
-Christ:shrug:

If I was God I'd give everybody as much money, food, gold, or whatever, just to show them that money doesn't buy happiness.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I even have a sign on my door that says "do not ask me for money".

People still knock on the door and ask me for money.

I have the reputation now as the money lender.

I've lost well over half my monthly income to beggars who promised to pay me back or sold me bogus stuff.

I might get paid back by some of them, but I had a week of religious fervor where I just felt like God wanted me to do this. *Shrug*

The scriptures command me to do these things.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Being a constant and easy target for fleecers is not you helping them or you being a good person. It appears to me that you like being the victim, and that's your preferred role because you get some reward from this. Of course, they'll be lining up at your door to help you do that. It sounds like you've got everything you wanted for yourself. They are lining up now to help you make yourself a victim. If you don't like it, if you're done making yourself a victim and advertising that to everyone, then give yourself some charity in teaching yourself to say no.

WalterTrull

Godfella
I actually applaud your generosity. I tend to just get away from the beach. The sea seems to be teeming these days and it frightens me. I know, I know, the lilies. Still would rather distance myself. Bit of a coward I guess. Come on faith.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Being a constant and easy target for fleecers is not you helping them. Unless you like being the victim, and that's your preferred role because you get some reward from this. Of course, they'll be lining up at your door to help you do that. It sounds like you've got everything you wanted for yourself. They are lining up now. If you don't like it, if you're done making yourself a victim and advertising that to everyone, then give yourself some charity in teaching yourself to say no.
thing is, if they showed up with guns and pointed them at me, I would not give them a dime.

I'm not threatened by people who want to physically harm or kill me.

If they were being jerks about it, I wouldn't give them a dime. I cannot be punked out by things like that. I don't mind violence, and I long for death in a cool way like getting shot anyways.

Another guy wouldn't take no for an answer and I just raised my voice "NO", closed the door on him, and he hasn't returned since.

It is not fear that causes me to do this , it is compassion. I don't like being victimized, but I'm a compassionate man surrounded by needy people who appear to be friends. The Bible tells me to give to beggars.

They have the appearance of being very good people.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
But I don't think I will snitch on the guy to the staff here. Multiple people want him evicted.
I don't know enough about your situation to give specific advice.
But I will point out that not telling the staff what actually happened enables him to keep on victimizing people.
Tom

Thief

Rogue Theologian
So, recently a guy sold me a "50$" bus card as collateral to borrow 28$ from me. I agreed but only because he had gotten to know me and had all the appearance of being a meek and humble Christian always talking about Jesus.

It turns out there was -.25 cents on the card. So, I got played like a sucker. I should have called the number before I bought the card but it was like 4:30 in the morning so no one would have been there to verify anything.

Well, a sweet lady shows up at my door the next night begging for 10$ for a cab. She kept saying "Please...please" and looking at me with such sincerity. She said in her thick immigrant accent, "I pay you back tomorrow. I get paid tomorrow...I promise". Then she gave me a hug.

Well, I never saw a dime from her. Turns out the man who sold me the bus card will do anything for crack and allegedly he will even perform oral sex on a guy for it. The woman that showed up at my door was his prostitute sent by him.

I told him the card had -.25 on it and he gave me a meek and humble Christian smile and said, "I'm sorry, I gave you the wrong one".

This guy is a master con-artist most likely, but I feel sorry for him, so wont give him any more money, but I'm not going to be mean to him either. God must be paying me back for times I've been bad, but one thing I've never done is used Jesus and pretend I'm someone's friend for drug money.

I described him to one of my other friends. I said, "The guy with the gray afro". He said, "That's mike. He owes me and lots of people money. He's a con-artist".

But I don't think I will snitch on the guy to the staff here. Multiple people want him evicted. I've never snitched on anyone...neither have I reported a user at RF or anywhere. I just grew up in environments where tattle tailing is the lowest most shameful thing a person can do (after pedophilia). "Snitches get stiches".

I don't think I will tell on him because he didn't do anything illegal to me, I just feel he's going to keep manipulating people, getting them to lend him money, selling them bogus things, and fooling them with his appearance of being a kind, meek, and humble "Christian".

He came into my room and rebuked me for having a picture of a Shaman. He said, "you can't mix witchcraft and Christianity". I thought, "He really is a man of God and integrity even if I don't agree with him".

I'm trying to find that one trustworthy person in this ghetto. Two others I borrow money out to. One pays me back. The other cooks good meals for me and promises to pay back interest.

I'm definitely a sucker when it comes to kind, humble, needy looking people. Especially when they look me in the eyes with sincerity and make a promise. I ask, "what would Jesus do?"

Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

If I was God I'd give everybody as much money, food, gold, or whatever, just to show them that money doesn't buy happiness.
business is business.....
I rat out my slacker co-workers......every chance I get

what a bunch of schmucks!!!!!!!!!

part of my incentive is make sure management knows I am NOT the source of the problems

in a breath I can say....
this is the best employment I have ever had
the safest place I have ever worked in
and the most unproductive shop I have ever suffered

this bunch of slackers will let me work my *** off......
and then blame me for the fail

yes they will.....they have tried....

screw that

screw them

as for generosity dealt unto takers......
they have their reward

Spiderman

Veteran Member
PopeADope... Learn from your mistakes. Don't report the offenders unless you really think it would accomplish what you want it to accomplish. But PLEASE, for crying out loud, stop loaning people money!
Why? Because they talk about Jesus all the time. If you're going to give your money away, give it to people who act like Jesus and don't just talk about Him.
I even have doctor's orders to not loan money , for it is damaging my mental health. I'm serious... I'll stop unless someone pays me back

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I even have a sign on my door that says "do not ask me for money".

