• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I buy bitcoins?!

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member
I have to say the following first:
1. I have almost no idea about what bitcoin really is!!
2. I am currently involved in building a personal house..so i have very little to invest in things like bitcoin..

also if you recommend taking such a step, then how to buy it?

Mindmaster

Premium Member
2. I am currently involved in building a personal house..so i have very little to invest in things like bitcoin..

No, because you will probably pay 20% of the value in transaction fees,

Duke_Leto

No. It's an incredibly volatile investment and it's essentially a bubble. Getting your money out of it can be difficult or expensive, and some online vendors have already stopped accepting it as payment. Investing in it right now seems really dangerous IMO.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I heard people mining for Bitcoin.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

Good luck with the building operation! :)

I suggest that you leave bit-coin alone, because each one is very very expensive now, and so would 'lock down' funds which can be converted into more simple commodities such as gold coins or collectibles if you have knowledge about any particular 'type'. A friend of mine buys and sells antique buttons! :)

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member

I don't know about this issue much
For first impression about what I heard, it's just virtual currency ,so it's had no credibal value in real life yet.

So don't waste your money :)

Laika

Premium Member

No. It looks like gambling and so you should only ever gamble with something you can afford to lose. That's regardless as to whether there is a speculative bubble or not (it looks like it is). If money is tight its a bad idea to throw it away, especially if you don't know what the risks you are taking.

Play it safe. You'll keep your money that way. :)

(p.s.I just checked google, 1 Bitcoin= £13,774.12 (UK). I wouldn't touch it and I couldn't afford to either as one bit coin is worth more than everything I have in the bank).

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

In general, when talking about investments, any time a person says "I have almost no idea what _____ is," the answer to "should I buy _____?" is "no."

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I recommend investing in Buttcoin.
th

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know about this issue much
For first impression about what I heard, it's just virtual currency ,so it's had no credibal value in real life yet.

So don't waste your money :)
It is not just virtual currency, but no you should not buy it without understanding it. I will explain what it is and why it is DOOMED unless they fix it.

Here is an analogy that is not perfect: A bitcoin is a piece if encrypted information. If you own the bitcoin, then you own the private key which can decrypt it. The bitcoin program protects the list of bitcoins. They are all kept in a very long ledger, a chain of blocks of information that has many copies, one in each computer that is part of the bitcoin process.

Three things make bitcoin possible. First, there are some math problems that can only be solved through making millions of guesses. Secondly, there are millions of computers owned by different people. Bitcoin consists of millions of computers striving to be the first to guess the solution to a math problem. It usually takes about 10 minutes for such a problem to be solved, but the length of time varies. Third, public and private encryption keys make bitcoins possible. A bitcoin is a piece of encrypted information. It has been encrypted with a public key. If you are the owner of the bitcoin, then you have the only private key that can decrypt it. Those are the 3 things that make bitcoin possible.

Every computer in a bitcoin network is busy 'Mining', running expensive electricity using programs. They are all working to guess the solution to a math problem that is inside the most recent bitcoin block of information -- and they are all checking on another's work to prevent any dishonesty. To be on the bitcoin network, your computer has to participate in this work of making guesses and guaranteeing honesty. Bitcoin is based on this, and if you are not running the program then you are paying someone else to do it for you. It is not free.

All of this only works if the computers keep mining day and night, nonstop; but there is a limit to the maximum number of bitcoins. Eventually when no one can make more bitcoins then people will stop running the bitcoin software. I think when people stop running the software, the currency will stop being secure. It will no longer be possible to prove the work and to prove that the bitcoin ledger is unchanged. It is DOOMED.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It is not just virtual currency, but no you should not buy it without understanding it. I will explain what it is and why it is DOOMED unless they fix it.

Here is an analogy that is not perfect: A bitcoin is a piece if encrypted information. If you own the bitcoin, then you own the private key which can decrypt it. The bitcoin program protects the list of bitcoins. They are all kept in a very long ledger, a chain of blocks of information that has many copies, one in each computer that is part of the bitcoin process.

Three things make bitcoin possible. First, there are some math problems that can only be solved through making millions of guesses. Secondly, there are millions of computers owned by different people. Bitcoin consists of millions of computers striving to be the first to guess the solution to a math problem. It usually takes about 10 minutes for such a problem to be solved, but the length of time varies. Third, public and private encryption keys make bitcoins possible. A bitcoin is a piece of encrypted information. It has been encrypted with a public key. If you are the owner of the bitcoin, then you have the only private key that can decrypt it. Those are the 3 things that make bitcoin possible.

Every computer in a bitcoin network is busy 'Mining', running expensive electricity using programs. They are all working to guess the solution to a math problem that is inside the most recent bitcoin block of information -- and they are all checking on another's work to prevent any dishonesty. To be on the bitcoin network, your computer has to participate in this work of making guesses and guaranteeing honesty. Bitcoin is based on this, and if you are not running the program then you are paying someone else to do it for you. It is not free.

All of this only works if the computers keep mining day and night, nonstop; but there is a limit to the maximum number of bitcoins. Eventually when no one can make more bitcoins then people will stop running the bitcoin software. I think when people stop running the software, the currency will stop being secure. It will no longer be possible to prove the work and to prove that the bitcoin ledger is unchanged. It is DOOMED.
Sounds like an elaborate game.
I'd rather invest in booze.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Sounds like an elaborate game.
I'd rather invest in booze.
Its an experiment not a joke!

I think what will happen in the long run with this technology is that blockchain will stop being used directly as currency and will be used to guarantee information for shorter periods of time such as for 2 months or a year. The 'Bitcoins' will have expiration dates. Instead of currency the system will act as a notary. That has financial benefits and may improve institutional efficiency. It could allow funds while out on a trip, for example; while not acting as a bank vault. It could guarantee honest elections and such.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member

Mark Twain said, "Invest in real estate. It's the only thing they don't make more of."

Sanzbir

Diversifying your wealth is not a bad thing. There are some people who will say that Bitcoin has no inherent value, but most currencies don't. There are also detractors who seem to think electricity used to mine bitcoin is a lot more expensive then it is.

But it's still a currency. And there are people who will accept the currency and people who will change it into different currency. So it's good enough in terms of being a currency. And in some places where the official currency is trash, like Venezuela, then Bitcoin and other alternate currencies are probably a necessary investment.

The main thing to keep in mind is never put all your eggs in one basket. Do not put everything you have into a single currency system. And furthermore keep all your passwords and keys private.

But

If this is the case, don't do it. Don't ever put your wealth into a system of money you don't understand. That's the best advice that could be offered.

(And this advice I'd apply to your nation's official currency as well!! If you don't know how it works, take the time to learn before trusting your savings into that type of currency.)