• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I Read The Bible?

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
It's been a while since a Messiah has happened by the forum. They're always fun.
I have been contending with one for awhile, he will go nameless in this thread but he is of the sort who believes that cannibalistic giant half-angels really did exist and that the account of the Biblical flood is true

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
I have been contending with one for awhile, he will go nameless in this thread but he is of the sort who believes that cannibalistic giant half-angels really did exist and that the account of the Biblical flood is true
He isn't a Messiah claimant afaik. Plenty believe those things. No big deal.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I am not a Jew or a Christian. In my time on RF I have seen this book torn to pieces and have often admired the logic of the arguments thrown against it. Of course when I say book I have become aware of the numerous versions, translations and alterations. Other issues such as John, Constantine, Gnosticism add to the stew.

Despite the above, of late I have become very curious. Is there any good reason for a non-believer to read it? What could I expect in terms of my growth and development? Are there any good companion/guide books for beginners?

i would suggest you start from you own cultural norm and then attempt to understand another based on ideas that are generally archetypical

Last edited:

Maximilian

Energetic proclaimer of Jehovah God's Kingdom.
Is there any good reason for a non-believer to read it? What could I expect in terms of my growth and development?

With it you can learn all about your Loving Creator, Jehovah God, and develop a close personal relationship with him as millions and millions of neurotypical individuals have the world over :)

Last edited:

Milton Platt

I am not a Jew or a Christian. In my time on RF I have seen this book torn to pieces and have often admired the logic of the arguments thrown against it. Of course when I say book I have become aware of the numerous versions, translations and alterations. Other issues such as John, Constantine, Gnosticism add to the stew.

Despite the above, of late I have become very curious. Is there any good reason for a non-believer to read it? What could I expect in terms of my growth and development? Are there any good companion/guide books for beginners?

As an atheist, I would suggest that the most potent anti-apologetic is an unvarnished look at the Bible. By all means, do read it, as well as all the other "holy books" if you have the time and the desire.

InChrist

Free4ever
And God in His wisdom gave us humans the capacity for critical thinking which we must use according to the Book of Proverbs
That is true and I believe we must use that gift of critical thinking and discernment. In Proverbs 4:7 it states that Wisdom is the principle thing, get wisdom. So this tells me to seek wisdom from God first and foremost.

InChrist

Free4ever
And God gave us wisdom and enjoined us to "test all things" even scripture with a critical eye
Very true and I believe the scriptures pass the test as did the Bereans when they tested Paul's teachings.

Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true. Acts 17:11

Tumah

Veteran Member
I don't really see a reason for a non-believer to pick it up. Unless religion is a topic of interest, I don't really see a reason for it (and if it is, why limit it to the Bible?). 96.8345% will be completely irrelevant to you and the rest of it can be gained elsewhere and in less abstract terms.
As for the NT part, do you really need to read 20 or 30 books trying to convince you that some random is the prophesied messiah by lifting various verses out of their context or by imposing completely unrelated ideas into them? And bear in mind, the NT is mostly concerned with getting people to believe in it. So you go through 25 books trying to convince you that Jesus is the messiah-god and at the end of all that, he just wants you to be nice. I'm sure there are plenty of modern books that can teach you how to be nice in more concrete terms where you don't have to go through thousands of pages trying to convince you of the absurd.

tl;dr You're better off just reading "How to Win Friends and Influence People".

Last edited:

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't really see a reason for a non-believer to pick it up. Unless religion is a topic of interest, I don't really see a reason for it (and if it is, why limit it to the Bible?). 96.8345% will be completely irrelevant to you and the rest of it can be gained elsewhere and in less abstract terms.
As for the NT part, do you really need to read 20 or 30 books trying to convince you that some random is the prophesied messiah by lifting various verses out of their context or by imposing completely unrelated ideas into them? And bear in mind, the NT is mostly concerned with getting people to believe in it. So you go through 25 books trying to convince you that Jesus is the messiah-god and at the end of all that, he just wants you to be nice. I'm sure there are plenty of modern books that can teach you how to be nice in more concrete terms where you don't have to go through thousands of pages trying to convince you of the absurd.

tl;dr You're better off just reading "How to Win Friends and Influence People".
To be fair, if you need to read a book to learn how to be nice then you're kind of already in trouble really.

Also I read your last sentence as "How To Win Friends and Influence The Pope." which I am now convinced needs to be a book.

Tumah

Veteran Member
To be fair, if you need to read a book to learn how to be nice then you're kind of already in trouble really.

Yes, I am.

Also I read your last sentence as "How To Win Friends and Influence The Pope." which I am now convinced needs to be a book.
You're in a unique position here...just saying.

rocala

Thank you to all for your input.

@Sunstone I am currently reading 'The Passion of the Western Mind' by Richard Tarnas. I am looking forward to Kauffman. I have just ordered his Critique of Religion and Philosophy. Thanks for the advice.

@columbus I have enjoyed Asimov in the past. I was not aware of his Guide to the Bible. I have now ordered a copy.

@David T again thank you. I have just downloaded John Muir's 'Journeys in the Wilderness'.

Looks like I have got quite a task, but what fun.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
With it you can learn all about your Loving Creator, Jehovah God, and develop a close personal relationship with him as millions and millions of neurotypical individuals have the world over :)
I
Am
Not
Typical

Thanks
For
Excluding
Me.

PS: I believe in God.