• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I Read The Bible?

rocala

I am not a Jew or a Christian. In my time on RF I have seen this book torn to pieces and have often admired the logic of the arguments thrown against it. Of course when I say book I have become aware of the numerous versions, translations and alterations. Other issues such as John, Constantine, Gnosticism add to the stew.

Despite the above, of late I have become very curious. Is there any good reason for a non-believer to read it? What could I expect in terms of my growth and development? Are there any good companion/guide books for beginners?

Last edited:

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Read it if you want. Naturally I would suggest a Jewish translation without the Christian text glued on to the back, but it's your choice. It's not easy going and you will come across things that will make you very doubtful, uncertain and even astonished, so I would also recommend using Jewish commentary.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I am not a Jew or a Christian. In my time on RF I have seen this book torn to pieces and have often admired the logic of the arguments thrown against it. Of course when I say book I have become aware of the numerous versions, translations and alterations. Other issues such as John, Constantine, Gnosticism add to the stew.

Despite the above, of late I have become very curious. Is there any good reason for a non-believer to read it. What could I expect in terms of my growth and development? Are there any good companion/guide books for beginners.

Aside from the scholarly benefits, one benefit for a nonbeliever to read it is to better understand Christians and Jews when interacting with them. I think it would be wise for anyone participating in discourse on this forum to read any sacred text they can get their hands on.

Except Catholics. They don't have to read the Bible. At least in my experience. :D

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Read it if you want. Naturally I would suggest a Jewish translation without the Christian text glued on to the back, but it's your choice. It's not easy going and you will come across things that will make you very doubtful, uncertain and even astonished, so I would also recommend using Jewish commentary.

No bias here at all...

...nope...​

...none whatsoever...

...:100:% impartiality in this post.

:D

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster

Despite the above, of late I have become very curious. Is there any good reason for a non-believer to read it? What could I expect in terms of my growth and development? Are there any good companion/guide books for beginners?
To understand many Western cultural reference it is good to have a minimal understanding of the Bible read as literature of course

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Aside from the scholarly benefits, one benefit for a nonbeliever to read it is to better understand Christians and Jews when interacting with them. I think it would be wise for anyone participating in discourse on this forum to read any sacred text they can get their hands on.

Except Catholics. They don't have to read the Bible. At least in my experience. :D
And Presbyterians...as God's elect, we're predestined to be the elect, whether we read the good book or not...:p:D:confused::eek::oops::rolleyes:

leov

If you have such desire , you should read it, Suggest to use newer translation , may be NAS or ESV.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, I guess it depends on how much you like to read. Even if NONE of the Bible is true, it has still been a HUGE influence on European culture, from literature, to architecture, to art, and even to law. So reading it as a basis for a more thorough understanding of European history is a very good idea.

Now, it is *also* a very good place to start if you want to know more about ancient history. I would *also* read the apocrypha and some archeology about the time periods involved, but it is *one* view that can be read as part of a larger study.

David T

Premium Member

No...The bible is the experience of the territory not a map of the territory. . Throw it away, go into the territory, hike or saunter as muir would say, in the territory and read john muir. Who knows ypu might eventually understand muir, then you will begin to understand the bible.

"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks. I have already read some of Joseph Campbell, probably something to do with this current itch.

In that case, read the Bible, The Bagavad-Gita, The Koran, The Popul Vu, and maybe throw in the Iliad and the Odyssey. I'm sure you can many others to the list if you want.