• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I read, "Why the Jews rejected Jesus?"

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
I noticed a book on Amazon called, "Why the Jews rejected Jesus: the Turning Point in Western History" by David Klinghoffer.

There were a lot of books like it too.

Would anyone recommend or not recommend that I read this? Thanks.

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
Pardon my ignorance, what's the Discovery Institute?

I put a link in my previous post. The Discovery Institute's promotion of pseudo-science, their lack of compassion towards the homeless, and their promotion of the false claim that the 2020 presidential election was "stolen," has left me less than impressed with any author who serves as a Senior Fellow for that conservative think tank.

But people should decide for themselves. And I was sincere when I suggested that the OP read the book and write a review.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
I put a link in my previous post. The Discovery Institute's promotion of pseudo-science, their lack of compassion towards the homeless, and their promotion of the false claim that the 2020 presidential election was "stolen," has left me less than impressed with any author who serves as a Senior Fellow for that conservative think tank.

But people should decide for themselves. And I was sincere when I suggested that the OP read the book and write a review.
Thank you Rachel.

I am against the Discovery Institute.

I will not buy this book. Maybe a related book by a different author.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

Informative**

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
Thank you Rachel.

I am against the Discovery Institute.

I will not buy this book. Maybe a related book by a different author.

You're welcome Robocop, but please know that it is not my intention to discourage anyone from reading a book, God forbid.

I can at least recommend to you the book Jewish Literacy Revised Ed: The Most Important Things to Know About the Jewish Religion, Its People, and Its History, by Rabbi Joseph Telushkin. This is an excellent book that I often recommend to non-Jews who are unfamiliar with Judaism. Chapter 71 of this book discusses Jesus and what Jews reject about him. The chapters are short but cover the basics.

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I noticed a book on Amazon called, "Why the Jews rejected Jesus: the Turning Point in Western History" by David Klinghoffer.

He has written several books before this one, and I would look at one of those first. For example: https://www.amazon.com/Lord-Will-Gather-Me-Orthodoxy

"Why would a comfortably affluent, well-educated, secular Jew seek out the rigorous discipline of traditional Jewish observance? This is the intriguing question behind not just David Klinghoffer's personal story, but the..." --from the amazon selling page​
This immediately provides some context for who is writing the book about "The Jews."

He also writes, in Polish, a book which criticizes Stephen C. Meyer's book that advances a creationist book titled The Signature in the Cell. I do not know what is in his criticism but only that he opposes Meyer's book. What I can see is that he has converted to Orthodox Judaism and also that he criticizes Meyer's book about intelligent design or creationism. It doesn't give me a complete picture of the author, however it provides some frame smaller than the entire universe.

Finally I ask the question "Is his book addressed to everyone? Is he writing about why the Jews rejected Jesus as a book for the common person, or is it specifically to the Jewish person?" If it is written to you and to me, then why not at least skim it? I think though that this book is going to rehash much of what we have already heard on RF and on other web sites. I don't think its likely to be anything unique to us. For me I don't think its that expensive, but I also don't feel like I need to read it.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Sorry... I shouldn't have opened the computer window I'm fried and can't respond. Hopefully I get back to you guys tomorrow.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
You're welcome Robocop, but please know that it is not my intention to discourage anyone from reading a book, God forbid.

I can at least recommend to you the book Jewish Literacy Revised Ed: The Most Important Things to Know About the Jewish Religion, Its People, and Its History, by Rabbi Joseph Telushkin. This is an excellent book that I often recommend to non-Jews who are unfamiliar with Judaism. Chapter 71 of this book discusses Jesus and what Jews reject about him. The chapters are short but cover the basics.
I have a pretty good understanding of Judaism. I have read Abrahamic Religions for Dummies, been to the Synagogue 7 times, read esxtensively in my college library and so forth.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

I have not personally read the book, so I have no direct recommendation. However, as a rule of thumb, it is a good idea to explore what others think religiously, so that we can better understand those in our communities and around the world. It makes us better neighbors.

wellwisher

I did not read the book. However, before the time of Jesus, the Jews were expecting a different type of Messiah, someone who was rich and powerful and could subdue the enemies of Israel. Jesus did not fit that type. Jesus was more about love and forgiveness and blessed are the poor. This was not expected of the anticipated Messiah, since Jesus was acting humble and poor and not strong and rich.

Before Jesus began his ministry he went into the desert to fast and pray. He was visited by Satan, who, among other things, offers Jesus all the wealth and power of the kingdoms of the earth if Jesus would bow and serve Satan. Satan had been the Lord of the Earth in charge of humans since the time of Adam and Eve. Had Jesus accepted that offer. he could have become the expected Messiah, since Satan had that authority. However, that meant Jesus would have been under Satan in the chain of command.

Instead, Jesus chose differently and rejects Satan offer to fulfill the Messiah prophesy. This would lead to a political battle in Heaven, from which Satan and his allies would be expelled from heaven; Red Dragon of Revelations. The implications was Jesus did not follow the Old Testament script, when given the chance. He saw a higher goal; take over Satan's Job. This was a tough pill to swallow.

