• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I postpone my conversion?

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
I'm two months away from completing my conversion process to Conservative Judaism. I know in my heart and soul that I am meant to be Jewish and I one day hope to be a part of the people of Israel.

But for the past few weeks, I've been debating if I should perhaps wait for a little while before I make it official by going before the Beit Din and mikvah?

It's expected that one should at least build up observance as they make their way through conversion, yet I haven't made much progress. I don't eat pork or shellfish, but I still find myself eating non-kosher foods and mixing dairy with meat on a fairly regular basis. I don't pray that often, and barely find myself resting on Shabbat. To become Jewish is a major commitment and is something which should be taken on after much consideration. Someone on another forum described it as a Beit Din "minting a sinner."

One day I know I will be fully Jewish, but I don't know if I'm fully ready as of now. I plan on talking about this with my rabbi soon.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Spoke with my rabbi last night after class.

I was told that there isn't a time limit to conversion and it may only take me a few extra months, a year, or even ten years. Everyone is different. As long as I'm on the journey, I'm welcome in the community and would be helped along the way.

However long it takes until I know I'm ready? Only G-d knows.

Akivah

Spoke with my rabbi last night after class.

I was told that there isn't a time limit to conversion and it may only take me a few extra months, a year, or even ten years. Everyone is different. As long as I'm on the journey, I'm welcome in the community and would be helped along the way.

However long it takes until I know I'm ready? Only G-d knows.

There's no rush. I've read multiple stories from converts and they were all deeply committed and observant before their conversion was final. Better make absolutely sure that you can properly live Jewishly before making it final.

OutbackGer

No apologies for typ0s!
Just did a quick search of the forum regarding conversion and glad to find your thread. Hope to learn from your blog too.

I've only just started the process and have a long way to go, and I have an appointment with the nearest conservative synagogue in about a month's time too.