People still knock on the door and ask me for money.

I have the reputation now as the money lender.

I've lost well over half my monthly income to beggars who promised to pay me back or sold me bogus stuff.

I might get paid back by some of them, but I had a week of religious fervor where I just felt like God wanted me to do this. *Shrug*

The scriptures command me to do these things.

Maybe you ought to change that sign to read, "ask me for money so I can turn you down". Couldn't hurt...

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It is not fear that causes me to do this , it is compassion.
I didn't say it was fear. And it's not compassion to let others take advantage of you. You know better, that you are being taken advantage of, and are opening the door to them to make yourself a victim. You mask the reality of it by calling it "compassion". You put a "no solicitors" sign on your door, but if you keep answering it and giving it, they will line up by the scores. Word gets out you can be taken advantage of, and you have the proof for that already.

Have you ever heard of the Buddhist concepts of the far and near enemies? The far enemy is the obvious opposite of some positive quality. The near enemy masquares itself as the positive quality and it deceives us that we are doing that when we actually aren't. The far enemy of compassion is indifference. The near enemy of compassion is pity. True compassion would help them, while not making yourself the victim. You are making yourself the victim, and this is not genuine compassion. This is about yourself, not helping others.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I'm reminded of a quote from "The Great Divorce" that I think might apply:

“Pity was meant to be a spur that drives joy to help misery. But it can be used the wrong way round. It can be used for a kind of blackmailing. Those who choose misery can hold joy up to ransom, by pity.”

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I don't like to snitch. It doesn't make me feel good. I feel that if I let myself be conned it's because I screwed up. So the fault is mine, not theirs.

Losing the money I see as the cost of a lesson. A lesson in how to not let your compassion get the best of you. Think about what happened, how it went down and work out a solution for yourself to not let it happen next time.

There no reason IMO to trust people you don't know well. If I give money, in some risky exchange with some person I hardly know, I expect to lose out. However you do find a few honest souls you can trust.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I didn't say it was fear. And it's not compassion to let others take advantage of you. You know better, that you are being taken advantage of, and are opening the door to them to make yourself a victim. You mask the reality of it by calling it "compassion". You put a "no solicitors" sign on your door, but if you keep answering it and giving it, they will line up by the scores. Word gets out you can be taken advantage of, and you have the proof for that already.

Have you ever heard of the Buddhist concepts of the far and near enemies? The far enemy is the obvious opposite of some positive quality. The near enemy masquares itself as the positive quality and it deceives us that we are doing that when we actually aren't. The far enemy of compassion is indifference. The near enemy of compassion is pity. True compassion would help them, while not making yourself the victim. You are making yourself the victim, and this is not genuine compassion. This is about yourself, not helping others.
Great post!
One of the guys gives me delicious meals, coffee, talks about the things I like to talk about with people (he and my psychotherapist are the only two people I know like that), and he promises to pay me back with interest.

He should be getting on his general assistance soon to do so.

Scripture says to do unto others as I would want to have done to me.

I just cannot find it in me to turn that particular individual down.

but what I can say is I'm not going to give him any more money until he pays me back.

The other guy I give money to always pays me back.

The guys that screwed me over and lied to me can go f*** themselves! I will not give them a nickel!

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
The Bible tells me to give to beggars.

BUT Be careful to not misinterpret. Many misinterpret that giving money is okay. It is not IMO.

Luke 3:14
14 Then some soldiers asked him, “And what should we do?” He replied, “Don’t extort money and don’t accuse people falsely—be content with your pay.”

This verse tells not to extort money. You should not, others should not. None should.
If you give money to someone who extorts then you are responsible also.

My Master says: Your money is your responsibility. Never give money to someone who uses it wrong
Better give bread if they are hungry or coat when cold. Don't give money, because they might buy alcohol, that will be your karma
[This makes sense to me. Everything is karma]

This one says the same. Material you give (like the example of a coat)
But money you not give. Someone can borrow money, but he has to give it back.

Interpreting the Bible is not so easy. One must read very careful. Easy one misinterprets

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
A tip:
I always have a dollar bill and two quarters in my pocket, sometimes a dime and a nickel, doesn't matter, just change.
When asked, dig in your pocket and explain how sorry you are but it's all I have and give it to them. Probably, they won't be back for more. Don't ever check your wallet !

Last edited by a moderator:

stvdv

If it is a lady, and so sweet, next time tell her "you can stay in my room", that will safe you 10$ and tomorrow you can get your money. How about that?
Anyway you had a nice hug for only 10$. You live in a neighborhood with many challenges. Maybe better to lock the door and not open it after 20h

Jesus would know they were lying. But that is the best solution "just ask yourself what Jesus would do". Maybe not open the door to strangers at such a late time.
Especially living in such a rough neighborhood chances are big that at late hours the bad people walk on the street

My Master gave advice not even to walk on street after 20h. Because that is the time criminals start walking the streets
Once I walked in a dangerous street. It was 19.59. I thought, just in time. But guy came behind me. I kept walking and
he did nothing. Was a close call. I avoid going out at night at bad neighborhoods.

I think Jesus would not give people money to buy drugs. He would give bread and grapejuice (not even wine nowadays I think).

stvdv

Should I snitch?

Jesus says "Do not judge". So if you do not judge, then what is there to snitch? You only snitch if you judge, is it not?