My interpretation is based on the inference that God was on Sabbath rest all through the Old and New Testament, and that others were doing the work, as God rested. The Sabbath of man was a reflection of heavenly things. One cannot work on the Sabbath, and if work needs to be done, it needs to be done in advance; preparations, or have other others do needed work for you.

God made provisions with Satan in the Garden of Eden before his rest began. Satan would become the Lord of the Earth to care for Adam and Eve, and their future, as he rested. God does not get back to work until late in Revelations. This is when epic creation begins again; Heavenly Jerusalem descends to earth and a new heaven and earth, are created.

When Jesus said nobody has seen the father, but the son, it was referring to the Sabbath being for the family and not for business. This shocked people to the core. People like Paul; Saul, would see, and come to terms, changing 180 degrees. Others were too invested to change.

PureX

Veteran Member

I would only read it if it's a few pages long. I see no reason that the explanation implied by the title would require a whole book to express.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Before Jesus began his ministry he went into the desert to fast and pray. He was visited by Satan,
God made provisions with Satan in the Garden of Eden before his rest began. Satan would become the Lord of the Earth to care for Adam and Eve, and their future, as he rested. God does not get back to work until late in Revelations.
Nice stories. God chose THE WRONG PERSON. What does that say about God?
Lazy irresponsible fellow. He is not there when needed. What is he doing now?

DNB

Christian

Sorry, robocop, you have not explained your intent - what are you trying to discover from the book, or is it simply the author that you are questioning?

Are you attempting to convert to either Christianity or Judaism, or just inform yourself on the issue?

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Sorry, robocop, you have not explained your intent - what are you trying to discover from the book, or is it simply the author that you are questioning?

Are you attempting to convert to either Christianity or Judaism, or just inform yourself on the issue?
I wanted to inform myself on the issue, but the author is from the Discovery Institute so its a no go.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I wanted to inform myself on the issue, but the author is from the Discovery Institute so its a no go.
You know, there is another book I spotted on Amazon that might be a better deal. It's called Twenty-six reasons Jews don't believe in Jesus by Asher Norman, an Orthodox Jew well versed in the Christian-Jewish back and forth.

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
I did not read the book. However, before the time of Jesus, the Jews were expecting a different type of Messiah, someone who was rich and powerful and could subdue the enemies of Israel. Jesus did not fit that type. Jesus was more about love and forgiveness and blessed are the poor. This was not expected of the anticipated Messiah, since Jesus was acting humble and poor and not strong and rich.

Before Jesus began his ministry he went into the desert to fast and pray. He was visited by Satan, who, among other things, offers Jesus all the wealth and power of the kingdoms of the earth if Jesus would bow and serve Satan. Satan had been the Lord of the Earth in charge of humans since the time of Adam and Eve. Had Jesus accepted that offer. he could have become the expected Messiah, since Satan had that authority. However, that meant Jesus would have been under Satan in the chain of command.

Instead, Jesus chose differently and rejects Satan offer to fulfill the Messiah prophesy. This would lead to a political battle in Heaven, from which Satan and his allies would be expelled from heaven; Red Dragon of Revelations. The implications was Jesus did not follow the Old Testament script, when given the chance. He saw a higher goal; take over Satan's Job. This was a tough pill to swallow.

My interpretation is based on the inference that God was on Sabbath rest all through the Old and New Testament, and that others were doing the work, as God rested. The Sabbath of man was a reflection of heavenly things. One cannot work on the Sabbath, and if work needs to be done, it needs to be done in advance; preparations, or have other others do needed work for you.

God made provisions with Satan in the Garden of Eden before his rest began. Satan would become the Lord of the Earth to care for Adam and Eve, and their future, as he rested. God does not get back to work until late in Revelations. This is when epic creation begins again; Heavenly Jerusalem descends to earth and a new heaven and earth, are created.

When Jesus said nobody has seen the father, but the son, it was referring to the Sabbath being for the family and not for business. This shocked people to the core. People like Paul; Saul, would see, and come to terms, changing 180 degrees. Others were too invested to change.

While it's true that in ancient times Jews envisioned a Messiah who would have the strength to defeat powerful, oppressive foes (such as the Romans) and ultimately bring about universal peace, I don't think that being "rich" had much to do with these hopes. Nowadays, I believe that the Messiah (Moshiach) is anticipated more in a spiritual sense than a warrior sense.

Additionally, Jesus wasn't rejected because he preached about the goodness of those who were humble -- there had already been many Jews teaching the same thing, from the prophet Jeremiah to Hillel the Elder (who died when Jesus was most likely a very young child). I don't even think that Jesus ever viewed himself as being the creator of a new religion to replace Judaism, but rather it was the Apostle Paul & Co. who created Christianity. There are many Jews who respect much of what Jesus taught. Jews just don't view him (or anyone else) as being the son of God, able to forgive all sins, and being the only pathway through which people may come to God.